Guest viewing is limited

THR Onward and upward

@Cillacat …. I’m sorry you didn’t receive the emails we sent out about our switch to a 2-tier membership program. By any chance did you ever opt to unsubscribe from our emails? If you send me your correct email address in a DM, I’ll make sure the address is correct in our database.

As you’ve found out, access to the BoneSmart Library articles are now a Premium Service that requires a subscription. There are a number of options for this:
  • Insiders Club - 1 month: $9.99 per month
  • Insider Club - 12 months: $59.99 per year
  • Insiders Club - 3 months: $24.99 per 3 months
  • Insiders Club - 6 months: $44.99 per 6 months
You can upgrade from your current Basic Membership either by clicking on the Insiders ad (at the side of the page for desktops and tablets) or bottom of the page (phones) or by clicking on your avatar/username at the top of the page and selecting MEMBERSHIP on the drop down menu. The small amount we are asking for subscription fees is going to make sure BoneSmart is able to fund what we do here and enable us to offer even more benefits for our Insiders. I hope you’ll consider giving it a try.
 
Thankyou @mendogal and @Jamie for all your info. I have just subscribed to the paid tier of Insiders Club and made sure i am subscribed to all the emails! It's bed time here now so I'm looking forward to exploring the site in more detail tomorrow.... and especially having the opportunity to delve into the articles. Thank you for a wonderful service! :flwrysmile:
 
Welcome to the next level! Thanks for joining the Insiders Club and supporting the community.
It's nice to have you here, Cillacat!
@Cillacat
 
Thank you @Cillacat for your vote of confidence in our team.
 
Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well and you're happy with your progress so far.
Take care and keep in touch. We love updates! :wave:
@Cillacat
 
We’ll be here to give you our full support. Just let us know if you have any questions or concerns.
 
Well the proof is in the pudding so to speak! I am four and a half weeks now post surgery. I went with great trepidation to see a physio at 3 weeks to get some help for my knee which was troubling me quite a bit. His approach was so gentle - he told me I was doing far too much, i needed to walk much less and walk more slowly and just continue to do the very gentle range of movement exercises I had been given at the hospital immediately post surgery. I wasn't to try to increase the repetitions of those exercises either - and only do them twice a day, if anything less than I had been told to do them while in hospital. He also did some very gentle massage and gave me a fairly low-compression knee brace to wear which made an immediate difference to my comfort level.

So I did exactly what he had said, probably 40% of what I had been doing, and one week later, last Thursday, revisited him. I was thrilled as he said my range of movement had increased dramatically and the knee pain was definitely reducing significantly. Like BoneSmart advice he also said no strengthening or resistance exercises for two or three months.... how refreshing is that from a professional PT! If my knee hadn't been bugging me so much this time I would not have gone having had a dreadful PT experience last year with my first hip replacement (multiple reps of squats, bridges, Theraband resistance exercises from week 2), but it was really validating to get that sort of assessment from a professional PT this time and I wanted to share it.

He also emphasized the importance of rest and I do find I am getting very tired after not much activity so tend to rest on the bed for a good hour to an an hour and a half every day. Interestingly he said that it can take up to 500 days for absolute total healing to occur from a hip replacement, not that we would necessarily be feeling discomfort that long, the deep tissue trauma can still show signs of healing for that long. All the more reason to take things gently at the beginning, eh?

By the way, I am still taking things VERY slowly and continue to feel that I am seeing light at the end of the tunnel.... so I am feeling very positive about my healing and return to mobility.
 
Last edited:
Great update Cillacat!
And refreshing to hear of a gentle approach PT person!
Yes, it can take up to one year (maybe more) to feel completely normal again but along that timeline you will experience "milestones." I call it something you do that you don't think about & then realize "oh, I couldn't do that just 3 days ago!" And it's a great ah ha moment.
I did very good from about 6 months on. One year I was good & I've said many times Year 2 just got better. I just celebrated beginning of Year 3 yesterday!
You've already gone through one recovery so you have that knowledge & even though each recovery is unique you are at an advantage having already been through it & knowing what works for you.
And definitely rest. I did a lot of one hour time outs in my early days & when the hip said I've had enough I listened & rested.
 
So happy to hear you are progressing so nicely @Cillacat! Sounds like you found a great PT to work with you & steer you in the right direction so you don’t overwork things. Do you still have soreness/tightness in your hip area? I find that first thing in the morning & after I’ve been sitting for a while, I’m pretty stiff when I start walking. Just wondering, since we are at the same point in recovery, if you experience that, too. I have my first post-op appt with my surgeon tomorrow

Take care of yourself…..sounds like you are doing great!
 
Hi @Leedogmom2 Yes indeed I do have the tightness and soreness in my hip area like you, especially after sitting in my chair ( which I still do a lot of) or in the mornings when I get up. In fact, I am starting to not use my cane walking around the house but always make sure I have it when I first stand up as it is often an ouch moment. Interestingly as the pain in my knee has lessened I am more aware of the tenderness in my hip. I suspect it's been there all the time but just overshadowed by the knee.

It's very encouraging to know we seem to be at the same place recovery wise. All the best with the post-op appointment with your surgeon tomorrow, I have mine Wednesday next week. We must compare notes..... we are nearly at 5 weeks now, how wonderful!
 
How are things going, @Cillacat? Hope you’re continuing on the gentle path and doing better. I’m so glad you’ve found a good therapist. They can make all the difference in recovery!
 
I am going well thank you, @Jamie. I am no longer using a walking cane in the house except if I am very tired or during the night when I get up for the inevitable 'loo stop. I saw my physio again today who is pleased with my progress but continued to urge caution in not overdoing it so I think I am really lucky to have such a good one who believes in very gentle rehab, even at 6 weeks!
 
This is all so great to hear!! Six weeks is still early in your recovery and it is easy to overdo things. You're smart to keep increases in activity and exercise slow and steady. Keep up the good work!
 
I was wondering how long people tend to use mobility aids after hip replacement? As I mentioned in my post above, I am not using the walking cane in the house now unless I am tired or during the night but I still take it on my walks. I am not using it the whole time when out walking though, but find it helpful at times and especially when going up little inclines or declines. I am trying to walk on the flat as much as possible but not easy where I live. Although I have been through all this before 12 months ago, last time was very abnormal thanks to the problems when I needed the walker and crutches for nearly 4 months!

I am increasing my walking slowly, my PT advised not more than 5-10% a week, and only to do that two or maybe three times in the week and to drop back the other days to my maximum of the week before. At this stage, it's a matter of 2 -2 1/2 minutes increase a week. It doesn't seem much but it seems to be working for me as I have not needed any pain relief lately. I am still getting pretty tired....and still have a little rest almost every day... and I am STILL learning that listening to my body with patience is the best rehab!!!!
 
Last edited:
Hi @Cillacat ! Happy 6 wk anniversary! I am still using my cane, too….pretty much just like you. If I’m just walking around the house, fixing dinner, etc., I don’t use it. But, when I first get up in the morning or during the night for the potty visit, I do use it. I’m still having some soreness & stiffness, but nothing too bad. I’m trying to increase my walking slowly, as well. We live on a steep hill (10%) incline. Yesterday, I drove to the bottom of the hill & was able to take a nice walk on a flat trail. I’m not quite ready to tackle that hill yet. Slow and steady!

Happy to hear you are doing well!
 
I'd say to use walking aids as long as you feel you need them. There's nothing wrong with having cane with you just in case you felt you need it. And I kept mine by my bed for evening bathroom trips even after I no longer needed it. It was a "safety net" for me.
You sound like you are doing very well.
Slow & steady is definitely the way to go.
 
@Cillacat
Your PT's advice is fully in line with the approach I used in my knee replacement recovery - 10% increases and alternating more active days with less active ones.

I live at the top of a not too long but pretty steep driveway. My husband would drive me down to street level and park across the street where there's an actual sidewalk!

"Just in case" advice: If I ever overdid it, I took the next day off to rest, ice, and elevate, and then looked at whatever time or distance was the trigger and reduced it by 1/4 to 1/3.
 
Thank you @mendogal and @myglasshalffull for your words of encouragement. Good to know I am on track! Your advice @mendogal re having the next day off is very helpful.... I must say, at this stage, it doesn't take much to over do things. Today I went for a short walk with a friend and we ended up going up a slightly steeper incline (was only very short and not that steep) than I had bargained for, and also I ended up walking about 3 extra minutes and tonight I am quite sore. So in the light of your comment I will take tomorrow off and not feel I am being slack!

Happy 6 weeks anniversary to you too @Leedogmom2! The time has really flown past so quickly and it's really good to hear that we are very much at the same stage in what we are doing. I think of you quite often actually and wonder how you are going, so I am very pleased to hear you are going well too. Luckily I don't have a steep driveway but i live near the top of a mountain so it's not easy to find flat areas if I just want to go for a walk from home. But we are both getting there..... and I definitely think slow and steady is the name of the game. :dancy:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Cillacat You are doing so well on this second hip. I am so glad to hear this. I've been stalking you today to see if the knee has resolved. How FORTUNATE you are on that great PT! Such a rare find in the states, I believe. I bet it is such a relief to have a better healing experience than the first hip. You are a source of inspiration to me.
@mendogal and I'm the "person under the bed" on your advice to her. I'm kicking myself for overdoing yesterday and so your advice - the next day...rest, back off and for me the beautiful heating pad!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom