Guest viewing is limited

TKR Ortho dr or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Knee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last of my hospital story . . .
Tuesday, July 16 – One Does Not Simply Walk into Mordor
I had a really great night at home. Although I tried to sleep in my bed, I could not, but had really hard sleep in the sofa recliner. I awoke to the glorious scent of real coffee brewing (not de-caff!) How wonderful it was to go down my own hall to the bathroom, sit in my own sofa and reach for my own computer. We’ve rigged up a table next to the sofa for the computer, and then a bed tray to put over my lap to keep the laptop off my knee. I was able to hug my puppy and give her a good rub-down, until she decided that my ice machine was just too tempting not to be tasted. That’s why we have the portable fence – invalid on the inside, puppies on the outside. All in all a stellar first morning until . . .
I was sipping my coffee, surfing through mounds of email etc., and waiting for time for breakfast when that same awful feeling came over me. The dizziness, cold sweat, trembling hands – only this time I had not taken a pain pill since about 2 a.m., and was waiting to eat until I took one. I remembered what the Dr. said, and hastily googled heart attack symptoms in women. Good night, I had three of six! Reluctantly, I told Jeff we needed to go to the ER. Just for drill, because I had wondered if my “incident” yesterday was a low blood sugar, we decide to test it with Jeff’s glucometer. I have a 70. I know that my fasting blood glucose is usually in the mid-eighties. We decided to go to the ER here in Homewood rather than risk a 70 mile drive. I wish we had driven.
Anyway, we stowed the puppy in her crate and took off to the ER. Jeff went inside and told the security guard who came out with a wheelchair. I’m still very shaky and understandably scared. He wheels me up to the clerk, and I try to tell him that I’m six day post-op total knee replacement with symptoms of a heart attack. I say try, because a custodian was loudly vacuuming the rug right next to me, and I could barely hear what I was saying much less the clerk. Turning off the vacuum when a patient comes in should be standard protocol, one would think.
I do get taken into triage right away where they ask the usual questions, and I tell them about the Dr. at the Navy Hospital which is mainly why I’m here. I also tell them about the 70 blood glucose taken at home, but they are not impressed. They think a 70 will not have any of the symptoms as I described. I’m wheeled into a room with another doorknob bed, covered with electrodes and stabbed with knives. Seriously, they got right to running the EKG, setting up the most uncomfortable IV I’ve ever had, and taking blood. Then I sit. And I sit. And I sit. Randomly, the blood pressure cuff goes off, but other than the occasional blip of the screen, nothing happens.
I ask for something to elevate my leg, and am given a pathetic thin pillow. I’ve had no pain meds since 2 a.m., and I have no ice. One of the nurse technicians seems anxious to help and tells us they’re still backed up from yesterday when it was a seven hour wait. I have a very dry mouth and haven’t eaten since a milk and cookie snack the night before. She brings me some apple juice and graham crackers which I gratefully eat.
I checked in at 7:40 a.m. Around 10 a.m., a lady who identifies herself as the nurse tells me the Dr. will be in as soon as he can. I understand the problem and ask about some pain medication. She brings me back some Norco. I can only assume that since nothing has been done to me since the original triage, that the EKG didn’t show anything. In fact, the longer I lie there, the more I begin to believe that it was a low blood sugar event even though I don’t have diabetes. I have felt much better since the juice and graham cracker.
Around 11:30 a.m., the Dr. comes in. He seems really nice, asks the usual questions and in response to mine says that the EKG was normal, but they want to run an enzyme check and a urine test just to make sure everything’s OK. I know this is standard procedure, so nod my head, and he leaves.
Now it begins to get strange. Nothing happens. No one comes in to take more blood. No one asks me if I can do a urine sample. Nothing. Jeff goes home to take care of the puppy and himself since he has had no breakfast. The nurse come in when the monitor goes off for some reason, and I ask her about the tests and she says something to the effect that” if people didn’t come into the ER when it wasn’t an emergency, they wouldn’t have this back –up.” I thought this was pretty inappropriate since I had been told to go to the ER and said as much. This also did not answer my question about the ensuing tests. She did, upon prompting, get me some more pillows and some ice for my knee.
I continue to wait. Hours pass. The nurse technician feels sorry for how uncomfortable I am, and changes the doorknob bed for another in better shape. It does feel a lot better. I have the urge to go to the bathroom and knowing that the Dr. was going to order a urine sample, mention that that could be taken before I evacuate my bladder completely. This does get me a specimen bottle which I fill and turn in. I go back to the room and wait.
During this time, I do get in touch with my primary care Dr’s nurse, and explain all that is going on. I’ll tell her I think it’s just a low blood sugar event, and she agrees that a 70 would give me all those symptoms.
Sometime around 3 p.m., I think, the nurse technician come in to take my blood. I’ve only had a couple of juice packets in over 12 hours, so I tell her good luck on finding a vein. She digs around in my arm, I see the single vial that she has filled, and then she leaves. I never see her again. At some point, the Dr. comes in and apologizes for the wait but says there is some confusion in the lab about the second enzyme test, but that he hopes it is cleared up, and I’ll be leaving soon. This is the first I’ve heard about a second enzyme test.
Sometime after that, the nurse comes in with all the blood paraphernalia to take my blood again. She says someone lost the second blood sample. I show her on my arm where it was taken. She takes about three vials of blood. She also responds to my dehydration and hunger by bringing me a turkey sandwich and some more juice. My husband asks her how long this might take. She says it’s about a 20 minute test.
We wait forty minutes. Still nothing. My husband goes out to ask about the test. Someone flippantly tells him there’s no such thing as a 20 minute blood test. Every time anyone comes close we ask how long, what’s happening etc. We are given no answers, no explanations.
Finally sometime after 5 p.m., a new nurse comes in and brusquely begins to explain about how long all the tests take and why I needed them etc. It seems that the second enzyme test has to be done several hours apart. I’ve already been here over nine hours; I tell her I just want out of there. The Dr. said negative on the heart tests, and I just want to go home. She is much more informative that almost anyone has been all day, but treats me as if I’m the whiney butt who has to be tolerated while they’re saving my life. It’s pretty obvious that she’s the closer who’s trying salvage a very poorly done job. Suddenly, blood tests are done (BTW, 2nd enzyme test completed at 4:20 p.m. – it is now 5:40 p.m.) paper work appears, and ONLY ten hours after I originally checked in, I’m out of there.
I felt like I had escaped prison. It was the most horrible day of my life. If the Navy Dr. hadn’t been so insistent the day before, I probably would have just gotten a glass of orange juice at home and felt better. At least I know where NOT to go in an emergency situation in the future.
 
Oh wow! What a horrible experience. When you feel better you should call their patient satisfaction people. I had one episode with the shakiness, sweating , etc. It was very scared, but passed after I ate and rested. I do not think docs know what they are asking when they say to go to the ER. I hope the rest of your recovery goes uneventfully .
 
Oh my dear! I can't believe how poorly you were treated! Where in Homewood did you go?? There isn't a hospital there, is there? I'm thinking St. James? Maybe Ingalls? Can you imagine if you really were having a heart attack? The vacuum? Really? Glad to hear you're ok, but maybe take some time on that laptop and craft a letter to the hospital administrator!
 
Guaranteed that letters will be written. Loves - I was at South Surburban - NEVER again!
 
Forgot about South Sub....had some not-so-great times there with both my parents over the years. I could tell you a few stories....
 
I am so sorry that all happened to you ; as if you have not been through enough. I am sure when you were worried about the things that could happen during TKR this scenario never came up. I comepletely agree about South Suburban; I went there once in the ER and never again; Ingalls is better. Hopefully your symptoms have not returned,
 
After my harrowing day in the ER, I have slipped into a routine. I sleep on the recliner sofa each night. With all the pillows, the ice machine, and pain meds, I actually get a fairly good night's sleep. Last night I was awakened before pain pill time with my newest pain - a sharp spasm which hurts like the dickens, but only last seconds. I was only about 15 minutes before pain pill time, so I took it and went back to sleep. Slept through the next pain pill time by over an hour, and then for the first time, had to make a bathroom trip. So almost a whole night!

My wonderful husband refills the ice machine and hands me my morning coffee, and I surf the internet for a bit, taking the empty stomach meds. Then breakfast, and some therapy on my own. I'm doing stretches, leg movements, walking and walking backwards. In home therapy is Tuesdays and Thursdays. So far, the PT is doing well. No massages yet. I envy you guys with the massages, but he's pushing me without major pain. My biggest weakness is extension. The hamstring is tight, so I'm trying to stretch that whenever I think about it. My ROM was 90 in the hospital, and they told me not to push past that until staples are out. My therapist did measure close to 100 the first day he came, but he said I was cheating (?), so it didn't count. He didn't even measure last visit.

I find that a nap during the day is inevitable. If I stay awake through the sleep promptings in the a.m., I'm down for the count in the p.m. This is from someone who could NEVER sleep in the daytime unless ill.

My appetite has returned although I can't eat as much as before (which is a good thing!) Part of this I believe is because I froze so many meals prior to my surgery, so I know the stuff I'm eating will taste good, and it is all on my Weight Watcher diet as well. I have actually gained a couple of pounds since I returned from the hospital, but I had also lost seven pounds in 5 days, so I knew that wasn't going to stay put.

Overall, I'm very pleased with where I am currently. Wednesday will be staple removal day, and the two week anniversary. I'm quite mobile using walker and cane to get around. I still take pain meds around the clock and ice and elevate whenever sitting. The newest spasm pain that started yesterday is the worst pain I've experienced, but it comes and goes so quickly, I can't complain.

I've had one experience that lets me know that I have a totally new knee, and that things will be very different once I get past this rehab. On the last day in the hospital, the PT wanted me to put my foot on a step and lunge forward for a stretch. I looked at her and said, "Do you know how long it's been since I could lunge?" The grinding, popping, and pain that would occur had I tried that previously would have been mind boggling. I did it for the PT, and HAD NO PAIN! The future is NOW!
 
Had my 3rd PT today. Feel stronger and can move more without pain every time. After PT this time however, I had what seemed like deep bone pain on the outside of my leg below my knee. My husband has this little vibrator he was given when he was having nerve pain after a botched carpal tunnel. He held that vibrator over the area and just lightly ran it up and down. It was amazing how much better it felt.
Tomorrow I get the staples out.
 
Wow, you sound look you are doing well. Let us know how the staple removal is; does the home nurse do it. How much mobility do you have at this point and how is your sleeping
 
My P.A. at the base will be removing my staples. I'll let you know how that feels. I'm pretty mobile. I use a cane to get up from my "nest" on the couch, and transfer to a walker to go down the hall to the necessary room. The walker lets me improve on my gait better than the cane. I always walk down the hall paying special attention to my "heel, toe" and then walk backwards to the living room with the walker stretching my hamstring.
 
I made the cocktail I read about in the library-milk of magnesia, prune juice, And 7-up. It worked the next day. Instead of concocting it all together, I drank one element at a time.
Add vodka--and call it the "Phillips Screwdriver."
It's also a great hay fever remedy--won't cure your allergies, but you'll think twice about sneezing....
 
I'm a Palos fan myself. Both kids were born there. Our most recent trip was on New Year's Eve when we thought my husband was having a stroke or brain aneurysm. Always taken care of there!
 
It's amazing that we had surgery on the same day and we are in different places....or maybe it's just different remedies to get to the same end result. I'm only on the walker now if I'm feeling really in stable, therapy is three times a week, but she's great. Doesn't "push" but challenges to make sure I'm gaining strength. I haven't had a professional massage, but I do self massages to help with some of the tightness. (I took massage therapy classes years ago....so it's self prescribed things!).

I'm glad you're pleased with your progress...sounds like you're doing amazing. Keep up the good work!
 
Staples removed today with very little discomfort. What was discomforting was seeing the flesh gape open in a couple of places. My OS and P.A. didn't seem to think this was a problem. I now have a series of "steri-strips" down my incision and no longer have to have any kind of dressing on it. They said after a couple of days, I can shower without anything over the incision (except the steri-strips) as long as I don't scrub the area (not to worry.) The strips stay on til they fall off naturally. They just asked me to show my flex and extension and were quite impressed. My P.A. thought the ROM was about 100, but no one measured. He said I will probably be taking pain meds about another 6 weeks and won't be driving at least that long. I have to keep wearing the TEDS until I don't have a problem with swelling which was not today. I made the mistake of riding in the front seat on the way up to the hospital. I'm still paying for that even though I'm at home now and elevating and icing. I got in the back seat and elevated and iced in the car, but the 90 minutes of leg hanging down had already done its dirty business.
 
Yes, my ride to therapy is only twenty minutes and is tough but it is getting better. I have figured out a pretty nifty process for getting in and out of the car. Some observers might call it gymnastics! Lol!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom