TKR One Year Update: problems cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so glad you are feeling better, be careful that you don't cut down on your meds too much, it's only been a couple of weeks for you. I saw my OS at two weeks and he changed me from Oxy to Norco and Tramadol and I still needed that for at least another week, with some Tylenol at times. Once in a while I still have to go back to my pain meds still.
 
A lot of this journey is trial and error, finding out what we can and can't do. What works this week, might not next week. It's crazy. Just remember there are up days, but then those down days come. And most of the time, it seems like for no reason at all. But, your body will be your guide.
 
@uva55 - Thank you and good point, for sure. I took two last night and at 3 am and 7:30 am. It always hurts the most in the morning. The PA suggested that instead of two every five hours, I could try one every two and a half. That's what I did yesterday and thought I'd wait until I felt I should take one.

@sistersinhim - So true. I'm sure there will be down, or more challenging, days. I've read others' recovery adventures and that seems to be very common. This forum is so helpful for us newbies to learn realistic expectations. Thank you to everyone who has shared their experiences.

I noticed my leg twitching a few times yesterday and last night—sometimes quite a bit. It even woke me up from a nap!

After waking at around 2 am, I had a harder time falling back to sleep. I was sooooooooo over sleeping on my back. I took another dose of pain meds and my hubby swapped out the ice in the machine, but I couldn't get comfortable. I even tried rolling on my side. Nope. That lasted about five seconds :snork:. I eventually fell back to sleep. Thankfully.

I'm feeling good today. Sore this morning, as usual, but it's nice to be lying down and watching baseball. Go Giants!!!
 
I had some of that twitching at the beginning of recovery, but not anymore, so maybe it's part of this lovely joy ride :)
 
The twitching is really weird, but surprising when you're sleeping! I must have looked like popcorn in the microwave :snork:.

I was able to life my leg a couple inches! Small steps :happydance:
 
Good Monday morning! I know it's Monday because my husband went back to work today and I'm home alone :shocked:(couldn't resist that one—makes me laugh).

I've settled on one Percocet every three hours during the day and will see how that works when I'm fending for myself. Hubby set up the ice machine and pillows on the sofa and made coffee, so I'm off to a great start :).

I have an appointment with PT for staple removal this afternoon. I'll fess up, I'm quite nervous about that. I also can't bend my leg very much at all because it's still quite swollen. Another observation, my knee is still numb on both sides of my leg. I've noticed that when removing my dressing, but really noticed it when shaving my legs. I'm sure that's normal, at least I hope it is.

I am looking forward to getting out of the house and wearing real clothes, too bad it's over 100*.

I hope you are all having a blessed day!
 
Oh boy, that first lift! That's great. And what a wonderful feeling! Baby steps!

It will feel so much better to get those staples out! It's a relief. Let us know how it goes.
 
It does feel better to have the staples out, but I found it painful and made sure I had pain meds in me for the second set of staples. I think the leg twitching are the nerves regenerating. Not sure if that's the right terminology, but I experienced it also. If anyone else was in the room I'd yell for them to. One and watch my leg twitch all on its own. I found it amazing! Even when I went back to work my leg would twitch while I was teaching, it was totally weird.

The numbness should disappear in the next months. Unfortunately, I still have large areas of numbness due to the two surgeries.
 
Thanks for the encouragement. It's wonderful to know that what I'm experiencing is normal.

I can't wait to get the staples out. I *hate* looking at them when changing the dressing. It looks so wrong! I was a huge wimp in biology and have a weak stomach, so the staples in my skin don't work for me :wink:. I'm sure my leg will feel better without them. I was thinking of taking two pain pills instead of the one, which is due right when we need to leave.

I do worry about straining my knee, so am still using the scarf to get my leg up on the foam and pillows.

T-2 hours. /nerves
 
Some people have the staples out and it's a breeze, others, like me, :gaah:have a rough time of it. Just make sure your meds are on board and if it gets too hard, ask for a break. Mine had scabbed over most of the staples so that made it really hard. My knee is still really numb on the right side, supposedly it'll go away but it hasn't for over two years, so I doubt it. In general, normal people get feeling back but since I'm far from normal............:heehee:. Too bad it's hot as heck out and those dang Giants.....:flabber:
 
I used the leg lifter all the time, Julie and I still have a hard time seeing photos people post of their staples. I was so thankful mine were covered with a silverlon dressing until the staples came out. I never saw the actual incision until I was in the Drs office to get the staples out. I am a wuss and I know it.
 
@LoveGiants I hope your staple removal went well. I had mine out today too. Feels so much better. A few of them pinched a little coming out but most I never felt. Let us know how it went for you.
 
OMG. Longest hour of my life. Well, maybe initial TKR recovery and labor sans proper meds...but you get the idea.

My medical group has PT do staple removal. Never again.

He proceeded to measure my ROM. I couldn't bend it much, around 60*.

PT: "Not good, Julie! If it doesn't get better (you know what's coming!) you're going to need a manipulation under anesthesia. That's where they knock you out and..."

Me out loud: "I know what it is!!!"

Me in my head: ":censored: :censored: :censored:"

He then started to bend my leg. :bignono: I had to tell him, twice, to stop and let me do it.

Then he had me work on extension and put a towel under my heel and left me there.

Thankfully my husband was with me and he removed the towel when I had enough (about 90 seconds).

To prep my knee for staple removal, the PT put electrical stimulation and ice on my knee. He had me lie down on my back and for some reason I was incredibly uncomfortable and in pain. He did put a roller under my legs, but I was still miserable. I tried to not be a wuss, but I had tears and a lot of "help me Jesus!"

Fifteen loooooong minutes later, he took the staples out. I kept my eyes covered and had to remind myself to breathe. The removal stung and a few hurt a bit, but compared to the earlier misery, not terrible.

I have my entire incision covered by steri strips (is that what they're called?) because it was spread a bit in a couple places.

My hubby was wonderful and I'm home with my jammies on, ice machine cranking, and Sox on TV. Hopefully the Giants will give me something to cheer about.
 
I am so sorry you had to go through all that. Hopefully that was your first and last visit with PT! No way you need to even be thinking about an MUA at this point,and not likely ever. Sometimes this is what I want to say to some PTs.....
[Bonesmart.org] One Year Update: problems cycling
They have decided where you should be, and when, and nothing will change their minds!
 
I'm so glad that's over with for you. And you might as well never go back to pt. They are treating wrong. You know what to do, and that's not to cause pain!
 
Thanks @lovetocookandsew and @sistersinhim -

I was a bit worried why lying on the bed would hurt so much, especially at the bottom of my knee. Even with my knee propped up by the bolster, I was in tears.

My knee has been very warm and red all around and the PT was wondering why. I said "it's been painful."

His reply, "everyone hurts." :censored:

He also asked how I was elevating and wanted to know if I kept my leg straight. He did not like that I said I had a slight bend. I told him it was per my surgeon's instructions. He didn't seem to believe that a surgeon would recommend that. But my OS took a photo of his wife with her legs elevated and with a slight bend. I'm going with my doc on this one. The PT seems to subscribe to the "window of opportunity" theory. He was pushing getting "that motion."

It's still hurting now and I'm a twitching machine whenever I close my eyes. So odd.

The PT said to make an appointment for next week. Ya right. My husband mentioned it when we passed the front desk. "I'll call later."
When hell freezes over. :ice:
 
I'm so sorry you had to go through all that painful stuff...

I actually saw a terrible case of a sadistic PT today, when I went for therapy today, there was a gentleman, I would say in his mid 70's, he had a left TKR, as soon as he came in he told his PT, I'm never doing that excercise you made me do last time...she told him he line about, no pain no gain...he said he was in pain foe 2 days afterwards.

I don't know if she was mad at him, but she made him kneel and walk on his knees, he looked very uncomfortable but he never complained. When it was time to stretch on the table, she told him to get on his stomach then put a strap on his foot and had him stretch, his ROM was 101, then she said he had to do it 4 more times and she would help, by the 5th stretch he measured 120, the gentleman was almost in tears but never told her to stop.

On my way out my girl was not available the time I wanted for Tuesday and Thurs next week,so I made appointment for Monday and Friday, the sadistic witch was at the counter and said she was available on Tues and Thurs, I told her after watching how she treated that gentleman, I would quit PT before letting her anywhere bear my knee, she actually looked surprised.

I felt so bad, but I didn't say anything because the gentleman looked like he could take care of himself, but I had to bite my tongue. Even my therapist kept looking over at them.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom