TKR One Year Update: problems cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh thank you for you photos. They make me so thankful for being alive! I've been to the Grand Canyon twice, but there's so much more to see and do in this wonderful world of ours. To have pain free, non-arthritic knees will allow us to go and do the things that we've had to put off because of our knees. It might take another year, but I'm still young enough to be able to do these things in the future with my brand new knees!
 
@sistersinhim - you're welcome. Photography is a hobby and I love taking photos of our beautiful world. You absolutely are young enough!!! I posted those as inspiration for things I've done and can't wait to do again—this time without limiting pain. Hiking to see the arch hurt a ton, but I didn't want to give up.

I do hope you get out and explore what interests you! Go for it!!!

My mother-in-law is an inspiration to me. They went to Paris when she was 80. Now that she's in her 90's, she's kicking bum playing ping-pong at their retirement community. Love her.

I want to be active for the rest of my life. This TKR journey is a step towards that goal. Some pain and tears now will get us there.
 
You take very beautiful pictures. Where was the one with your dog by the water? Was that the pacific?

I'm glad that you can see some improvements. In the beginning they seem to be pretty small steps but soon they will start to become bigger and bigger steps and you will be out hiking again.
 
Wait! What? You had your knee replaced already! I go on vacation and come back to ask how your appt. went with the new doctor and I see this thread! lol! Wow!!! I didn't read but a bit on your first page before posting so I hope you are doing well. I'm very, very happy to see you had the surgery - wonderful news! Hopefully the Giants will continue their winning ways to give you some good baseball to watch the next few months...lol!

I'm so happy for you - I'll try to catch up on your posts so I can see how it all went. He must be a great surgeon as you said people fly in to have their knees replaced by him. I'm about at that point with no luck finding a good doctor yet - I may fly in myself - lol! Congrats on the new knee!! :) :) :)
 
I saw you mention Bodega Bay. I grew up in Santa Rosa. Do you live in Northern California?

Im really looking forward to walking my dog, riding my bike and walking on the beach. Here's a picture I took of my happy place.
[Bonesmart.org] One Year Update: problems cycling



Diane
RTKR 7/12/16
 
@newlybionic - thanks so much. The really talented photographer in the family is my daughter. She's won first places twice at the state fair and is making a go of becoming a professional photographer. That photo is of Dillon Beach, which is north of San Francisco.

@dnslbrg - I love Bodega Bay! We went there for an anniversary celebration of the movie, "The Birds," and it was great fun. I live in Sacramento, in Northern California. We're between San Francisco and Lake Tahoe.

That's a beautiful beach! That looks similar to our beaches in Southern California, one of the reasons my daughter moved there (and the boyfriend, of course :snork:). Is that in Florida? Looks like a perfect place to ride a bike and walk a dog. I hope you get there soon. Hey! You had your surgery the same day as I did! I hope you're doing well.

@selketine - That's what happens when you go have fun :rotfl:! He said I needed surgery and the scheduler said they had an opening due to a cancellation. Boom! Here we are. But the Giants! Did they loose their mojo or what??? :tantrum: My hubby is a born and raised Red Sox fan, so he's had some fun the past two days. I also love the Sox, so it was weird to cheer against them. Ha!


I remembered something my OS said: I had a lot of damage behind my kneecaps, so my TKR is definitely related to the knee problems I've my whole life. If I see my PCP again, I'm definitely going to let him know. :nah:

My knee hurt a lot again last night, more than yesterday, but it is an up and down recovery from what I've read. Again, sooooooo glad I found this forum because it has prepared me for this adventure.

I realized I hadn't been outside since coming home from the hospital so I walked out to the front porch. Since my knee was already hurting, I knew I was going to pay for it and that hallway seemed to go on forever, but it felt great to be outside for a few seconds.

I hope you are all doing well today!:loveshwr:
 
I'm doing about the same today, so no complaints—other than the Giants forgetting how to play baseball!!! Seriously, throw strikes :headbang:!

I had one of my best friends stop by. She brought cards and flowers from work and that was a great highlight in my day.

Question! I've been sleeping with my legs elevated on the foam and pillow setup. Is that necessary? Or how long should I do that? Would a couple pillows be OK? I find it uncomfortable, but will suck it up if it's good to do.

I'm icing all night and will continue to do it because it helps the pain and my sweet hubby swaps the ice out for me :).

Thanks!
 
I called my OS last week, they said I didn't have to ice or elevate at bedtime unless I felt I needed it, maybe that's one of the reasons I'm able to sleep. I usually ice in the evening until I go to bed.
 
I don't think they've forgotten how to play baseball, they just need some better pitching. Maybe a trade or two is needed here. Glad you're doing okay. I ice some nights still, but not every night, and still use pillows as needed. I do whatever is most comfortable and doesn't add to the swelling and/or pain.
 
Sounds good, thanks! I'll try a couple pillows and leave the big foam thingee on the couch. It should be more comfortable.

@lovetocookandsew - at least they hit last night, but the pitching has been a problem. I feel for Cain, he's been awesome, but I don't see it now. Suarez has been doing well, but wow! Not last night.
 
Good afternoon!

I used a couple pillows last night instead of the foam thingee and two pillows. I'm careful to not leave my leg in an upside down "v" and kept my feet up as well. I had that drilled into me after my meniscus surgery in December.

Anyhoo...the weirdest thing happened. I had my legs slightly elevated and my husband pulled up the covers and then I felt incredibly anxious! I'm guessing it was because my legs were in a more normal position, but I still couldn't move like I usually do. I had to remove one of the covers because the weight of the blanket was causing my knee to hurt. Then I felt better physically and mentally. Weird.

I cannnnnnnnnnot wait until I can sleep on my side, but it hurts way too much on the inside part of my knee to even think about it.

My knee is still very swollen and painful. At this moment, it's not bad because I'm on the couch elevating and icing. But whenever I move my leg off the couch or "walk," it hurts a lot. I feel it the most on the inside my of knee. I'm sure this is normal, but there's a part of me that worries because I'm still shuffling on the walker because I can't put too much weight on my leg.

I hope you're all doing well!
 
The inside of my knee hurts the worst, also. I'm going to ask my OS why there. I also have burning there. Of course, everything is much better than it was a month ago, where you are now, so better is coming for you, too.
 
Hi there, @LoveGiants! I am having some of the same issues as you. I would love to sleep on my side, but it is impossible! I, too, am having much pain: groin muscles, incision burning, ligaments popping, electric shooting up both sides of the knee... My right one is the stronger one as I can still barely raise the left one. I am in a good rehab center and they are all so nice! Sometimes they drive me too hard in PT but I don't have the courage to tell them. I think they knew today, tho, when I broke down and bawled in front of everyone. How embarrassing! (They were even gentle and encouraging then.) Will be discussing my meds with the OS. next week. Glad to here you are chipper! I will be ok, I just don't tolerate pain well. My daughter painted a canvas for me yesterday with the mantra Just keep swimming...! [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
 
@Barnmom22 is also having sleep issues right now. Not a lot to make it better, just time. Some people find they can sleep better while icing through the night. I never thought of it myself.
 
@sistersinhim - thank you for the encouragement :)

@34120 - I feel what must be ligaments, too. It's something, anyways! I can't lift it all! It's like dead weight, but I know that'll come around. Don't let them push you too hard in PT!!! Tell them that they aren't to force your legs to do anything. Be bold and don't worry about hurting their feelings. I'm so sorry you broke down in tears. Don't worry about it.

My OS and the surgical PA both said, "don't let PT touch you!"

@lovetocookandsew - thanks for the encouragement, it does help! Let's hope they do! Go MadBum!!!

@KarriB - I do have the ice machine going all night and it does help a lot! My knee burns and hurts without it.
 
Hello! Happy Saturday :)!

I'm doing much better today, which is wonderful! When going to bed last night, I let my leg rest flat without any support. It felt stretched and slightly sore at the bottom of my knee, but overall not to bad. I put one pillow lengthwise under it to sleep and that worked well. I also stretched out my medicine two at five hours so only had one alarm in the middle of the night. I woke up sore, but that's typical.

My knee has been much less painful today. I tried cutting my medications back to one every three to four hours and it's been fine. I might try one every three and walking a bit more. I'll take a couple before bed, tho. I want to take just enough. My husband picked up a new prescription, so it's nice to have some on hand.

I have walked a little more around the house and will do the same tomorrow. its stil swollen and sore, so I'm elevating and icing most of the time.
 
Experimenting is helpful and listening to our bodies. I'm glad you had a much better day and night, hoping it continues!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom