Guest viewing is limited

TKR Over did it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever works best for you. That's why so many of us toss out suggestions that have worked for us. One is bound to work for someone else.
 
What's a Dixie cup?
My OS only wants me pottering around and doing 30 minutes continuous walking a day at the moment - on crutches to help me stride out and improve my gait. Ive been out to a birthday celebration and restaurant but sat of course.
The knee is very comfortable, no pain meds - but I'm not doing anything like you are!
Elevated Monopoly sounds good.
 
@Hopper I put water in a small paper cup and freeze it. Then I peel it back and massage the ice on the knee. I'm 3 weeks today and don't have my post op till July 8 but my in-home pt has been giving me tips and exercises to do and tells me not to over do it and manage the pain but to try walking with one crutch when I can. My out patient pt starts on Wednesday and I have a feeling the gloves are coming off lol. Glad to hear you don't need meds. I'll be so glad when I get there

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone experienced that you have more pain laying down with your leg elevated? This happens to me sometimes and I feel better in the recliner or walking around. Also my heel is kinda numb and siatica is acting up. Thought about going to my chiropractor but not sure if I should. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
My outpatient PT started off slow and has been building. You're early enough in your recovery that you should experience the same. If you have more pain when elevated, adjust to a position that isn't painful.
 
Whew that's good to hear about pt. And I'll try adjusting positions

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
I am thinking of trying some acupuncture- being 7 weeks out now, I still have a lot of swelling. Was at the YMCA today where a woman told me her friend tried acupuncture after a tkr and worked well. I'm so stiff I couldn't even use the recumbent bike!! Ugh! So frustrating!!
 
Bummer about the swelling and stiffness. I know it's frustrating. My therapist said that it'll be an up and down process after being upset that one day my ROM was 105 and the next time it was 95. I have heard acupuncture was a good thing for chronic pain so I can see how it would be good for this too. Thx for the idea

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
Ok I'm 4 wks out tomorrow and my ROM is 88 and -10 on my own. Still working hard in therapy 2x week and exercises at home 2x a day working up to 3x. Plus I'm putting more weight on it. The pain is still not controlled to my satisfaction especially after pt. Trying to get it to 90 and 0 by my post op in a week. Otherwise they're talking about putting me under and cranking on it. I'm so disheartened and scared [emoji24]

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
As hard as this is for you to do, you probably need to do LESS. I go to therapy 2X a week, but I don't do any other exercises except some basic stretches and bends in the morning to loosen everything up before I get out of bed. I'm at nearly 10 weeks out, but that's what I've been doing almost the whole way. Everything is falling into place for me. I have been gradually increasing my daily activities as I gain stamina (very slow), but at 4 weeks, you still need to be focusing on resting and basic self-care tasks.

With all that work you're doing, you're aggravating your healing soft tissues, and they are still very angry at four weeks. They need rest, elevation, and icing to get swelling and inflammation down so it can bend. Until that happens, your knee won't bend. Please consider doing less for now.
 
As hard as this is for you to do, you probably need to do LESS. I go to therapy 2X a week, but I don't do any other exercises except some basic stretches and bends in the morning to loosen everything up before I get out of bed. I'm at nearly 10 weeks out, but that's what I've been doing almost the whole way. Everything is falling into place for me. I have been gradually increasing my daily activities as I gain stamina (very slow), but at 4 weeks, you still need to be focusing on resting and basic self-care tasks.

With all that work you're doing, you're aggravating your healing soft tissues, and they are still very angry at four weeks. They need rest, elevation, and icing to get swelling and inflammation down so it can bend. Until that happens, your knee won't bend. Please consider doing less for now.
I totally agree with you and it is in line with all the other posts on here. I think it is really soon for me to be doing all this stuff and meeting all these expectations of numbers. My knee is swollen and painful and I need to listen to it. I don't have to do all this aggressive stuff do I? And also at my post op I don't have to have them bend it for me right? I guess I just feel that I don't have anymore control. Thanks you so much for your advice

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
@ polarbear60 also don't the therapists/drs know that if it's swollen it's not gonna bend right? And in turn each person is not gonna be at the same ROM and the same period of time? So then why do they make these standards

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
Pumpkinseed, I understand that feeling of losing control to your PT. I'm only a week post op, but I had to stop him from doing something that was hurting me. You know your body better and how you're feeling. You don't want to injure yourself. They're obsessed with ROM!

Good luck! Keep us updated!
 
Pumpkinseed, I understand that feeling of losing control to your PT. I'm only a week post op, but I had to stop him from doing something that was hurting me. You know your body better and how you're feeling. You don't want to injure yourself. They're obsessed with ROM!

Good luck! Keep us updated!
Ty mimi_frog. You are so right about their ROM obsession. I will start speaking up at a
Pt and when I see Dr. I just do t wanna fall behind but I don't want to over do it either. It's a catch 22 seems like. I guess that's where letting my knee dictate my progress comes in.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
Think of this---if you go into a restaurant and order a meal---do you let the waiter pick it for you????

You are the customer at your Pt's office--and you know what they say about the customer being right!! You are paying them to help you---it is not a favor. They have some expertise and some opinions. If their opinion conflicts with yours---well, in this case you are right.

Number one, the PT is NOT in charge of who gets a MUA and I don't think your surgeon will appreciate them using it as a threat to you.

Second, dear sweet girl---88 is 90!!!!! Rom is not an exact science, it is subjective. Maybe your PT is not such a good person to be measuring you and then complaining????

You are working way too hard---and when you overwork tendons and ligaments they complain--a lot. Don't do this.

Like Polar Bear, I did not exercise outside of PT---and I never had any pain in PT. Instead of doing dreary exercises, take a short walk and enjoy the day. You do not need to punish yourself---and talk to the head of the PT department---maybe you need a PT with a more positive outlook on your surgery and rehab.
 
@skigirlM... thank you... I have been feeling the same frustration as @pumkinseed...I am constantly worried about those stupid ROM numbers. After I work out with my PT, before she ices me she always tries to bend my knee back as far as she can to get me to a higher number. This is the only part of PT that I dread. I would rather do another 10 minutes on the nustep machine than her trying to turn me into a pretzel. I have told her to be gentle, but she still bends away. At least I have a break from PT for a week now, so with frequent icing and elevation and with just small jaunts of walking my schnauzer 3-4 times a day, I am curious as to what my knee will do next time.
 
I laughed inside last Thursday. I was on the table getting ready to do something exercise wise, and my PT was across the room by his laptop. He started toward me, then, as if he had second thoughts, he turned back and picked up his goniometer. He had me extend, and he measured. He had me bend, and he measured, and gave a sound like he was satisfied, but I didn't ask, because I didn't really care. To me, it felt like it was better than the last time he'd measured, and he didn't touch me to do it. Of course, everyone I've worked with at this therapy office has been superb.
 
@bluejuju, you do not have to take this baloney. Tell her that you are sick of her hurting you and that you want it to stop today!!! she is trying to make herself look good--not take care of you.

Think of this, if you hold a garden hose filled with water--can you bend it?? no, of course not. So every time she forces your knee she CAUSES swelling that will inhibit your bend.

Think of it this way---not everyone graduated at the top of the class---somebody was at the bottom and maybe they did not get everything exactly right. also, tkr rehab has changed in the last few years---is she keeping up????

Frankly, I would not go to a PT who cranks down on my knee---especially after you said to stop doing it. You can ask the person who owns the clinic is you could have anew pt----someone who understands how to rehab a tkr and someone who listens to the paying customer.

Remember, I went to Pt three times a week--my PT never bent back my knee with any force---I never had any pain there---I did not take extra pain meds before PT, which is a terrible idea and a good way to get hurt. I never did any exercises out side of PT---I did walk my dogs most days. My rom? 145.
 
I agree with everything that you've been told. I left PT 2 weeks ago with a103 ROM. My therapist said well, a MUA is all that will help you now. I am beginning week 15 next week and am so disappointed, But! I took the advice of some sweet people on this forum and am giving a knee some much needed rest! Still doing heel slides and riding my stationary bike. Best wishes! Listen to your body!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom