Guest viewing is limited

TKR One Year Update: problems cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my goodness! Walk on his knee! That's awful, terrible and abuse!

@LoveGiants the nurse took my staples out and I cried out in pain for every other staple,there were 32 the first time. With the infection surgery I had 52 staples. I was in such pain taki to those out they took half out one week and the other half the other week, plus the knee started seeping as soon as they took the staples out. I cringed just reading about your experience. At least my nurse crouched down and my knee was propped up on a little step.

You are only two weeks out, there is lots of time for ROM and extension. Just work on that extension a little at a time. My OS never measured for either and the PTs only measured for ROM, but my TKR almost hyperextends now.
 
If I saw a therapist abusing another person, there's no way I could have kept quiet-I'm pushy that way. I'd have gone over to him, told him she was abusing him and he COULD JUST SAY NO!!!!! Then I'd hand him a piece of paper with bonesmart's addy and told him to check it out! Maybe I should just keep quiet and MMOB, but I'm just not wired that way....lol.
 
I can't believe how a PT could do that to someone. That really was very sadistic. Knowing me I probably would have told her to stop torturing that poor man. It's very wise of you to steer clear of her.
 
Wow. Good for you for telling her what you thought of her technique. Sounds like real torture.
 
How awful to have to watch that torture to that poor fellow. I don't know if I could have kept quiet either. How can two pts that work at the same place have such different techniques? Is there no consistency any where? It sounds like they can just do what they feel like doing with no protocol to follow? I'm so glad you told her how you felt! How could she be surprised?
 
@uva55 - What a shocking story! Walking on his knees? That's absurd. She shouldn't be a PT. I'd be tempted to report her. That's sickening and abusive.

@KarriB - thank you. I'm so glad to have support here because it's so easy to become worried.

My whole leg hurts now and I feel set back a couple days. I'm hoping it feels better tomorrow.
 
I am so sorry you had to go through such a painful staple removal. That sounds just horrible. I hope you are resting and able to get that incident behind you now. I just feel so bad for the unnecessary pain you had to endure.
 
@uva55 That poor man! That PT needs to be written up. Sounds like she was ticked that he had questioned her methods. He needs to find another one.

The only time I ever witnessed something like that was when my regular PT was out and she had a sub. While I was doing my exercises, the sub was working with an acquaintance (small town) whose had terrible ROM. I had always noticed his bowed (sort of ) legs. I think the bowing and his gait seemed to cause lots of issues for him. Anyway, the subbing PT wasn't pleased with this man's ROM, so he kept manipulating his knee. Finally, he climbed on top of the bed and wrestled the man's knee to bend it. Looked like WWE for a while.

This incident was with my first knee. To be honest, I was so afraid that my second knee would be like my friend's knee and not wonderful like my first one. Then, I'd be the one lying under a sadistic PT. Fortunately, this knee is doing much like my first one with the ROM and extension. Whew! Not that I'd let someone pull that mess on me, but...


Katrina
Two ACL surgeries on left knee (March 2001 & May 2006)
RTKR ---15 December 2015
LTKR--- 12 July 2016
 
@uva55

I hope that man is okay. Anyone who even suggested that I walk on my knees would have gotten "the look"! Forcing me to do it? Well, let me tell you something.... my surgical leg would have been doing an awful lot of bending.... kicking the therapist where it hurts! And I probably would have been in trouble, but that's where I wouldn't care. I do hope the man is ok. If you happen to see him again, please let us know.
 
Two Weeks out and I'm not loving my knee or my Giants :tantrum:

After PT and staple removal yesterday, I'm in a fair amount of pain. It was harder to sleep last night and I was thinking about and praying for some people here and that poor man Clara talked about.

I'm sure my knee will bounce back after a day of icing and elevating then I can do some more heel slides and walking. The PT asked if I had been walking for 15 minutes. I haven't at all and I felt like a slacker! But up until last Friday or so, just walking to the front of the house was excruciating. I do want to walk more when it's feeling better. Hopefully this afternoon or tomorrow.

I will admit to being surprised that the PT appointment caused so much pain and discomfort. Some heel slides, extension (heel on towel) and laying on the table (that was 15 minutes of hell) don't sound like much, but wow :yikes:. It even hurt to sit on the toilet when I got home because my quad hurt (thankfully that's gone). So bizarre.

@Diane LTKR - thank you so much.

My dog noticed I wasn't doing well and she was by my side and giving me kisses. So sweet.

BUT! It's a new day and the knee will feel better. Now if the Giants can start winning we'll be rockin! Dear baseball gods, can we pretty pleeeeeeease have our starters back????

I hope you all are doing well today!
 
Your baby knee is only 2 weeks old. You aren't supposed to be doing much of anything at this time in your recovery. Check out the activity progression in the reading materials left for you on your 1st. page. You'll do fine if you follow this guide. You can't make your knee heal any quicker by doing more things. If anything, you'll slow it down. Please be careful and don't overdo. It hurt a lot and sends you back in your recovery. I've been there, and know it! Please learn by so many of our experiences. That's why we're here. We want to help each other!
 
Julie, I'm sorry the staple removal was such an ordeal, and PT just added to it. I remember that two week appointment, I could barely walk or get in and out of the car. It's such early days, but it will get better.
 
I still love my Giants, just not happy they keep losing...:sad: At two weeks out you should mostly be resting, elevating and icing, so don't feel like a slacker. Your knee is in charge and will have no problem telling you what you can and cannot do. Right now it's telling you to take it easy and let it heal. A few ankle pumps and heel slides are the most you should do, and that's it. Normal walking to the bathroom, kitchen, etc, is plenty for now. As time goes on our natural desire to get off our rears will coincide with the healing and you will begin to do a little bit, then a little more. Until then, rest elevate and :ice::ice::ice:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
@sistersinhim - Thank you for the kick in the bum, it was needed :). I do have that page open on a tab on my iPad. I'll have to re-read it.

@Tabbycat - Thank you for your encouragement.

@lovetocookandsew - Oh I love them still. I even love my knee, but this morning I was being a little frustrated cranky bum. I seriously LOVE my icing machine. It's been the best thing because I have it going all the time. My knee is feeling a little better now than earlier.

We've been through worse times with the Giants for sure! I can't wait to get Hunter back! We do need some bullpen help, get on it Sabean!

I left that appointment feeling like a failure and worried. It really is hard to not let these thoughts get into your head, isn't it? Thanks so much for helping me through it. I do appreciate your encouragement and help.
 
It is hard not to look for improvements daily, but I found looking at recovery in weeks is easier because we just don't see improvements day to day. We want to, but most don't. Rest, elevate, ice, then nap until the first pitch is thrown. :chillpill: Pirates are playing the Mariners tonight!
 
If I were you I wouldn't even take pt until another month or so, so your knee can heal more before you start working it. As I've said, I don't even take PT, not even after 11 knee surgeries. I can walk, drive, clean house, weed the flower beds...etc. Everything I need to do, I can do! I'm just not lifting or carrying anything heavy, or doing a lot of shopping or string trimming the yard or riding the mower for long because I still need a whole lot of healing, but I'll get back to those things, too. You will be fine, especially if you take it nice and easy!
 
@KarriB - since we also follow the Red Sox, that's 4pm. My hubby is a New Englander, so we obsess over both teams.

@sistersinhim - That's what I was thinking. I have my following up OS appointment in a few weeks and will wait to see how that goes. He's not a fan of PT :), so I'm not worried about being pressured. I hope to have good enough ROM by then. If PT would help me later, fine. But for now, I'll let it heal and do some heel slides.

Some inspiration for getting better: [Bonesmart.org] One Year Update: problems cycling
 
[Bonesmart.org] One Year Update: problems cycling



Bethany Beach was my motivation, along with going to baseball games. We had two storms last week while at Bethany Beach, both at night. A Pittsburgh photographer was at Ocean City, not far from Bethany. He caught the storms that woke me up in the middle of the night.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom