Guest viewing is limited

TKR Ortho dr or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Knee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
One month out as of Saturday and doing really well; however, I have a pain that I hope someone could tell me about. If my knee is bent at a certain angle, and I move just a little bit, I get a really sharp pain on the outside of my knee. I first noticed it when sitting on the toilet, have had it happen sometimes in bed, and yesterday when getting on my recumbent bike, it hit. It's the worst pain I've had since my surgery, but I can make it stop if I move my knee out of this narrow angle. I've gotten to where I'm scared to have it happen because it hurts so much. Anybody have an experience with this?
 
One month already?! Doesn't seem possible! Wish I could help you with that new pain, but have no idea. Can ou ask our PT?
 
I did ask my PT and he said something about a tendon; however, I have PT today, I'll ask for more detail.
 
I was having some pain at about three weeks that, now that I think of it, was similar to yours. I was told it was my IT band. I even talked to the resident at my doctor's office and he said it was really common. I had my hubby use a rolling pin on the outside of my leg. He didn't do it nearly as hard as the therapist did with her "joy stick." After about a week it pretty much disappeared. I guess I assumed it would be something that would last months, so not sure if that's really what it was???
 
First outpatient therapy completed. Wow! It was much longer than I anticipated - 1 1/2 hours! Of course 30 minutes of that was icing, TENS and cold laser therapy. Most of it did not hurt, although the stretches with the hamstring are still pushing the edge of the envelope. Also my quads are definitely out of shape as I found out with leg movements and the weights attached. I had to stop a couple of things that were hurting my non-surgical knee. Nothing hurt a lot, and the PT stopped when I said something, so that was good. Still no measurement, but I know that my flex is almost as good as my non-surgical knee. My extension still needs work, but don't have a number.

Five weeks tomorrow and worst seems to be behind me. The pain on the outside of my knee is still harsh but definitely positional - so I try to avoid that position. I've been cutting back on pain meds and substituting extra strength Tylenol. I still have arthritis in my other knee, hands and back, so I need to take something for that besides the pain in the surgery knee. Still very stiff all over in the morning. It seems that I get my other body parts in a kink trying to avoid hurting my knee during the night. Surgery knee is about 3/4" bigger than other knee, so still some swelling (this is measured first thing in morning after being up all night.) I can walk without a limp if I think about it. If I don't, I sometimes relax into a limp.

Looking forward to OS visit next week - hopefully will have the movement to be able to drive. Will certainly be off the heavy duty meds during the day.
 
That first evaluation appointment does take longer. Glad most of it didn't hurt! I know it's not supposed to hurt, but you certainly can feel those stretches. It doesn't take long to lose that muscle tone, does it? I love that your last half hour was icing and TENS. I love that machine and I keep saying I'm going to buy one, but so far haven't.

I have the day to myself.....no nurse or therapist coming today! Like you, I'm a little stiff in the morning, too, but once I get moving a little bit I'm so much looser.
 
Today I will get to the hairdresser! A cut for sure, maybe color as well depending on boss knee. I'm focusing on stretches and biking today to work out the stiffness.

I have a TENS machine which was prescribed to me for my back. Now that I know how to use it on the knee, I may start doing that as well. It has worked really well for my back.

It's interesting that the icing,TENS and laser were not at the end of my therapy, but at the beginning. Maybe that's why I didn't feel much pain during the therapy. Nothing at the end, he just told me to go home and ice which I gratefully did the rest of the day. The only other times I had therapy which was after the arthroscopic surgeries, they iced at beginning and end. They also hurt a lot more.

When do you start school? I don't envy you at all. I took early retirement because my husband had already been retired for several years, and we decided we needed to take the time while we could. Although I loved my kids and teaching theatre, I have never regretted retiring early. We had six years on the road traveling that no one can take away from us - such fabulous memories!
 
I used the TENS for both of my arthroscopic surgeries and when I had therapy for my cervical spine problems. Then again, I was at a different facility. I start out-patient next Monday and I'll definitely ask about it!

I suppose I could quit work any time since I'm a para educator (fancy term for aide). I do like my job, though. It's 8 minutes from home and I am done at 2:20 in the afternoon. Our first two days are inservice days, so there won't be much standing. I already told my principal that I'd be taking "ice breaks" throughout the day and he's fine with it. The teachers I work with are all aware of the situation and I will be able to sit and elevate whenever I want to. I figure after the first three weeks I should be pretty much back to normal.

I know you will feel so much better after your haircut! I've gone to the same woman for 16 years and she was very patient with me, especially when I told her she had to stop so I could walk around a bit. Yes, that knee is certainly the boss!
 
I had a pedicure last Monday and we probably set a world record. It took quite some time since I had to keep getting up to move! I'm lucky both my hair and nail ladies are old friends...been going to them for 15 years. We have to let them know that our knees are in control of everything right now!
 
I've been putting off getting my hair done....but got my nails (not toes) done bat 2 weeks ago. Toes are getting desperate...but will survive a bit longer till I can bend better.
 
Deedles I had my toes done the day beforemy second knee. I knew it would be quite some time before I'd be able to get them done again. Now that I think of it, since I have to wear the TED stockings for three weeks (one down, two to go!) I'm not wearing sandals, so nobody will see them anyway. I know they look nice, so I guess that's all that matters. I'm sure they all noticed how nice they were in the operating room! :)
 
I wish I had done my toes before surgery - they're horrible now. I'm also still wearing TEDS. My PA said to wear them til swelling is done. I'll get there - hair first!
 
I had clear put on but they grow fast because I take so many vitamins....but have been hacking at them myself because I despise long toe nails....

My nails are more visible so I had to get them done!
 
What's TENS? Mine was a week later than yours so that sounds like something to check out!
 
I went to the Dr.today for an un-knee related appt., walked all over the hospital and parking garage, and then went grocery shopping at the commissary! I haven't been in a grocery store in a very long time - lots of things managed to jump in my cart. I did pretty well, although by the time I was ready to check out - I WAS READY! Luckily husband had ice packs and pillows all ready for me, and I packed myself into the back seat for the long journey home.
 
Good for you! I'll bet you're beat, but just think....you did something today that you couldn't have done just a few short weeks ago!
 
OK, hamstring spasms in back of thigh. What did I do to start them, and what can I do to end them? Could they be from the large amount of walking I did yesterday? Is more gentle stretching in order, or should I just rest?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom