TKR Ortho dr or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Knee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried using the TENS unit on the hamstring spasm and it worked! Yeah! Now maybe I can do some stretches to keep it from happening in the future.
 
Funny you should mention your hammies. Mine are giving me grief, too, today. A little while ago, one of the nurses from my doctor's office called to see how I was doing. I told her about the pain. She said it was very common and I need to work on strengthening the hamstrings. Seems like they haven't been used much since the surgery and they probably weren't be used correctly prior to surgery. I know I was limping and things were out of whack. Glad to hear your TENS worked! I keep saying I'm going to get one for home. They always felt so good in PT! I think today is the day I order one!
 
The TENS unit sure did the trick. I even did my hamstring stretches afterward, and a spasm started, but went away. I've left the electrodes on in case it starts up again. I did have this kind of pain occasionally before my surgery, so I know that my hamstring wasn't being used correctly. I need to just keep on working them, and I guess eventually they'll settle down.
 
What brand of machine do you have? I'm looking on Amazon and see several different ones. Not sure which one is best....
 
The one I have is the Ultima 5 Digital TENS Unit, and it seems to work just fine.
 
Had some bad news yesterday. I had told the home health agency that I didn't need to have a nurse come around once a week anymore. (It really was a waste of time and money.) Well, turns out they had the contract with my therapy people, and my therapy people don't have a contract with my weird insurance, so no therapy with them anymore. Now I have to find another therapist who takes my insurance and get my Dr. to authorize it, and all this happened at 5 p.m. yesterday, so I couldn't do much about it yesterday. Therefore I had a rotten night last night.

I've been trying to cut back on the Norco. I've been taking 2 extra-strength Tylenol morning and noon, but felt bad mid-afternoon and took 1/2 of a 10/325. Took a whole one at night around 10 p.m. Woke up at 1 a.m. burning up, kicked off sheets, cooled off, then got too cool, etc. Couldn't find a comfortable way to sleep and my mind was racing about the therapy problem. Finally went to the sofa with a book, read for a little while, then tried to sleep but without much success - hot, cold etc.. At least I wasn't disturbing my husband (although he says I never disturb him.) I think some of these temperature swings may be Norco withdrawal based on what I've read. Maybe I'm trying to cut back too soon. I've decided that I will continue with the Tylenol and take 1/2 Norco as needed for a few days. I want to be through with the Norco, but I think I'm going to need more than Tylenol since I still have arthritis in my left knee, hands and back. My P.A. has been alerted, and we'll see what he comes up with next Weds. when I go back for 6 weeks post-op.

Good news is that I found a therapy place in my town (closer than the original place) who I am pretty sure takes my insurance, have had my PA fax them an authorization and have an appointment for Monday at 1 p.m. So unless we hit a snag, everything is now go for that. Other good news is that I'm going to quit carrying my cane around the house since I keep forgetting it and walking out without it, then forgetting where I left it. I will only use it when I go outside. My gait is pretty good. Husband says no discernible limp, and other than a little tightness, I can't tell a whole lot of difference between the two knees when I'm walking. Time to go and stretch the hamstrings though!
 
Isn't insurance wonderful? Hope this snag gets worked out and you're able to go on Monday.

Don't be too quick to stop the Norco if you need it! I was down to just taking the Extra Strength Tylenol two weeks ago, then had knee #2 done. It was really strange going back to the Norco. But, if you need it, you need it. You're still having pain from arthritis in other areas...do you take an anti-inflammatory? Since I have arthritis in my spine, I'm guessing when all is said and done with my knees, I will still need an anti-inflammatory for my spine. Maybe you should talk to your doctor about that.

I hear you about the cane. I bring it downstairs in the morning and haul it back upstairs at bedtime. Guess that means I don't need it either. I do plan on bringing it to school next week, just so the kids don't get too close to me in the hallways! When my therapist was here yesterday we took a walk down the block. She carried the cane for me in case I needed it. I didn't. Even she said I could probably give it up. I thought, "Woo-Hoo! Another sign of recovery!"
 
Hey, I wouldn't go anywhere near a middle school without a stick! (Seriously, I did teach middle school a couple of times in my checkered past, but I much preferred high school!)
 
I'll be with sixth graders....their first year in "the big school." They all have that "deer in the headlights" look for the first week or so. I'll spend most of the first week helping open lockers and pointing out where the bathroom is! Maybe I'll look a bit more intimidating than usual with my cane! I can just see them reminiscing years from now....."Remember that old teacher we had in sixth grade? She even had a cane!"
 
Brithael, I am having the same situation with the meds. I have been making it about six or seven hours at night without my Percocet , but wake up in pain and soaked in sweat. I throw the covers off and soonI am cold. Pretty miserable, huh?
 
I hear you, Carolina! This temperature foul up is a real PITA! I'm WAY over menopause (hysterectomy in '98) so I know these aren't hot flashes. Hope your hubby and you are able to work things out helping each other!
 
We will, but My knee is already screaming at the extra time I have been up today. I did not think I would have that"good cry" everyone on BS has mentioned, but I let loose this afternoon. I did spare my husband,but I am really unnerved by him getting hurt.my recovery has been so good because he has been able to do so much around here. Now I feel like I am pushing myself to do things that stress my knee. For exAmple, the garbage needed carrying out today. It is really hard for him to go up and down stairs with the boot on right now, so I did it. He is having to figure out how to balance himself even walking across the floor. So he is in a learning curve just now like I have been. I know I am whining and that it will all work out okay but today it was just that" one more thing"!
 
Go ahead and vent....and have a good cry. Our emotions build up and sometimes we just have to have a good cry. Your husband has been your rock through all this, and now he's hurt. Of course you're upset.....just know that he is upset, too and probably feels terrible that he can't be there for you like he has been. Is there anyone around that could help you out for a bit???
 
OK, I just found your thread (did you change the name), so you can disregard the PM I sent to you asking yu how you are; sounds like you are making great progress
 
Thanks Brithael, I took a Percocet, iced my knee and rested awhile and now I feel better. My husband is a sweet man, but is a bear when he is sick on in pain! He does not like me to ask him questions like " are you in pain"? so I look for clues. This has been our dance our entire 40 years of marriage! To answer your question, one daughter lives three hours away and has three very young children. She would help if she could., She calls every day and gives me moral support. My other daughter is a realtor and is the sole support of my other two grandchildren so she has no time for us. The children's almost full-time babysitter is a godsend. Brittany is like another daughter. She and I get along great and she is very helpful and dependable. She comes over on Saturday mornings and clean for us. She needs the extra cash and I need the help. She is one of the few people I would feel comfortable in my house. My older daughter has suggested that I ask Brittany to go grocery shopping for us and I think that is a good idea. I am sick of going out to eat (and it is painful) and I am sick of drive-through food so next week I am going to cook one meal a day. Grocery shopping is still hard for me. I just do not have the endurance and right now it would be difficult for Ray to do. So that is one problem solved. If I do not take Percocet I can now drive myself the two times of week I have PT. As our precious Brits say, "things will sort themselves out"!

BTW, please tell me the derivation of your name. I have never seen that name before.
 
Carolina - sorry that you're having to "switch horses in midstream" becoming a caregiver as well as a patient. Be sure to make smart choices about what really needs to be done. Some things are obvious - garbage does need to go out, groceries need to be bought - but don't pile any more on your plate than you have to.

How do you do PT without taking pain meds? I'm cutting way back on my Norco - only had 1/2 yesterday, but I intend to take a whole one before PT on Monday (especially since it is a new PT and I don't know what to expect.)

BTW, my avatar name "Brithael" comes from a trilogy about Merlin from a British author named Mary Stewart. I play a MMO (massive multi-player online) game called World of Warcraft which is medieval in context. When I created my first character, I wanted a good name, so I went to the first book in the series The Crystal Cave. I found the name in there, and since then have picked almost all my character names from the books. My real name is Suzanne and my Avatar picture is from a production I used to work in where we were all characters from the 1880's old west. It was a murder mystery dinner theatre, and lots of fun.
 
Suzanne, thanks for sharing about your name. My daughter came over and I told herI needed to be driven to PT so I can take my meds first.
She volunteered her housekeeper which is fine because she is very dependable. Hopefully, I will only need that help for a couple more weeks. Interestingly , the housekeeper who is 23 took the two-year program to be a PT Assistant, passed the course and then had an anxiety attack thr morning of the boards. We all have our issues, don't we?
 
I think it's a great idea to have Brittany help you out a bit! Sounds to me like it works for everyone. Don't be afraid to ask for help! ( this coming from the queen of not wanting to "bother" anyone!)
 
I hear you!. My husband made me stop prefacing all my requests with "Do you mind . . ." or "Would it be OK if . . ." I hate asking for help!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom