TKR One Year Update: problems cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
@KarriB - I love good bread. I've baked it, but with mixed success. I figured I'll wait until I have more time to devote to really mastering it. Dairy bothers me, so casseroles are a challenge. All the good ones require cheese! I miss enchies and mac & cheese. :gaah:

That's great news for Ashley! Congratulations!
 
Happy Saturday!

A couple firsts the past couple days: I was able to start a heel slide without assistance from my other foot. That doesn't sound like much, but it was nice to see. I also went outside to sit on the patio this morning! It felt great to be out with my hubby and doodle. I was hesitant to try it at first because the flagstone is uneven and I wanted to be sure I would be OK.

I've noticed that my icing pad would get warm pretty quickly and my leg never felt really cold. My husband would frequently swap ice, but that didn't seem to help. I was thinking of switching to ice packs, but wanted to check the machine one last time. So I held the pad upside down and kept pressing on it, hoping that there was something clogging the cold water. Finally, it seems to be working correctly! But what a DORK! I should have checked that weeks ago because I have lost a lot of icing time. :headbang::headbang::headbang:

So, if anyone is reading this to prepare for their surgery, make sure your icing machine works correctly BEFORE your surgery, and not two and half weeks AFTER :wink:.

Hopefully that explains why the swelling has been so slow to go down.

I'm doing my stretches (heel slides and extensions) and am focusing on walking as normally as possible (heel to toe). I'm still on my walker and think it's probably good to stay on it until I have more ROM and can have a more normal gate. I don't have a cane yet, need to get on that.
 
I went to a cane as soon as I came home from transition care, but just in the house, when I went out we packed up the walker. I still have canes all over the house and one in the car! They're great for reaching things and jabbing people, plus my left knee gets cranky.

Ok, let's keep track of your swelling now that the icing machine is working better! I'm just curious as to how much it will go down.
 
Someone posted that a cane is good for alerting people that you're recovering or need to be given some room.

I hope it does go down now so I can bend it more. I know, patience! :snork:
 
Get a hurrycane, they are great, very stable, and can easily fold to store. I have been using one for a few months now as my knee has deteriorated

Done! Looks good and comes in purple!!! There are cheaper options, but I'm sure I'll use this for a while. Thanks for the recommendation.
 
Hey there. I wanted to add my two cents worth...You may already have done this but in case you haven't....Remove the labels from the water bottles, even the labels that are plastic-like, as they break down and add gunk to the water, which will clog the lines. Also, rinse out the machine every couple of days as they seem to get a bit gunky, which will also clog the lines. I also run it without the pad part attached and let it run into the sink to clean out the lines every so often. I've even thought about running water with a little vinegar through every so often as we have hard water, but haven't yet as I need to research and see if it'll harm anything or not first. I still think your swelling isn't bad at all, especially after only two weeks!
 
@LoveGiants ya, when I bought the cane I used for my hip, I was always sorta unstable with it if I didn't land the tip squarely on the floor. The hurrycane has that great little three rubber grips base that trains to pivot/bend with your gait. Works really well.
 
I didn't get a cane before my surgery because I was being a dork, thinking I was too young to use a cane :umm:, but had decided to suck it up and get over it :snork: if I had to wait for surgery. Too bad they didn't have orange.

And yeah! Hunter is back!!!! :happydance::dancy::egypdance::yes!::yahoo:
 
I thought Hunter and Panik were two dogs and I missed something. Silly me. I don't watch baseball, only golf and when the Gator football is on.

A friend of mine loaned me her cane when she had to go to a walker. She died a couple years ago. I feel so special using it and it reminds me of what a courage woman she was.
 
@Floridagal - heeheheeee...I *love* baseball. My later father took my brother and I to see the Giants at The Stick (Candlestick Park, their old ballpark) when we were kids and taught us to heckle the Dodgers and score the game, a skill that proved useful many years later when my daughter played high school softball.

My husband and I went to the US Open a couple times, once at Pebble Beach and once at Olympic in San Francisco. Both times were amazing! We saw Tiger and Dustin Johnson both melt down on the third whole at Pebble. Phil Mickelson walked just a few feet past us at the same hole and was so gracious to the fans.


My husband took me out to coffee this morning! My first fun outing since surgery. I certainly don't count the PT appointment as fun :snork:. We took our dog, who loves riding in the back with the top down and going anywhere with us.

[Bonesmart.org] One Year Update: problems cycling

I'm home, knee up and icing, and watching golf.
 
They did, but Melancon thought he was being traded in the off season, he said his goodbyes to everyone on October. He's a great guy, but his contract is up after this season so no one in Pittsburgh thought he'd be here long term. Just wish Cutch could get back on track, he's in a real slump.
 
Julie, I just finished watching golf too on my iPad. A couple of years ago the whole family won tickets to the Masters and then it got rained out just when we got inside. They gave us tickets to go the following year. What fun! I love your dog! S/he is such a cutie.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom