TKR Pain 2 years after TKR

Been a not bad day. Short drive this morning then at a BBQ this afternoon. Didn't do any exercises as listening to all on here and have decided to just let it happen. Will take things easy and see what surgeon says on Friday. Thigh did have a wobble again today and its an awful feeling. Well continue to use my stick as long as this is happening.
 
Just when you thought the sleepless nights were over along comes another one It's 3.30am and I haven't managed any sleep yet.
 
It’s very normal to have the weak wobbly feeling at this point in recovery. Remember what was done to your leg during surgery and it’s no wonder. With all the walking you like to do your muscles will strengthen once the swelling goes down and you’re walking again.

The exercises you mentioned aren’t really for strength anyway, but I think you’re smart to hold off while the knee is swollen and sore.
 
Thanks @KarriB
Was very good today. Did nothing. Elevated and iced. No exercises. So why is my knee uncomfortable and why am I still awake at 1.50am!!! Have tried every which way to get comfy in bed and it isn't happening. Have read for a while to see if that would help. Will get lights out again and hope for some sleep
 
One of the hardest things I had to accept after my first tkr was that there would be many sleepless nights....for months afterwards. It's been a little easier this time but it is frustrating to sleep one or two nights because you think you've turned a corner - and then not sleep the third and/or fourth night. The thing I find strange is I can place my numerous pillows in the bed the exact same way every night, get into bed the exact same way every night, have the fan on, everything exactly the same - and sleep is easy one night; impossible the next.
This is what I constantly tell myself. In this recovery, today has nothing to do with yesterday and it won't have anything to do with tomorrow. Each day is what it is and we just have to take it as it comes.
 
@Laurenkate That's exactly how it is... just as you said. Can do everything the same, can have had a couple of good night's then wham....a sleepless night and uncomfortable. Enough to make me scream with frustration.
 
Early in recovery our knees march to their own inner drummer and often there is no reason at all for why they swell or hurt or feel stiff. Well, there is a reason: healing. But we don't know why the knee is stiff one day and feels so much better (or worse) the next. Gradually, though, you will have more better days and far fewer worse ones. :yes!:

Hang in there, Mollymax!
 
Mentioned this is another thread but it really is like having a new baby in the house. First, your body is in shock, you have brain fog (or "baby brain" as I called it), lots of sleepless nights and then, just as you think things are settling down & you have some type of schedule and know what to expect, BAM! Something else happens which throws that all out of whack.
The good news (at least for me) is that the past 2-3 years has made me very, very grateful for lots of little things like
"normal" days & sleeping for more than 67 minutes at a time during the night.
 
Ugh, sleepless nights were the worst (besides the infection) for me, consequently I never take a good night’s sleep for granted now and look forward to going to bed. Somewhere there’s a scribble that is the recovery path for a TKR and that’s what it looks like, a scribble. This recovery isn’t linear at all...:shrug:
 
I'm 17 weeks post surgery, and I still occasionally get the weak knee feeling, like it's going to give out. It happened today. From reading posts on Bonesmart, I know it's a normal part of my recovery, so I'm not worried about it. Right now, I'm in my recliner with ice on the knee, as it has been a little achy today.
 
@Mollymax have you had your meeting with your manager yet? If so, how did it go?
 
@KitKat64 it's a horrible feeling when it wants to give out. As I am only 7 weeks tomorrow I presume this will get better.
@Spex10 the meeting is tomorrow.
Now at home. Its been 7 weeks since I was home. Had the stairs to cope with. Managed OK but still going up and down one at a time. How long does it take to start doing the stairs normally?
Busy week as have work meeting tomorrow, hair appointment on Thursday and see the surgeon on Friday.
Tired tonight. Although I wasn't driving it was still a 2 hour journey home. Have restless legs tonight. Haven't done any of the exercises the last few days as per advice on here. Don't think my knee is bending any better than when at physio last week. Will find out on Friday and see what surgeon says.
Have booked airport assistance for my holiday as its in 5 weeks and I dont think I will be ready to walk long distance to hate and cope with queues and stairs.
 
@Mollymax hope all goes ok in tomorrow’s meeting. I hope you are taking PCS (Union) with you. Your rep will know the drill I did that role for 25 years only recently stood down.
Just keep referring manager back to guidance which clearly differentiates from general illness and an operation.
Fingers crossed for you.
 
@Kazmeraz I will keep referring her to the fact it was a major operation not just a sickie. I know I am now 7 weeks just op but feeling a bit guilty I am not ready to go back to work. Still don't trust my leg not to wobble /give way so still using a stick when outside. Knee still pretty swollen and very stiff. Still limping but the other knee is causing that I think. Still not sleeping as I just can't get knee comfy enough. Have more pain in my bed than when up and about..
Talking about bed I have been trying to sleep on my back which I hate but when I try to turn onto my side (either side) my knee feels weird in a heavy kind of way. I worry that I shouldn't be lying on my side yet. Is it OK to sleep on your side at this point. I won't do the knee any harm? I tend to throw one leg over the other when sleeping as in I don't have a leg on top of the other if that makes sense.
 
Is it OK to sleep on your side at this point.

@Mollymax I slept with a pillow between my knees on my side, and still do in fact. Not sure I'll ever be able to give the pillow up, but who cares, right? IMHO, your knee will let you know when you can sleep on your side. For me it was gradual, at first just for 10 or 15 minutes, then back to the back. In time I was able to fall asleep on my side, but then I'd wake up a couple hours later hurting. The hurting would go away with a trip to the bathroom, and then I'd go back to sleep on my back. In time, probably at about 5 or so months, I was able to sleep comfortably on my side with the pillows between my knees and not wake up hurting.
 
By sleeping on your side you won’t damage your knee. The implant is sturdy. You might find that your soft tissues object to certain positions or angles at first. I am a side-sleeper and it’s no problem at all... now. For the first few months, though, every time I tried to sleep on my side, my left knee would act up. It was a finicky knee. The day came when I could sleep as @mlwreader says: with a pillow between my knees. Eventually that was no longer needed.

Give side sleeping a try. Your knee will let you know if it’s good with that.
 
It was months before I could sleep on my side with the first tkr. Like mlwreader, I can turn on my side with this one but only for about 30 minutes & I usually try it about 4 a.m. when my back starts to hurt. Doubt i'll ever sleep without a pillow between my knees again.
 
it's a horrible feeling when it wants to give out. As I am only 7 weeks tomorrow I presume this will get better.
It will, it just takes time. I'm also reminding myself of this, as I tend to be a bit impatient with my recovery. I really want to start up my walking again, as I just love to walk!! But, I've only been back to work 8 weeks tomorrow, and I still tend to get some minor swelling and aches in the leg, especially at the end of my work day. I have been icing the knee and elevating my legs in the evenings, and this seems to help. I just keep reminding myself to be patient, and take it one day at a time.
 
@Mollymax @KitKat64. Its so nice to see others having similar experiences. The side sleeping has been an off an on for me as well and definitely a pillow is required but even then only for short periods and I wake up in more pain than I have during the day. I look forward to the day I can sleep all night again.

I am finding I am not being patient enough with myself because my brain wants to do things but my knee not so much.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
@Mollymax @KitKat64. Its so nice to see others having similar experiences. The side sleeping has been an off an on for me as well and definitely a pillow is required but even then only for short periods and I wake up in more pain than I have during the day. I look forward to the day I can sleep all night again.

I am finding I am not being patient enough with myself because my brain wants to do things but my knee not so much.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can relate...haven't had my surgery yet, but my brain already wants to do things my knees can't. And, sounds like the side-sleeping will be an issue here as well.
Maine...a great state! Grew up there and most of my family still lives in the Portland area.
 
Back
Top Bottom