• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

[THR] Over the first hill...ready for the rest

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
You'll feel better for backing off for a while. I know it's frustrating but it's so worth it. I understand wanting to test things once in a while but try to do it in small increments. We've all been through it and it's so frustrating when you have those set backs.
You are in the early days and doing well. Congratulations! Have a nice weekend. :flwrysmile:

swimmer77

Country
Welcome to the ODIC (over did it club). I'm only somewhat of an expert in my own recovery. I've had to "rethink" a couple of times now how I want to approach PT. I mostly walk (with crutches yet mainly because of knee pain) as my body allows and do some exercises every now and then. The weekend I will spend "resting" for the most part even though I am in my fourth week. I think you will learn in the early phases what you can and cannot do. And don't forget the ice and elevate!

Good luck and there is a lot of beneficial reading material here to help you along.

DEL2019Sep-7

Wonderful! It feels so good to get to the point where we can see and feel our progress, strength, and decrease in drug (especially). And you're there so early in your recovery. Awesome! It also sounds as if you will be using your wise inner guidance system to provide the "push a little harder" messages that will surely come.

Please let us know of your on-going progress.

Last edited by a moderator:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
The activity progression guidelines seem pretty conservative but i’m Using the as a baseline from here on out.
This is true, but when followed, it does seem to keep people out of trouble in the early weeks when finding yourself sidelined from overdoing it feels overwhelming. Understandably, we're all anxious to get through early recovery and on with the business of living. I hope you had a nice weekend.
Happy Monday!

OP
OP
K

kfisher119

Country
This may seem like a stupid question but since my doctor did not recommend any therapy, just walking at home, I need some guidance. Today I am feeling like I could try short distances around the house on my cane. Should you use the cane on the side with the new hip or the good leg? My right hip was replaced and I'm right handed so my head thinks it the cane should be on my right side. But I seem to need the support on my left side. I've noticed on the walker that I lean a bit to the left. If this uneven leg length? Thanks for advice.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@kfisher119 When it's your right hip that was replaced you will need the cane on your left side. So your instincts are correct! I'm adding a link that shows how to make the cane the perfect height for you, too.
I hope this helps.
You move the left hand with the cane as you step forward with your right foot.
Good luck!!

P.S. Your muscles have been through a lot recently, it's doubtful that you are leaning because of a LLD, most likely it's just weak muscles try to figure out their new role. I did a 'dip and weave thing' for the first 4-5 weeks with this most recent hip. Now I am gliding along.. ok, maybe not gliding, but much improved!

Canes: make sure your cane/walking stick is the correct height

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kfisher119

Country
I feel like my recovery has stalled and trying not to get scared or frustrated. I’m 2 weeks post op tomorrow. Still spending the bulk of my time sitting and still dependent on the walker. Trying so hard to do without meds and I’ve cut way back but when I do, it hurts. I have pain running down the lateral side of my leg, just above my hip in the lower back (SI joint area), groin, lateral knee, calf and ankle. When walking, I can feel a pull all the way along the outside of my leg. My lateral incision in healing well, I’ve had minimal swelling and bruising but I definitely hurt more now than I did before the procedure. I’m still spending a lot of time packed in ice. So happy when I read about others getting around quickly post op but wondering what’s going on with me or if i’m doing something wrong. I am getting out of the house for a short neighborhood walk a couple of times a day and puttering around some in the house on my walker but I quickly feel I’ve pushed too far and have to retreat to my ice packs. Are my expectations out of whack?

mainegirl1

graduate
Country
@kfisher119

Don't try to cut back your meds: I found that with time I simply forgot to take them..The first two weeks are not fun and many of us have had the same sensations of pull on the leg in the early weeks.

I understand to be wanting to be up and about.. Is it possible to take a short spin in a car just for a change of scenery?

Icing and elevating is not doing nothing.. PS if you sit with feet on floor that for me was pretty discomfort inducing early on

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I’m 2 weeks post op tomorrow. Still spending the bulk of my time sitting and still dependent on the walker
Very normal, was for me.

Trying so hard to do without meds and I’ve cut way back but when I do, it hurts.
Stay ahead of the pain...keeps you mobile and resting better.:yes:

I’m still spending a lot of time packed in ice.
Perfect.:ice: Lots of soft tissue and internal inflammation that benefits from this. I didn't have excessive swelling or bruising either...but I think this may be due to my constant icing.
I am getting out of the house for a short neighborhood walk a couple of times a day and puttering around some in the house on my walker but I quickly feel I’ve pushed too far and have to retreat to my ice packs. Are my expectations out of whack?
In a word, yes.
I would forego the short neighborhood walks, just stick with the puttering on even surfaces.
Even slight inclines and declines can be tough on all those recently disturbed tendons and muscles.

Maybe a very short walk every other day for a change of scenery. You dont want to be sedentary, but your body is utilizing precious energy for healing so resting and icing is best for now. Boring:umm:but best:)
All temporary, friend.
Healing hugs coming your way.:roseshwr:

OP
OP
K

kfisher119

Country
I’m hesitant to post because I hate sounding like a whiner but I really need some support from people who get it. I had a sobbing meltdown this morning over the non ending nagging pain. I’m at three weeks post on Friday, I was really sure that I’d be doing better than this by now. The incision pain has improved and this week I’m trying to rely more on a cane than a walker. But, my whole leg hurts unless i’m taking prescription drugs. Tylenol (even large doses) doesn’t touch it. I hurt in the SI joint and my gluteus, I have stabbing pain in the groin (adductors), the area where muscles attach on the lateral side of me knee hurts almost all the time and there is pain down the lateral side of my shin into my ankle. Sometimes even my foot and toe hurt. Of course pre-op and in the hospital I got firmly directed to try and get by without the prescription meds so every time I have to break down and take one I’m distressed. I called the pharmacy and asked if I could split them so I could take less before the pain got so bad that I need a whole one. Still spending lot’s of time on ice. My doctor is of the no PT philosophy which I completely understand. But I have to wonder if my mechanics are just completely messed up from my pre-op compensation and/or how I’m compensating now. Just so frustrated. Thanks for listening.

gertie

post-grad
Country
@kfisher119 We have all moaned, whined, complained on here because, as you say, people here get it. Those first weeks can seem never-ending and post-op blues are a real thing. Maybe you've moved off the walker too soon and are stressing things by relying on a cane? Just a thought. I remember having lots of migrating pains in the first weeks and the in-home PT would just reassure me that it was all normal as my body adjusted to a new alignment. Things did ease up but at 3 months out I still get some pain and tightness along the IT band on both legs and often feel more soreness in my knees than my hips--I trust it will all eventually improve.

gertie

post-grad
Country
@kfisher119 Just thinking more about the cane vs. walker. Much as I hated the walker for various reasons it did help me feel more aligned and balanced early on which helped with pain. And I had a PT observe me when I switched to the cane and let me know whether I was standing straight, leaning too much, putting too much weight on the cane, etc. I first tried going to a cane at about 10 days and with her feedback realized it was too soon--a few days later I was fine using the cane. (I now use trekking poles when I go for a long walk--they provide a bit of support and help me keep good posture and alignment.)

When do you have a follow up visit w the OS? Maybe get a limited PT referral focused on gait assessment?

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Ok, slow deep breaths, sweetie...you're going to be ok, really you are. You're prime time for Post Op Blues, so know you're not alone. While it may feel like cold comfort, it's normal and it will pass.
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/post-op-blues-is-a-reality-be-prepared-for-it.7591/

Possibly you should hold off on the cane for several more days. Wondering if you've had your first post op visit yet? Please lose the guilt in taking prescription meds if you need them. It's early in the game. You have to keep the pain well managed so you're able to be comfortably mobile. I don't think you need to be worrying about tapering off meds when you're not even three weeks post op yet.

You mentioned you're icing. Possibly you can ramp it up. While icing make sure you're doing it for 40-60 minutes, no less, each time you ice. Target at least 4 x daily. I iced more often early on. If I was sitting or laying down, I was icing. It's beneficial for pain and swelling.
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/ice-to-control-pain-and-swelling.5493/

As far as Activity...try sticking by the Activity Progression For THR for several more weeks to keep your Activity in check. http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/

Please don't ever be hesitant to post, or feel like a whiner. Recovery is no picnic and we who are ahead of you understand. So please reach out for support and encouragement whenever you feel the need. We're here and we care.

Wishing you comfort and a peaceful Wednesday :console2:

mainegirl1

graduate
Country
We get around post op because we try to keep pain managed and not get behind
Rationing just puts you at a disadvantage.
When its time to taper you will start forgetting meds. Don't plan on trying to forget . When its appropriate it just happens.
Please don't get down on yourself as upubdid nothing wrong . You got terrible pain management advice in hospital.
At any rate things should ease in a week or so.
I had similar discomfort but medicines took the edge off

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@kfisher119 Oh dear, you sound like many of us at this stage.. please don't despair. Things really do get better.
I agree with @gerie's question about maybe remaining on the walker for a while longer?
Don't compare yourself with any other member in recovery, either. Your surgery may have been a little more "strenuous" and the soft tissues are very unhappy.
I would use your prescription and now feel guilty or inadequate and maybe it's time to put a call in to your OS office and make sure you can get a refill, when ready. Maybe that will ease your mind.
Take care of yourself.. you will begin feeling better in another week or two.
((hugs))

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Early days! You are doing great. Don't worry about needing walking aids, your walker or pain meds. Keep icing and try and focus on the end goal - getting on with living!

OP
OP
K

kfisher119

Country
Just rounded the corner week 3 into week 4. I’ve been off my walker for a few days now and I move around ok but pain does not seem to be improving much. I’m still in more intense and chronic pain in my hip and leg than I was pre-op. I keep wondering about the comments I have read that say patients feel immediately better after the surgery because the arthritis pain is just gone! The pain is not excruciating, probably around a 3 but it’s constant, even with taking meds faithfully. I actually felt a little better yesterday after a big outing Friday night but as the day wore on I felt worse and worse and today malaise and discouragement has taken over.

Before the surgery I had been reading in this forum and was becoming enlightened to the fact that recovery could be longer and slower than the surgeon suggested. I was talking to me husband about it and started to cry. At the time, he assured me he was going to “take care of me...I didn’t need to worry”. I believed with skepticism. And at three weeks, he’s had it with my inability, he’s tired of having to wake up and deal with the dog first thing, he’s sick of seeing me constantly on ice on a chair, and he certainly doesn’t get why I’m lukewarm on venturing out. I have never been high maintenance and I have never maintained a “honey do” list. I’ll ask for help once and if it doesn’t happen I don’t nag, I just find a way to do it myself or fit it into my schedule. But now I can’t and it’s putting such a strain on both of us. I’m trying to do as much as a can for myself but I know sometimes it’s more than I should do. Thank the universe this is just temporary. I just wish the temporary would be more like I envisioned than it is in reality.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I'm so sorry. My heart goes out to you. :console2: It's awful you're feeling needy and as though you're a burden. I'm wondering if slowly trying to be more active would help? I'm curious because you mentioned after some activity Friday evening, you were feeling better yesterday morning...before you tired yourself out. I'm betting the distraction of whatever you were doing also kept your pain away from the forefront of your mind.

Have you had your post op appt yet? If so, did you mention to your surgeon that the pain you're experiencing while not excruciating and tolerable, is chronic and more intense than pre-op? If not, I think I'd touch base with him by phone. I'm sure a member of his care team could figure out whether you need to schedule an appt through general conversation and a few questions.

You are only 23 days post op. Many are still experiencing pain, still on meds, tired, using assistive devices and needing help around the home. Sadly hubs is misinformed. Is the dog yours alone? Does your husband know the pain from the major surgery of THR through experience? I'd cut him loose as much as possible only because he seems to be rather intolerant currently so why have him around stressing you both out, if he's interested or willing to be away from home more often for the time being I'd encourage it. Do you have a friend, close family member or neighbor that could check on you daily and assist with the things you need help with for a short time?

I'm sure you're dealing with both Energy Drain, which is normal and Post op Blues. Please read both articles from the Recovery Guidelines and come here to vent whenever you feel the need. We're here, we care and understand.

Wishing you a peaceful day and brighter week ahead!
@kfisher119

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
And at three weeks, he’s had it with my inability, he’s tired of having to wake up and deal with the dog first thing, he’s sick of seeing me constantly on ice on a chair, and he certainly doesn’t get why I’m lukewarm on venturing out.
Sounds like Hubby's expectations need to be reset. This is major surgery and you are not going to bound back into action. Have him watch a video of the procedure. He will soon see that it is a little more than having your toenails clipped.

Very early days for you my friend. Hang in there - it does get better.

OP
OP
K

kfisher119

Country
@Layla, I am not scheduled for post op appt until 10/10. I was thinking I might call his nurse but I have not had much luck with call backs. The dog is ours but he’s a golden retriever puppy (6 months) that we got at my insistence over the grief I was feeling when we lost our last dog in February. I was severely depressed after we lost him. At the time, we didn’t know a surgery was coming up within months and I was the primary puppy wrangler up until the day I went into surgery.

We determined that I had to consider surgery after a trip to Paris in April where our activities were curtailed when it was clear I couldn’t walk for long periods of time. Up until then, I was in denial of how serious it was. Xrays showed the arthritic degeneration and the doctors pitch was “are you satisfied with your quality of life because it’s not going to improve without surgery”. Three years ago I had another doctor cavalierly suggest surgery. I went in concerned about stiffness not pain. She saw the xrays, diagnosed moderate OA and said, “we can fix that with surgery” before ANYTHING else had been tried. I’ve been lucky to have no major health issues prior to this so I view doctors over anxious to cut with a lot of skepticism. It feels like a sales pitch, not what’s in my best interest.

Regarding the husband, no he has no personal experience with major surgery and as I said, this I my first big health issue. We are both active and in good health. I have to cut him a bit of slack as on top of this, there are major things going on within our business that I cannot help with and are causing him a lot of stress. So he has a lot on his mind that is critical to our financial future. This is one reason I know I won’t pressure him regarding what I need. My sister was here the first week and a good friend was here for several days of the second so it definitely was not all on him during the worst part. But we were really misled by the medical team, no one addressed post op pain at all and the surgeon painted post op as easy-peasy. The nurse told us that she gets the most calls from patients concerned about swelling and blood clots...not one mention to us about pain management except the hospital would send me home with what I’d need.

Our outing was a big one. Our daughters were treating us to dinner and a concert in Philadelphia as a gift. Concert tickets were purchased in January and one daughter flew in from Boston. It involved a long car ride both ways, sitting in a restaurant, walking 4 blocks to the venue and the another 3 hours at the show. I expected to be unable to move the next morning but when I got up I felt the best I have felt post op. But as the day wore on, the pain returned and today I hurt no matter what I do. I’m uncomfortable, sitting, standing, moving or lying down.

Thank you so much for providing a place where I can vent all this. Me falling apart emotionally doesn’t help matters. While I have many good friends, I hate to dump on them. Everyone was so supportive pre op and it seemed everyone knew someone who’d had a hip replacement and had done just great! I can’t handle being the Debbie Downer.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Jusight77
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom