TKR Ortho dr or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Knee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gave up on sleeping in the bed last night. The sofa seems to offer more support to my back when I try to sleep on my side than the bed, and I love to sleep on my side. Maybe a few more weeks of healing will help me return to my bed. Trying to just take pain meds at six hour intervals, or longer if I forget or sleep through.

Last night had lots of deep aching on the outside of my leg - calf and up into my thigh. Is this the infamous IT band? I massaged it, and it felt some better, but only really subsided when I took my pain pill.

Going to get back on the recumbent bike again today, but limit it to 5 minutes a couple of times a day until I see how my knee reacts. I asked my PT yesterday during therapy about the bike, and he didn't seem to think that the bike had anything significant to offer. He said it doesn't help with ROM or strength; however, my PT at the hospital said the bike was key, and all I really needed to do. Who to believe? My home PT says that I'm improving, but doesn't measure which is OK. I'm beginning to think it may be time to start moving to outside therapy. How do you know when that's right?
 
Do you feel you are improving or mostly staying the same? Will you be able to drive or get a ride?
 
Hi, Brithael , Sounds like you are doing very well. I think your body will tell you when the time is right. I'm 4 1/2 weeks out from a BTKR and I have had no formal PT as I wanted to try recovery on my own with no pushing or forcing my knees. I go once a week for a check on my ROM and progression. I just doing the stretching and gentle bending exercises. I add a little more activity every few days and wait to see how my knee reacts. I had my second PT check up this morning and she was very pleased with my progress. ROM has increased greatly, extension 0 on both legs.
Listen to your knees! Mine tells me when what to do and when to it and so far they haven't let me down. There has been no swelling since my surgery and my knees are getting stronger every week.
Regarding the bike I think it does help. It's great a for nice stretch but don't over do it!
Wanda
 
I'm improving, but the therapy at home seems awfully easy. I guess I need to get my head in shape. What do I want? For it to hurt? I don't think so! I will be able to get a ride, since my P.A. says no driving for 8 weeks.

I still don't have horrible pain, just new ones, and generally quite short lived - a stab or spasm which sometimes make me go "OW!" I guess I'm just impatient, I have to keep telling myself it's only been 3 weeks!
 
I know that feeling but remember no pain all gain....don't push too hard! I have two more home therapies and then I'm hoping my insurance will approve aqua therapy.....cause I'm a fish! I'm hoping that having home therapy and then switching to out patient will help with a good recovery for me.

I wish I could sleep on my sides....I sleep in the bed but can not sleep in the recliner.
 
What was that I said about therapy at home seeming "easy?" Well, we added some stretches on Saturday that are not easy, but definitely are good. My hamstring tightness is the worst thing I deal with right now, and all these stretches are working on that. I'm still finding that every six hours on the pain meds works the best. I have the norco 10/325 and one works well for me, have never taken more than one.

Last night I slept through the 4 a.m. time, and would have taken a pill when I got up, but I have to take the empty stomach meds then. I was just sitting with my foot elevated on the recliner when it suddenly felt like someone had taken a bite out of my knee. OK, time for pain pill - that put it at about 8 1/2 hours since the last one. So can't stretch for too much longer than 6 hours right now.
 
My "hammies" were tight, too, but those stretches have really made a difference! I'm going to have to ask if there is something other than Norco for me to take. I get so jealous when I hear how well they work for everyone. I can take two every four hours and feel absolutely no different. I've had it after three other surgeries and have always said the same thing. A few weeks ago my brother had surgery for the first time in his life and was given Norco. Without me saying anything about it, he commented that it did nothing for him. I wonder if there is a genetic thing going on that makes us "immune" to it??? I've mentioned it to doctors and I get the impression they do t believe me.

It gets kinda crazy with these med schedules, doesn't it? This one on an empty stomach, this one every four hours, another one every six hours.....I'm starting to feel old!
 
What is Norco? I think I may have trouble getting off the Percocet. Every time I have skipped doses I not only have pain but get sweaty and shaky.
 
I only am taking Norco 5/3.25 every 5-6 hours. How did you get 10-3.25? My fear is getting addicted....I don't want anything stronger....but was curious!
 
Yes it's hydrocodone and acetaminophen ..... Not necessarily just Vicodin, but it's in the same class.
 
The Norco 10/325 is just what the Dr. ordered. I haven't taken anything else since the PCA in the hospital. I'm working on getting it to a schedule which covers the night and therapy.

Last night, I took one at 9:30 p.m., slept in the bed (on my sides!) til 6 a.m. (of course I had numerous wake-ups during the night as I had to adjust, but I would go right back to sleep.) When I did get up, I had some painful spasms, but took a pill at 6:15 a.m., and now all is well. My therapy is generally around 2:30 to 3:30 p.m., so I'm planning to take another pill around 1:30 p.m, and if I can, not take another until the bedtime dose. That will put me to taking 3 pills in a 24 hour time period (compared to 6 when I first started taking them,) which I'm willing to go with for a while. My next step-down will be to cut the daytime pills in half, we'll see how that works. My P.A. said that I would be taking pain meds for at least 8 weeks, so I'm just at 4 weeks now as of Weds. I'm not worried about getting addicted as long as I am taking the pills for pain.

I will say that I have not had the pain that I thought I would have, or that others seem to have had. I consider myself very lucky.
 
I have to say I've been lucky pain-wise, too. I was expecting to to be much worse and have been so thankful it hasn't been. (Just wish I cold say the same thing about my back!)
 
I thought I was ready to wean off the Percocet but I don't know. I had allergy testing today that ended up lasting two hours of mostly sitting. The knee did not like that! By the time I got home I was pitiful! I took the Percocet and iced.
 
4 week anniversary - sleeping in the bed every night now, although I wake up and have to readjust frequently, I can actually sleep on my side! Yay!
Moved the pain meds to 3 times a day, going to try that for a week and then 1/2 pills for the daytime (except on therapy days)
Have really increased my extension, although not quite there yet. My flexion is almost as good as non-surgical knee, although no one has measured.
Don't have the energy drain as much, although I can still get a nap in during the day and feel the better for it. This is from someone who NEVER napped unless really sick.
Still using a cane, although I sometimes forget it, and leave it in the bathroom or kitchen. PT wants me to continue using it for now, but I am concentrating on walking w/o a limp. PT noticed improvement on that yesterday
Still get occasional pain spasms, but nothing debilitating, and they go quickly.
Still doing in home PT, yesterday he really pushed my hamstring in a good way.
Sat outside this morning for about 30 minutes with my leg down. When I got up to go inside, I just got up! Before surgery, I would have to straighten my legs out slowly and painfully, and then get up very slowly. Hey, this TKR thing really does work!
 
Isn't it amazing that you can "just get up" after sitting down? Just another way of letting you know you made the right decision!
 
Hey, how are you? Inquiring minds want to know!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom