TKR Onwards and upwards - my journey continues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't seem to muster much enthusiasm for Christmas this year. When I knew I would be at home I thought I would have everything ready nice and early for a change - WRONG :whistle: Have only just finished putting the decorations up and the tree is still to be done. That normally takes a whole day to do. Haven't written the cards out yet and that's a chore anyway. Oh dear sorry, I sound like Bah Humbug Scrooge

[Bonesmart.org] Onwards and upwards - my journey continues
[Bonesmart.org] Onwards and upwards - my journey continues
:heehee:

It is a small world that you had a caravan on the east coast. We spend a lovely weekend in Chester last October where we had a reunion with some friends of ours. They actually come from Manchester. I don't actually live in Cambridge. We live in a village about 22 miles south of the city, but I do work there and I love it. It's so full of life. I'm a born and bred Londoner in reality. Wouldn't move back there, but love to visit - yet even more life there - the shops, night life, theatres, etc. love it!

Hope you had a good afternoon and your back didn't play up too much.
 
Well have come back down to earth after my lovely outing with my son and grandaughter Robyn. Firstly I apologise, no pictures. Because of security issues we wernt allowed to take them. I was impressed with the estate from the moment we arrived. It is auctully 11,500 acres and it is HUGE. Wild deer roaming around as we drove thru the large gates. The house itself..... think Downton Abbey. The chapel was thru a large courtyard and the service lasted an hour including a choir from Chester Cathederal.. The Duchess was there the Duke currently in Spain and she stood at the door and shook everyones hand as we walked out. We had to address her as Your Grace. I was in awe. We then stood in the courtyard and all the children were given bells and we sang Jingle Bells and Father Christmas with his reindeer appeared. Magical. Robyn loved it. Then we went into an annexe called the Long Room for drinks and nibbles. Father Christmas appeared again told the children a story and gave them a present. What a lovely evening. My aches and pains were forgotton and i really enjoyed it. My son is so lucky to work there.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Onwards and upwards - my journey continues
So glad you, your son, and your granddaughter had such an awesome day! Memories are made from stuff like this.
[Bonesmart.org] Onwards and upwards - my journey continues
 
That sounds like a lovely outing, so special. I am sorry to not see your posh frock. You are so lucky to have your little Robyn. what a treasure. I am just catching up on your thread after about a week. It sounds like lots of ups and downs, meds, bp, back pain-ow! but it sounds like you are coming back to a better place. We had our surgeries around the same time. I find that my energy is coming back but that I tire relatively quickly and no way can I do a full day. By 7 at night I am pretty tired and am just waiting to go to bed! I am glad to hear your back is improving. That can be excruciating. Sometimes it's the muscle spasms that are causing all the pain. We are certainly not allowed to do too much with this recovery! My definition of overdoing it has changed. It takes less to overdo now, way less. Lucky for me I am not one of those type A people. I can be content resting and lolling around if need be. I like to say I'm type O ( omega). :spin:
 
Patricia that is so wonderful!!! I am so happy you had such a special time with your little granddaughter Robyn. She will remember the event and the time spent with you forever!!!! Happy Hugs to you!!!
PS What kind of shoes did you wear?
 
Well today Im really pleased with myself. My husband drove me to the supermarket but was told by me to wait in the card. Really didnt need much persuading auctually. So then I walked to the trolley park No Cane and got a trolley. Which I held on to for dear life all the way round. But I did all the shopping myself first time for a long while, all Gary did was put it in the car and carried it in when we got home. I then sat down at the ironing board which is normal for with my arthritic knee and did 2 hours ironing. I feel like I can see a little tiny light twinkling at the end of a very long tunnel. Yaaay. i enjoyed today.

@Brownie51 Marianne I wore a warm military style coat mid calf, with a long dress underneath so I wore my long boots underneath which gave me little support and they have a small heel which was very comfortable.
 
Sounds like it was a magical day for you yesterday, Patricia. Yes, your son is very lucky to work in such a grand place.

That was an excellent achievement today with your shopping and good to hear you are seeing that twinkling light.
 
:dancy:That is sooo great! It is the little things that seem so big to us. It lifts your spirits! Independance!!!!!:happydance:

I thought they might not let you take pictures at the estate.... If posted online it gives ner' do wells a chance to case the grounds and chapel without risk. It sucks that the 'upper crust' always have to worry about that. The up side is you had no distractions to the enjoyment of you adventure with Robyn and her Dad. Thanks for sharing.
 
Wow--2 hours of ironing. Can you come to my house? :heehee: Very happy with your progress, robyn!
 
Wow--2 hours of ironing. Can you come to my house? :heehee: Very happy with your progress, robyn!
Yes this is the only thing my family havent done so ts piled up quite a bit. I feel so much better now its done.
 
I am so bad at ironing that i refuse to buy clothing if it needs to be ironed. I don't even own an iron anymore!
 
I am so bad at ironing that i refuse to buy clothing if it needs to be ironed. I don't even own an iron anymore!
O you are like my daughters Shelly. None of them own one. Its a dyin trade i think with tumble dryers and radiators to dry your clothes on. Lots of things dont need ironing but I just feel better when I have done it. Weird.
 
Does anyone know if there is any information in the library about using an exercise bike. I dont see my physio until the 20th December and my hubby has just bought me a bike from ebay. Im not sure how long you should use it and how often. Help!
 
I don't know about an article but my OS just told me that I should be using it at home. I told him I couldn't get all the way around yet but he said to just go back and forth as far as I could.
 
Patricia, If you have not been riding a bike recently, then like any exercise, start slowly. Start at 5 minutes a day. Is it a recumbent or upright? If it is a recumbent, you can make the seat go back far so you can make the revolution easier than with an upright. See how your knee feels the next day. You might feel looser right afterwards and then stiffen up a little. Personally I think that is OK as the exercise increase blood flow to the area so you feel looser and then after you stop as the that blood flow has stopped you might get a little stiffer. But as long as you don't get a ton of swelling or heat in the knee you should be OK. Then after a few days, if 5 minutes goes OK do 7, or do 5 minutes in the morning and then 5 in the afternoon. You can also gradually move the seat closer to the pedals as your flexion improves. I hope you like the bike. I love it! I ride the bike in my health club that is next to the big windows and listen to my music and the time just goes by. Have fun!, One more thing, you can ride it everyday if you want, although it is a good thing to cross train and alternate bike and some other activity: bike and swim, bike and walk, bike and use an elliptical trainer, etc.
 
Shelly, I am so like you! I do not iron clothes and have few that need ironing. I only iron quilting fabric! :)
 
When I go to my knee class, the first thing she does is put us on the recumbent bike for 10 minutes. Its my favorite part becuz it really loosens up my knee. I have seen folks 2 weeks out of a tkr in my class riding the bike for that long. You just have to find the right distance for you on the bike, and off you go. But you might want to start at 5 min like Lisa said for now and slowly work your way up. Hugs!
 
Thank you so much Lisa, Gail and Shelly. I just love this site for when you have a query. Its better than google :yay:
 
Patricia, Justt read your post about your outing. How wonderful! When you said picture Downton Abbey, it just brought it all together. What a memory to treasure!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom