TKR Over did it

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] Over did it
@Pumpkinseed, You may notice that I have merged your two threads. We like to keep our members' recovery posts all in a single thread. That way it's easy for us to go back and read your history before responding to a question or concern. In addition, the thread becomes a journal of your recovery for those who come along later and want to read about you. So, please post in this thread from now on when you want to give an update or ask a question. If you have questions or concerns that need an immediate answer, please tag an admin, a mod, or other members or all three.

If you decide you'd like a different thread title at any point, you can just post what you want, tag one of us, and we'll get it changed for you. THANKS!


If you are having a problem locating your thread, here is a link with how to do it: How can I find my threads and posts?
 
@Pumpkinseed , don't worry- no one is going to forcibly bend your knee at your post op appointment. If your flexion is under 90° they might suggest MUA (Manipulation Under Anesthesia) but you don't have to agree to it.

I was really close (barely 90° at six weeks), did not have MUA but several times during my long, slow recovery I certainly wished that I had! I even asked about it once, but by then it was too late and my doctor said, "no way". My co-worker who had TKR before me *same OS* needed MUA because she was only 70° at six weeks. Well, since we work together we can compare notes- her with MUA and me without- and our bend is about the same now.
 
@Clipless thanks for the info. You hit the nail on the head. I'm afraid that if I agree to MUA I will not gain anything and will have additional pain. What is your flexion now and how far out are you from surgery?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
I'm not sure what my flexion is now. I was last "eyeballed" at 110° by my surgeon back in March (5 months post op). I am guessing I am somewhere between 110 and 120° now (8 months post op) because I can ride a bike without any tightness whatsoever, yet I am far (FAR!) from being able to squat down on my heels, and I can only "sort of" sit cross-legged on the floor. Am I a little disappointed? Sure, a little, but other bs members have continued to improve and gain flexion more than two years after surgery. This gives me hope! A Moderator can point you to some very encouraging threads on this topic.
 
I only got to 90 at about 6 weeks. I gained more in the weeks after. The ROM couldn't get to 90 until the swelling came down. I swear I did better when I "slacked off" and only did exercises once a day and had time off between PT appointments.
 
I had painful 90* flex at 6 weeks and pain free 110* at 8 weeks. Difference was expert PT. He bent my knee to a stretch, NOT pain, I told him where it was tight, he released whatever it was gently and repeated. I do suspect swelling is huge though. Perhaps that was a time when swelling was finally going down.

This time around I don't have any homework unless I do balance work. When doing any exercise program one skips a day to avoid overworking tired muscles. Not actually what I am doing now I am 3 whole months out. Outside PT I am fixing up my fish tank with lots of short walks, lots of getting on the step stool, lots of standing and [semi] squatting. I am so pooped!
 
thx so much for your input! It really helped put things into perspective for me. I'll keep you posted on the pre op

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi was reading post. I am almost 4 months and I am at 110 bend and 5-2 on extension as of last pt. Just know you will go up and down. It's all apart of healing. Xxxx


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Ty @Angel1978. I needed to hear that!!!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk



It's hard and we all are here for ya. It's scary sometimes not knowing when things will come. So I am here if ya need to talk. I sometimes question was it worth it? And know from the sight I know it was. Just have to wait lol.


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
It's hard and we all are here for ya. It's scary sometimes not knowing when things will come. So I am here if ya need to talk. I sometimes question was it worth it? And know from the sight I know it was. Just have to wait lol.


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
I ask myself that question 100x a day. You truly understand [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
It's hard. It really is. Especially when you are doing so well one day. Boom next can't hardly move and don't know why. I have been so down over lack of extension and rom. But it will come. My knees was so bad before replace. Then had partial and had problems and had to get revision.

It will be worth it. Read threads ski girl impress me or referee54 did and josoenine woe her was inspiring. I have to go often and re look when I get sad. But I know that I can't fill taut way. Cause it will be alright.

As for the same for you. Keep in mind after its all over we can look back and say wow. I did it cause I wanted my life back. These knees took my life away and I will get it back. I can't let these pains make me sad or convince me to give up.

We are all in this together. That's why I thank God for this wonderful sight. When we are down we alsways have some one to relate to. Struggles brings victories. They may seem small to the docs,nurses,pt. But there big victories to us.

My thoughts and prayers is with you. God Bless!!


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
It's hard. It really is. Especially when you are doing so well one day. Boom next can't hardly move and don't know why. I have been so down over lack of extension and rom. But it will come. My knees was so bad before replace. Then had partial and had problems and had to get revision.

It will be worth it. Read threads ski girl impress me or referee54 did and josoenine woe her was inspiring. I have to go often and re look when I get sad. But I know that I can't fill taut way. Cause it will be alright.

As for the same for you. Keep in mind after its all over we can look back and say wow. I did it cause I wanted my life back. These knees took my life away and I will get it back. I can't let these pains make me sad or convince me to give up.

We are all in this together. That's why I thank God for this wonderful sight. When we are down we alsways have some one to relate to. Struggles brings victories. They may seem small to the docs,nurses,pt. But there big victories to us.

My thoughts and prayers is with you. God Bless!!


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
You hit the nail in the head about movement. All of a sudden it appears my knee is real stiff and won't bend as much. Just out of the blue. Then we moved and I didn't do much but was on it more than usual so it's really swollen and angry now! I will remember to be patient with myself and ignore those that think I should be farther along and not let it discourage me.

Also good idea about reading the posts when I get sad and frustrated. you're right we're all in this together!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
You hit the nail in the head about movement. All of a sudden it appears my knee is real stiff and won't bend as much. Just out of the blue. Then we moved and I didn't do much but was on it more than usual so it's really swollen and angry now! I will remember to be patient with myself and ignore those that think I should be farther along and not let it discourage me.

Also good idea about reading the posts when I get sad and frustrated. you're right we're all in this together!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk


[Bonesmart.org] Over did it


Here above is little pick me up. My sis sent it to me so I did a little edit. ;-)

As my knee is stiff to. I've did nothing to today. Just gentle excerise and took sheet and held on bottom of foot to bend. Works not as frustrating.
As I am the same way. I don't do much but on feet more than I should be. And well I'm icing as we speak. I went to my moms to help. And well I had to set down to rest and prop it up. I'm singing ice ice.

As yes your right u must ignore them. Remember it's your knee. Your recovery. And u will do it on your own time. Your knee has to be ready. For instance pt try to push. I was dumb at first. But then I said noo your not going to hurt me to make your goal. Go away. I will do it on my own. And if I can't then my doc will make final decisions. Lack bend and rom will Come. Know if u a yr out and bend is 70 and extension is 10. Then there would be a problem. Just shew them away. U can do it. It takes time. And patinance. Which lord know I don't have it. But I'm leaning to get it.

I do read often. You should read Josephine post. No excercise at all. And she did awesome. It's hard. Not just physically but emotionally. Lord know I know it more than anyone.

I had partial in dec and it messed up. And I had to get revision. So 2 Sugurys and it's getting better.


But it does get easier. My prayers is with you.



FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
[Bonesmart.org] Over did it


Here above is little pick me up. My sis sent it to me so I did a little edit. ;-)

As my knee is stiff to. I've did nothing to today. Just gentle excerise and took sheet and held on bottom of foot to bend. Works not as frustrating.
As I am the same way. I don't do much but on feet more than I should be. And well I'm icing as we speak. I went to my moms to help. And well I had to set down to rest and prop it up. I'm singing ice ice.

As yes your right u must ignore them. Remember it's your knee. Your recovery. And u will do it on your own time. Your knee has to be ready. For instance pt try to push. I was dumb at first. But then I said noo your not going to hurt me to make your goal. Go away. I will do it on my own. And if I can't then my doc will make final decisions. Lack bend and rom will Come. Know if u a yr out and bend is 70 and extension is 10. Then there would be a problem. Just shew them away. U can do it. It takes time. And patinance. Which lord know I don't have it. But I'm leaning to get it.

I do read often. You should read Josephine post. No excercise at all. And she did awesome. It's hard. Not just physically but emotionally. Lord know I know it more than anyone.

I had partial in dec and it messed up. And I had to get revision. So 2 Sugurys and it's getting better.


But it does get easier. My prayers is with you.



FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
I definitely pray for patience
[Bonesmart.org] Over did it


Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
Haha I can't sleep either. My hub usta snore. Know cpap. But since knee it's been night mare.


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Guess what I get to have on th 17th? A MUA yay me ... NOT!! I really have no choice well I do but I want to have a functional knee so I'm trying to look at it that way and get back to having a normal life.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
Pumpkinseed,
I read you have around 90 degrees ROM, that is great for only one month since your TKR. Most likely swelling is preventing your ROM, and you need to give it time to go down.
IMO, I think you can wait at least another month if not longer, rest, ice, elevate, and take you pain meds as prescribed, and see if your ROM improves on its own.
Here are some articles from the Library about ROM, you will see there are many different opinions about when to do a MUA.

MUA (Manipulation under Anaesthetic) and Adhesions
MUA for Stiffness Following TKR
MUA: the ineffectiveness of early MUA (JBJS)

What ever you decide, wishing you all the best,
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom