TKR Ortho dr or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Knee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try to elevate and ice as much as you can.
 
My bf said he is here to help and me saying those same things are what he's going to do....so I make sure to let him know how thankful I am that he's willing to help. When the nature of being a nurturer is compromised by something like this, it makes it harder to receive help, but my sissy said something to me that has me re-thinking that. Sometimes letting other people help is a gift from them as well. It's a humbling expirence, but in the end when you're back in the nurturers role your hubby may have a better appreciation for the work you do around the house. I can at least say my bf has said that he knows he's appreciative of what I do for him!
 
I find myself in the same boat as the rest of you with having to ask for help. My kids have actually told me to knock off saying "I'm sorry" or "when you can"... I'm sure my husband will have a whole new appreciate for our role reversal :) I'm working hard at accepting the help that's offered and even reaching beyond my family to those friends who have offered their help. Definitely did not seem like a hollow gesture and I am SO thankful for all of the support.
 
My husband and I made it to Sunday School and church this morning. He taught his lesson sitting down but he did it! Lots of folks in our small congregation offered their help. That was nice! I sat for two hours and then drove us hone. The is knee is showing some attitude but I am elevating and icing.
 
Good for you - driving and sitting for such a long time! I don't elevate and ice as much as I used to - only after stretches or if I have some twinges. Hoping to get cleared for driving this Weds. We'll see. I start my new therapy today (I hope - still have to call this a.m. and see if all the paperwork got through.) Hope they're good; I'd hate to have to change again!
 
Just finished with new therapy. WOW! What a difference! I really like my therapist - Tiffany is the Goddess of PT. I also feel such a difference between what she did and my previous therapist. He was a nice guy, but Tiffany is so professional. Never pushed me to pain, but I walked out feeling so energized and improved. My ROM is 125 and extension -22, so we know what we need to work on. She did something called ASTYM which was probably the most discomfort I had, but from what I read it gets better and really does accomplish healing. I'm actually looking forward to therapy on Thursday!
 
Entered the ODIC yesterday. All I did was walk around Sam's Club for about 6 items. I didn't even walk all over the store, but by the time I got out, I was wasted, and I went straight to bed when I got home and took a nap. Even with that I felt bad the rest of the day. I think I walked a lot more when I went to the commissary last week, but it wasn't as hot, so maybe the weather had something to do with it. Feel better this a.m. thank goodness! Headed to the 6 week post -op today.
 
Good luck at 6week post op. I had my surg 1 day after you and I go to my 6week post op tomorrow. Also hoping I am free to drive. That's the upside. The downside is returning to work. Not quite ready. I would really like to hold off till after Labor Day.
Keep us posted
 
Brithael, I walked around in Walmart this morning for maybe ten minutes and have hurt all day. I have been laying off pain meds so I can drive but had to come home and take one. It is almost like the knee says, "Who do think you are? I am in charge here!" Pretty discouraging.
 
OS was really happy with my progress today. I showed him my flex and told him the PT had measured it at 125 on Monday. He said he thought it was more than that although he didn't measure. He also thought my extension was more like -5. I'm cleared to drive as long as I'm not taking the heavy duty pain meds (which I only take before therapy.) I saw the xray of my prosthesis, and it looked pretty good. I feel like I did a lot more walking today than yesterday, yet don't feel as bad. Go figure. Also, my OS told me to take some ibuprofen for the rest of my arthritis, so I think that will help with my achy feelings. I haven't taken any ibuprofen since the first of July, and I took a lot of it before that. He made me feel really good when I shook his hand and thanked him for doing such a great job on my knee. He said, "You've done a lot of it." I don't have to go back until six months!
 
I'm scheduled for six weeks PT twice a week. I'm definitely continuing right now, but if I get to a point where I feel I've made the most of my progress, I'll stop then.
 
Had another great therapy session on Thursday. I really love these new therapists. They work me well, but never to pain. My extension was measured at -22 on Monday, by the end of therapy Thursday, she measured -16. I drove the car twice yesterday and today with no side effects. I almost feel guilty - my recovery has been so trouble free.
 
Brithael, I have really enjoyed reading your very successful recovery journal. You have had the kind of recovery that we all dream about. That is not to say you did not encounter your share of difficulties, However, at 7 weeks, you are way ahead of the game. You go girl!! :thumb: :yahoo: :happydance:

When I had my RTKR, I thought my recovery would be like yours. But it was not to be. At 7 weeks I was still on a walker, with quads that did not work, just gotten over an infection, had a huge swollen knee, and not able to walk normally,sleep in a bed, or drive a car. My recovery took 6 months before I could accomplish what you have done in just 7 weeks.
 
Mimi - so sorry you had such a tough time with your recovery. Hope that now everything is good. I feel extremely grateful to have had as wonderful a recovery as I have, so much so that I don't know that I want to tempt fate and have the left one done.
Thanks Dulcimer Diva - I'm enjoying the new knee - getting up without pain or having to ssttrreettcchh my leg out first before I could stand on it is an incredible situation!
My worst problem right now is sleeping. I have good nights and bad. I'm still trying to work out the proper medication to get me a good night's sleep. I do well on extra-strength Tylenol during the day. I take an ibuprofen at night with a Tylenol p.m., but it doesn't seem to do a good job. I hate to have to take a Norco at night, but I may try a 1/2 and see what happens. My P.A. said he would send out some Tramadol if I needed it, but I've never taken it, so don't know how it works.
 
Haven't posted on this thread in almost a week - been busy! I'm still loving my PT although she brought a new torture device last Monday which was exquisite (not in a good way!) It was a platform which supported my calf and leg attached to metal bars. A Velcro wrap was put around my thigh and I was given a bulb to "pump it up." I pumped until I felt a stretch in my hamstring and then had to hold it for two minutes. I did have a release in case it was too much, and by the end of two minutes, I was more than ready to release! I then was given some time to work it out, and then went for round two. All these stretches work - I've gone from -22 to -14 in 3 PT sessions.

I'm also faithfully doing my stretches at home except for a couple of days this last week when I entered the Bad Back Club. Thankfully, some rest and warm wraps got the back problem taken care quickly.

Overall, knee is responding well - taking only extra-strength Tylenol for pain and one ibuprofen at night for arthritis in the other body parts.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom