• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

[THR] Over the first hill...ready for the rest

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
@kfisher119
You aren’t being a Debbie Downer, you're in pain. If I was your friend and knew you weren't talking to me about it or asking for help? Well, lets just say I’d be very disappointed in you. :snork:
Sometimes we just need help and we need to ask for it.
Hopefully you can rest and relax for the rest of the day.
With my first hip I knew husband would be stretched thin at work do I signed up for some aides to stop by a few hours on the days he was at work.
Best thing I ever did. They even walked the dog and ran the vacuum, if needed.
Things will improve, but please don't be hard on yourself, ok? :console2:

mainegirl1

graduate
Country
"Everyone knew someone who had a hip replacement".. Aah! As a kid did you ever play Telephone? The word at the beginning had nothing to do with the word at the end. Same goes for the stories told by some who knew others brothers in law yadda yadda.

If you have friends who HAVE had a hip replacement they are great.

Hey I bet your outing was worth it! Sure you joined the ODIC club but sometimes you have to feed your mental health.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello again...
You've had a rough year for sure. The loss of your dog and resulting depression, taking the trip that wasn't all you hoped it would be, the realization you needed surgery and all the planning and anxiety that accompanies it. Now in recovery and in pain, worried about the best approach with hubs in having your needs met all the while you're both dealing with the stress that can go along with having your own business. That's a lot!

The concert in Philly with all it involved, long car rides, sitting in the restaurant...normally uncomfortable at this stage of recovery, sitting three hrs in the venue, and walking for blocks was quite ambitious for only three weeks post op and I can definitely see why you'd be tired and feeling some pain. Hopefully with some dedicated icing and rest today you'll feel better tomorrow.

Please consider calling the office of your OS inquiring about more effective pain management, rather than waiting another week and a half. Just hate to think of you struggling like that if you can get help.

Hopefully tomorrow is a better day!
@kfisher119

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Often, overactivity can land us back to square one.
Lots of healing happening and unfortunately it happens at it's own pace.
Pretending all is ok and soldiering through it may not be helpful.
It will all be worth it in the end...
Healing hugs @kfisher119 :console2:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello,
Stopping by to say Hi and see how you're doing.
I hope things are feeling a bit brighter since you last posted.
We're here for you if you need support. Wishing you a peaceful rest of the week.
@kfisher119

OP
OP
K

kfisher119

Country
Thank you @Layla. Yes, I'm doing a little better today. I actually went into the office for two hours this morning. I didn't have that much work to do and I'd say the limiting factor was my comfort level in the office chair. I'm home with my ice and seem to be managing my pain during the day pretty well on Tylenol. Thank you so much for checking in on me.

KarenKat

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
So pleased you’ve had a better day, hopefully there will be many more in quick succession-Take care x

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi :hi:
Thank you on behalf of BoneSmart.
We appreciate you taking the time to let us know you approve.
Have a wonderful rest of the week! :)
@kfisher

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@kfisher119 you sound like you are doing much better, that is fantastic! I like the sound of you working just a couple hours. I wish that's all we needed to work each day.. I like new forum, too. My eyes are happier.

SurreyGirl

post-grad
Country
Please don’t be afraid to reach out to friends. You don’t need to be a Debbie Downer, just try to meet up for a coffee - armed with a comfortable cushion - and listen to their lives and problems and have a conversation. It will help your husband too. Certainly worked in my case and I never realised how many friends I had until this happened. I was so grateful for “normal” company rather than a pressure cooker environment at home. Best of luck with your continuing recovery. And DONT join the OFIC!!

Calgal

senior
Country
Hi @kfisher119 . My husband was very supportive but soon tired of the physical tasks of keeping up a household! Cooking, cleaning, washing clothes, all dog walking plus caring for someone else's needs 24/7. Welcome to my world! :rotfl:. Hope as you are improving he has calmed down. And I do hope you are improving. I agree with others regarding staying on top of the meds and calling your OS or even your GP with the pain issues. Sorry you have had so much pain and don't worry about being a Debbie Downer, that's what this forum is for. We've all had a good whine about something at some point. It will get better, promise. :thumb:

OP
OP
K

kfisher119

Country
I so appreciate everyone’s support during my difficult days. I’ve felt some physical improvement over the last week. The pain is by no means gone but I’ve been able to back off to Tylenol only during the day. I still take a Tramadol at night to try and guarantee a decent night’s sleep and I still sleep with ice packs in the recliner. I’m having the most pain problems in the SI joint area, the incision, the groin and the lateral side of my knee. I finally see my OS next Thursday.

I’ve gone to the office twice this past week for just a couple of hours and brought home some work to do from here. Yesterday, I drove my car about a quarter mile to the store to pick up a few things before being taken home from the office. I have not been cleared to drive yet but I’m so sick of having to ask for things I insisted on doing it myself. The vibe of resentment is palpable and so I just won’t ask for anything that I can try and do myself. We are ALL weary of my limitations. I promised that if I felt like there was any issue controlling the car in the office parking lot that I would park and not go. What really stunned me was how quickly I wore out at the store. It was a short list but since I’ve been housebound they rearranged everything in the store so I had to wander more than I expected. My shoulder actually got pretty sore from leaning on the cart. Once home, I made my own lunch but later in the afternoon I laid down for a short nap (with ice) and slept like a stone about 2 hours until dinner. The good news is, even though I exhausted myself I didn’t feel more pain. It just amazes me how worn out I get over the simplest things.

I think this is the hardest part in some ways. I’m happy the pain is more manageable but I’m still moving slow and with a lot of caution. I am not ready to let go of the support of the cane. The family sees me doing better so they assume I need less help. I’ll ask for help with something once, then either push to do it myself or just give up that it’s not going to happen. I knew it would evolve this way and I even had a tearful discussion with my husband about it pre-op. He tried to reassure me but I knew he thought it would only be a couple of weeks and not drag on. Reading BoneSmart was what gave me the first glimpses into what I was facing and I’ll admit, it scared me. The OS was so blasé about what recovery involved and that’s what set the husband’s expectations. Overall, I think I’m doing pretty well considering a lot of the experiences I read here. But the message I continue to come away with is to not push too hard too soon and risk a setback. I feel like I’m between a rock and a hard place.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Thanks for updating! It's good to read you're noticing progress and your pain is easing. Those early outings that involve a lot of walking can quickly wear you out. You're experiencing Energy Drain and your body is using energy first to heal, not leaving a lot for the activities of daily living.

I'm sorry you continue to feel like a burden at times. You're handling it well it seems. With each passing week given the progress you're making, your confidence will increase along with your mobility allowing you to be more self sufficient. The saying comes to mind "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger." I believe you'll come out of this as more aware of others needs and with a new feeling of gratitude for the second chance you've received. The loneliness and frustration you're feeling at times will pale in comparison.

Use the Activity Progression For THR as a rough gauge for the next month so you're reasonably active without going overboard and sidelining your recovery. I've included it for quick reference.

Wishing you a pleasant Friday, great weekend and best of luck at your Post Op next Thursday if we don't hear from you before then. Stay in touch! :flwrysmile:
@kfisher119

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I felt like that at times, too. That it was easier to do it myself than feel the palpable annoyance. sigh
My husband had a couple major surgeries in the past year so he definitely was more empathetic, but at times it was still subpar.:heehee:

The energy drain is real! I could read your post and literally feel it for you. So glad to read that you took a nice long nap with ice and didn't feel too badly after. That is a good sign of progress.
Good luck with your OS follow up visit.
Just remember to take things slow and easy.. it's frustrating as can be, but the set backs are even more frustrating!
Have a good weekend!! :flwrysmile:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Happy One Month Anniversary!
Wishing you a beautiful Sunday and a wonderful week to come! :flwrysmile:
@kfisher119

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
You're welcome...we're here for you!
Please stay in touch with updates. We want to follow your journey.
A pleasant Monday to you! :SUNsmile:
@kfisher119

OP
OP
K

kfisher119

Country
Last night, I slept in bed for the first time since I tried for half the night my first night home. It was the worst sleep I’ve had post op. Tried sleeping on my back and on my non op side with a pillow to support my leg but couldn’t get comfortable enough to get quality sleep. Wow, today I am so stiff, especially in my lower back and front pelvic region. So, it’s back to the recliner again tonight. I went to work for a few hours this morning and was fairly productive but SOOOOO stiff when I got up out of my chair. Home now...nap time!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I'm sorry. Stiff and tired is miserable. It can be difficult to get comfortable enough to sleep soundly in the early weeks. I slept in a recliner for several weeks, myself, so I understand. Best news is, it's only temporary and it will improve. Hope you're able to fit in a nap today and some restorative rest this evening. Good Luck!
@kfisher119

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Retiredmam
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom