TKR Onwards and upwards - my journey continues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patricia about the shower, my doc has his patients shower right away without covering incision but most the docs at my hospital have you keep it dry, cover it for showers. So mine was in the minority. Blue Shield nurse told me to keep it dry and not follow his instructions. After awhile I went ahead and showered without it being covered. Sorry if I mixed that up!
My good knee is causing a problem too. I would like to find a good pull on sleeve for it. For now will use 4inch ace. That was a good idea. This is my theory on the good knee pain we are having...when we are walking more and not using any support such as crutches, at first we okay but then as we tire, we start favoring the good knee and aren't using a proper gait that puts equal weight on both feet as we take steps, we basically start limping. And that's when the trouble seems to start for our good knee. So I am trying to pay attention to this and grab my crutches so that I am always "walking normal" even it means more use of crutches. Better to walk evenly on both feet with walker or crutches or whatever than to be limping and causing poor body alignment.
Why weren't you back on your Amlodipine right away? With all the pain your B/P would be up even more than usual. No salty nuts or crackers for you right now! I would just keep using your frame and also put your stockings back on both legs for a few days.
 
They advised me not to take the bp tablets Marianne because your bp normally goes down after surgery. They kept an eye on it in hospital and it was lower than it had ever been for years so they didnt want me to take the tablets and it go even lower. I am wearing both stockings during the day for another two weeks yet and am hoping the unoperated knee will be better tomorrow after resting and icing it today. It feels like I have pulled a muscle in it. Never boring these knees are they.
 
Well quite a goods night sleep but other knee still not right. Hopefully have a shower do some exercises, ice and elevate and things might improve today.:)
 
Hi Patricia-I woke up throbbing...hence up now. Thanks for explaining about the B/P med. You are already doing what you can about the swelling so I hope today is better. I'm so glad you got a good sleep! You are so right, these knees are never boring! Have a great day!
 
Much better today thanks Brig. At least i can walk with my crutches again. Hopefully will start progressing again now. :)
 
Hi Patricia, I am pleased to hear you are feeling a bit better today. Remember it is still very early days and stop a minute and think back to how it was in the first few days after surgery then you can congratulate yourself on how far you have come already.
One day at a time! Hope you had a bit of pampering today.
Toothfairy
:cocktail:
 
Looks like another day of icing and elevating. Both knees are very swollen and making it very difficult to exercise. Dont see my physio until next week so will try and do my best and hope it wont affect my movement. I really didnt think my unoperated knee wuld be such a problem and I hope it will calm down so I can concentrate on my TKR.
 
Patricia,
Do you wear any compression stockings (TEDs)? I wore them on both legs for several weeks. Must say I looked very chic in my white TEDs and shorts! LOL! But they helped my swelling alot. I still wear the TED on the TKT leg at night, but that is more that the sheets rubbing on the incision line bothers me. Wierd that since slacks don't bother me. Hope you knees calm down soon!
 
Ive been wearing them during the day Lisa for 4 weeks another 2 to go. I couldnt sleep with them on. Today when I had a shower i had to sit down and yet at 3 days post op i was fine. I feel very disheartened. Im even scared to go dwn the stairs with my crutches. I know the good leg takes the strain but ive never seen my good knee so swollen. Its twice the size of my operated one.
 
Patricia,

I am sorry things are so bad. Do you have anyone who can bring you ice upstairs or help you down? Stay safe! I hope things improve over the course of the day. Just ice and elevate and rest. Big hug.
 
At the moment I am on my own during the day my daughter and husband both work. Thats probably why I feel a bit down today. Thanks Lisa for your comments. They are appreciated. x
 
Patricia, Can you find a neighbor who might be able to stop by or help you a little on the days yoru daughter and husband are not available? I know that does not help you today but you might feel safer having that as a backup. I hope you are feeling better now that the day has gone on some. :kittykiss:
 
Hi Patricia,
Sorry to hear you are not having a good time.
Sounds like you need a few days resting, icing and elevating. You maybe need to leave the exercise for a few days.
If your good knee is still troubling you do you think you should get the doctor to look at it?
Hope tomorrow brings a better and brighter day.
Big hug,
Toothfairy :yes: :kittykiss:
 
Well here I am 4.30 am UK time and despite having little naps I cant seem to get a good sleep recently. Instead of reading or watching TV i tend to come on here and read some more posts. good news is my 'good' knee seems to be baving a little better. The swelling has gone down a lot making walking a lot easier. Had a terrible day yesterday but hopefully when i do get some sleep tomorrow will be a better day. Nite everyone Take Care:mcoffee: :sleep: hopefully x
 
Sorry Patricia sure isn't fair your good knee swelling up too. I know my good one is going bad too and will ask doc about it on Thursday. I guess we are doomed to repeat all this. You probably need to be using your crutches (or something) so that you aren't putting so much pressure on your good leg. When do you see your OS? You should call the office and tell them what's going on, if you haven't already done that. Sure sorry you are going through this!
 
Pat... I am sending the good sleep fairy to you.....:angel: Have a good nights sleep tonight and you can always nap today... I do have a small pillow I put under my new knee to sleep. It is soft and takes the pressure of the bed or my other leg off my knee. I am off to bed now, I think you are just having breakfast, or catching your last z's after being up at 4:30..... Have a good day!:SUNsmile:
 
Sorry you couldn't sleep Patricia, but I am happy to hear your "good" knee is doing better. I too did not sleep well having awakened before 2 and never returned to sleep. Sigh... It does get old.
 
Thank you Brownie, feeling better today and although i went from frame to crutches to one crutch, I am now back to using both crutches for support. It will be interesting to see what you r OS says about your good knee. I dont see mine until next week but as he already has x rays of both knees I have a feeling he will say the knee will need to be replaced sooner than later.:gaah:
Joy....... Hope you have a better sleep than me. I did have a couple of hours and will catch up with naps today. I just cant seem to get a comfortable position which wasnt helped with both knees being swollen. Hopefully tonight it will be different. Thank you replying to my post. Always nice to hear from you both.:cheers:
 
Sorry you couldn't sleep Patricia, but I am happy to hear your "good" knee is doing better. I too did not sleep well having awakened before 2 and never returned to sleep. Sigh... It does get old.
Yes it does Lisa. I love my sleep but im lucky that Im not working and do have the opportunity to catch up the next day. This certainly takes it out of you dosent it. I know the end result will be worth it it just seems to be so far away. I hope you have a lovely day. Take care:)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom