TKR Onwards and upwards - my journey continues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Debbie_joints
Once your knee/hip incision is totally healed you are OK. Unless you have a compromised immune system, you do not have to worry about the bacteria that might enter at a scratch or a hangnail. Typically a healthy person's immune system will handle things like that. But if you do have a cut that develops an infection you should see to it immediately and get on antibiotics if necessary; but at the least wash it in very hot soapy water and use some betadine on it and keep it clean and dry. Normally, some prevention is all you need. For instance, I wash my hands very well and often. When I get out of the pool or whirlpool I wash my TKR leg when I am in the shower well with soap and water. At my last OS appt. he told me he wanted me to wash the incision twice a day, so I do that morning and evening and if I do touch it during the day I make sure I wash my hands well first. We are good at fighting off bacteria in general but when our TKR is still fresh some extra TLC is a good idea with the wound and bacteria but that is just for a couple of months max. After that just really good hygiene is fine.
 
My regular doctor is not a fan of hot tubs/whirlpools but my OS had no problems with them. But it feels so good to get in and be able to stretch in it that I just always shower well afterwards. But I think her concerns were not just bacteria but also fungus, so i make sure I wear sandals on pool shoes in the pool area and locker room.
 
Pools don't harbor as much bacteria as hot tubs/spas. There is more chlorine and more water and a lot of evaporation due to large surface area. Hot tubs tend to have more germs due to the heat. Remember hearing about a lot of hot tub folliculitis caused by pseudomonas? Can you imagine that on our $100,000 bionic legs? ha!
I think that is hilarious about taking a bath in butt water. OMG my daughter is going love that.
I think my doctor nixed the pool for 3 months but not sure and will check next week. I think it would feel so good to tread water weightless. Can't wait.
Some great ideas! I like Lisa's thing about washing the leg twice a day. I got NO instructions, just okay to shower and no dressing once you go home!
 
Once again we learn more here than from our OS and health system. I have never been told to wash the scar. Just as Marianne said shower with no dressing. I will do that from now on. Thanks Lisa for your informative posts and my family are loving your desciption of butt bacteria Certainly made it our topic of conversation last night. Have a good day everyone.:)
 
Well that was the best tonic EVER. My friend Jane who I havent seen for 27 years since we went to live in Tennesee came to visit. What a lovely afternoon and for once didnt think about my knee. Such lovely memories we share as we were pregnant with out first boys together. Cheered me up no end.:yay:
 
I am going into my 6th week and I found the end of the 4th and definitely the 5th hard. Lots of swelling! Coming out of that a bit and am able to increase ROM a bit, it was at a stand still. Strengthening exercises are going very well. I hear these weeks are a little hard..onward we go! :happydance:
 
Hey Brig, this isnt an easy op to have at all. I went to visit family tonite and was asked "Are you still on crutches. Thought you would have been running around now with that new knee of yours" O if they only knew. Im tired of trying to explain Looks like i might have a bad week ahead of me maybe. Never mind. Onwards and upwards :dancy:
 
Patricia, it seems to be a pattern of a few other Bonesmart friends in these weeks, but not for all. Yes you are right, if only they knew. It's not easy trying to get new hardware to bend...it's down right difficult t times. Hang in there, we can only move forward:) I find evenings tough. Once I'm asleep I'm ok. Are you sleeping alright?
 
No not really but thats from years of not sleeping with arthritic knees. I wake up every couple of hours never slept thru from as long as i can remember. Maybe once this has healed a little better i might get my good nights sleep. Hope so.
 
Im a little confused. My knee was quite swollen at physio so i was advised to start taking my blood pressure tablets again as I havent taken them since surgery. It was 179/92 when i went. So ive started taking them my knee isnt as swollen but my ankle on my operated leg only is really swollen. My bp has come down tho. Josephine; perhaps you could advise.
 
What kind of blood pressure tablets are you taking? If they are diuretics (water tablets) then that was poor advice your PT gave you. Diuretics are not suitable for this kind of swelling. At four weeks you are bound to have swelling. The correct treatment at this stage is the usual mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
 
Well things are getting worse today. Swollen ankle gone down but my un operated knee really painful. So much so im back to using a frame as walking on my crutches was not good as good knee kept giving way. Its painful at the back of the knee and just in the centre under the knee cap at the front. Im just taking it easy today and will see what happens. Seem to have taken quite a few steps back today and not feeling very good.:groan:
 
Josephine; my BP tablets are called Amlodipine 10mg. Water tablets were given as a back up to use with these if they wernt effective but i havnt used them.
 
Patricia, sorry to hear your other knee is giving you so much grief :sorry: Having to compromise other parts of our bodies to heal doesn't make much sense, does it? May I suggest wearing a protective band/brace on your better knee, just something to stabilize it a bit. This is what I do and it helps. This morning, as it is morning here, I am going to the hospital to get more pain meds and to " hopefully" have my left hip looked at. Here in Canada, we seem to have a shortage of general practitioners, so we have to go to these Walk In clinics, which quite often don't prescribe anything more than an aspirin. I had to give up my physician when we moved...so much for a non flawed health care system. So then we end up going to the hospital for more serious issues. I will be thinking of you..get some rest today, we do get those off days.
 
Thanks for the reply Brig. Great minds think alike. I have put on a magnetic support and at least it feels more stable when i am walking. Good Luck at the clinic today. Take Care
 
Hi Patricia,
Sorry to hear you are having a difficult day. I hope tomorrow will be a better day for you. Rest, ice, elevate and try to find something that you enjoy, a little treat to pamper you and lift your spirits.
Keep taking the tablets! I will look for an update tomorrow,
Big hug,
Toothfairy :flwrysmile: :rolleyes:
 
Thanks toothfairy and a big hug back to you too. Hopefully tomorrow will be a much better day. I havent been downstairs today as i wasnt sure i would get down without falling my leg is giving way so much. Take Care x x
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom