THR Over the first hill...ready for the rest

I'm sorry to hear about your mom. My grandma broke her hip in her 90's and did really well after her surgery. She lived many years beyond her fall. I certainly understand the fear involved though and the helpless feeling with your inability to be there. I wish her comfort and speedy healing.

But it does not seem targeted to my complaints. His philosophy is that muscle needs rich blood flow to heal. So I do a series of exercises with very moderate resistance but with speed and repetition to increase my heart rate. We shall see

Please take this slow and don't push yourself. If anything hurts, I'd advise you stop. You've come this far, I'd hate to see you stall out your recovery at this point.

Possibly you should check in with your OS in regard to some of the issues you're dealing with as well as your PT regimen. I believe when they say they don't "need" to see you they mean unless you have issues and while yours may not be serious, I think it may be worth checking out before March. Even a phone conversation with a member of your OS's care team may suffice. They'll either offer reassurance, or have you schedule an earlier appt. Something for you to consider...

Have a good week and a Happy Thanksgiving!
 
Hi @kfisher119
Stopping by to say :hi: also to wish you a Happy Three Month Anniversary! I hope all is well with you.

I'm wondering how your mom is doing and if she's out of the re-hab hospital yet? I hope she's healing and thriving.

If we don't hear from you before Christmas, I hope you have a good one celebrating with all those you hold dear and may 2020 be a great year for you!
 
I see it's been a year since I checked in. The progress has been much slower than I expected and I was trying to just hang in there. But at this point, I have some questions and don't know where else to turn. The right hip that was replaced (lateral) feels ok. But I am having terrible problems with muscle stiffness in my entire lower body. My surgeon did not recommend PT, he said just walking would be enough. It wasn't. I finally got my primary to refer me for PT and I went 2X a week for about 16 weeks. I did get a little better as far as normal life activities are concerned. But, if I try and walk for an extended period of time/distance (over a couple of miles) I completely break down. My quads and hip flexors tighten so much that my stride shortens to s shuffle. I can feel the complete muscle exhaustion in my legs and lower back. I start to hunch over and have trouble straightening up and I start to limp. I feel like there's a terrible physical imbalance, too much stress of my quads and they become exhausted and the rest of my lower body musculature can't pick up the slack.

I've explained this to PT and they nod and just have me go on with a recumbent stepper machine and balancing exercises. I'm so frustrated because I don't feel like anyone listens to what I'm trying to tell them. Husband wants me back at the same PT even if insurance won't pay. I feel like it's a waste of time and money if they won't listen to me.

Has anyone else had these kinds of issues? Before my hip went bad, I was walking 5-7 miles a day. I could do a long and strenuous hike. Now I feel like a blob who holds everyone back on the easiest walk. I thought I'd be leading the pack by the time I was a year + post op.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom