TKR One Year Update: problems cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Julie, I absolutely LOVE YOUR PUP-!!! What a happy-happy face!!

I'm so sorry you had such a bad night last night. Let me commend you on how you managed your thoughts regarding it, I loved this;

I told my husband between tears that I'm looking forward to walking with the DoodleButt on Bodega Bay...hiking in Colorado...riding around the lake... Anything to remind me of why I did this :). I'm not doubting at all, but there are times when it helps to look ahead at what I'll be able to do.

And most of us shed deep tears in the early days of our recovery we didn't realize we even had! They are a release and help! If the pain continues, you might want to give your OS office a call, they'll possibly want to up your pain meds. Which in my opinion is fine as early as you are in recovery. I promise you it will improve! Keep us posted.

Now if you don't mind.. I need to address @uva55, Clara in your thread that seems to be where we all want to hang out of late- LOL!!

@Suz and @dianehelen I feel so out of the loop, I'm on a mission now, hahaha

Oh Honey- it doesn't matter how far out of the corral you are- just so you make your way quickly to the greener pastures, history & love of the Hylander's!

I will say this. I have watched allot of movies & series over my years but none have moved me as Outlander has. It will take you to the far corners of passion & anguish. I may have said this in a previous post and if so I apologize. But there were nights in my 2nd & 3rd wks post op where I was so bored- so uncomfortable- and all I had to do was watch the next episode of Outlander! Like Diane- I plowed right through the two seasons, lol! And there are some deep plots that require you undivided attention!

Some scenes will totally break your heart. But then there are other scenes that will melt your heart! It's just GOOD stuff! You can go to starz.com and watch the first episode for free. All you need to do is verify your age because there are some scenes, well, you'll see. LOL!

I also know that through Amazon you can sign up to Starz for $8.99 a month and watch any of their series, to include Outlander. It's cheaper than a coffee at Starbucks and SO much better!!

Here's the theme song.. and another that is so beautiful. Just a taste of the quality of music in the series~ the soundtrack is SO beautiful!





My favorite Outlander Men!

[Bonesmart.org] One Year Update: problems cycling [Bonesmart.org] One Year Update: problems cycling [Bonesmart.org] One Year Update: problems cycling

And this one is for you @dianehelen!

[Bonesmart.org] One Year Update: problems cycling
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] One Year Update: problems cycling
    Screen Shot 2016-07-18 at 6.32.29 PM.png
    219.5 KB · Views: 189
Last edited by a moderator:
And this one is for you @dianehelen!


I LOVE when he calls her Sassenach,,,

I love finally meeting someone else as obsessed with this series as I was.. :) :) :)
To me too it may be the best series ever, if not it sure is in the same league as Downtoan Abbey, Game of Thrones, and The Sopranos.. But it some ways, I just got much more emotionally invested in Outlander..
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@dianehelen, That's ME! If anyone were to call out Sassenach around me I would turn and acknowledge just hoping to be transported there- haha!!

I love GOT's & Downton Abbey- but Outlander ABSORBED me! Even though there were scenes where I literally threw my hands up over my eyes and covered my ears- LOL!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Suz not to worry, I already subscribed...episode 2 down...time to put the ipad down I have to go eat dinner it's 8:45, why oh why did you and @dianehelen do this to me. I'm starting to wonder if the reason I don't want to go back to work is all these TV series I'm hooked on???:shrug:
 
  • Funny
Reactions: Suz
@LoveGiants i was keeping track of the score on my phone and saw this video on GMA this morning. Thanks for posting it! I'll probably watch it several times!
 
@uva55 hahahah Im sorry.. (hanging head in shame) :)

Are you in love yet with Jamie? if not you WILL be...

Whats for dinner? you cooking, or take out at the beach? How is the wine? :) We are back in Orlando today.. booooo, but I had some work type stuff to get done, and its time anyway.. we will be back to the beach hopefully once more before my surgery

Are you feeling better today?

@LoveGiants how are you feeling today?
 
@Suz not to worry, I already subscribed...episode 2 down...time to put the ipad down I have to go eat dinner it's 8:45, why oh why did you and @dianehelen do this to me. I'm starting to wonder if the reason I don't want to go back to work is all these TV series I'm hooked on???:shrug:

HAHA Clara.. you are SO cute! I wonder if Josephine will let us set up a Thread to discuss the Knee Health of the 18th Century Scots?- LOL!

In all seriousness, I feel like we might get sent to the corner here for highjacking Julie's thread.. LOL! We really do love you Julie and just trying to offer you another wonderful virtual land to visit while you must rest! BoneSmart Staff.. from now on I promise to remember why I'm here..

[Bonesmart.org] One Year Update: problems cycling
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello! You're all cracking me up and I don't mind. I might sign up for Starz temporarily to check it out—good tip on amazon, thanks! We have HBO Go on our appleTV for GoT.

We went to Colorado last summer for the Jeep Jamboree and I loved it! We went everywhere from Rocky Mountain National Park to Aspen to Ouray. Hiking and off-roading will get you to the most beautiful scenery! We have some large prints from our trip on the wall and they're inspiring. I'll have to post some here. It's truly heaven on earth.

My knee gets more sore as the day goes on. It's still swollen and I can't do much with it. So far it's a bit better than yesterday.

My husband is so helpful and sweet. I'm thankful for all his help and support.
 
I might sign up for Starz temporarily to check it out

HAHA, @LoveGiants, I'd love to know what you think if you do! You'll have plenty of time over the coming weeks to watch! Also, through Amazon, they offer a 7-day free trial to Starz! The first episode starts off a bit slow, in my opinion, but stay with it. In fact, enjoy it.. because when it picks up- you'll need to hang on for dear life!!

I'd LOVE to see the prints of your trip- NEAT! We have a Jeep Grand Cherokee.. I know, not the same. But I did have a black Wrangler back in the day with great big tires, LOL!

Your knee gets more sore as the day goes on because it swells when not elevated, like just for the trips to the restroom and back. Especially so at only 6-days out from surgery. The soft tissue surrounding your knee joint was, let's just say, injured during your replacement. It's going to require time, elevation and much pampering to heal. That's why aggressive PT just out from the surgery suite is so hard on us post-op. You'd think the surgeons would understand that- it's pretty simple. I thought about the soft tissue around my replacement allot during my first weeks out from surgery- because I learned here at BoneSmart it needs to heal as much as the bones that now house your baby knee!

Once the soft tissue begins to heal your swelling will become less of an issue. But like I said, it's going to take time. For me, 6wks before I noticed the swelling taking a significant turn downward.

But not to worry. It's a small price to pay for your ability to hike your beloved mountains again! On my bucket list is a many year desire to go to Red Rocks for a concert! Sarah McLachlan, Dave Matthews, Coldplay, Govt. Mule, String Cheese Incident, any of those will do, haha!!

Hey, at the very least we'll keep you entertained here in your BoneSmart thread during your recovery!

[Bonesmart.org] One Year Update: problems cycling
 
I wonder if Josephine will let us set up a Thread to discuss the Knee Health of the 18th Century Scots?- LOL!
You could always start a thread about Outlander in the Social Room and discuss it there, to your hearts' content.
That way, you won't be taking this thread off topic at all. I'm a fan, too, (read all the books) and I'd join you there.
 
@Suz - I'll check it out next week after my husband goes back to work. I'm saving the "chick flick" stuff for then. We watched some Top Gear together. I'm a car nut and love that show.

I'm not worried because my OS from my meniscus surgery explained how swelling impacts healing, and I know this surgery was much more intense. Thankfully my OS isn't a fan of PT and stressed that if I go, "don't let them touch you!" I'm focusing on getting the swelling down and ROM will follow.
 
One Week!

It's hard to believe that it was one week ago that I had my TKR! It doesn't feel a whole lot better over that week: I find it very painful to put weight on it and it's still very tight and swollen. Fewer tears were shed last night, so I'll take that as a sign of improvement :).

I'm still taking my meds by the clock and elevating and icing whenever I'm not headed to the bathroom. I'm icing it at night and during meals, too. The cold is a blessed relief from pain and it helps the swelling.

My husband is staying home with me this week and that has been soooooo helpful.

Random thoughts one week out (for anyone reading who is planning their recovery):
- The whole grain bread loaf makes perfect toast for breakfast and really helps calm the stomach from the meds.
- I don't have a big appetite (no complaints!), but it is important to eat healthily. The rotisserie chicken breast has been great to have in the fridge because it's protein that goes well in different meals and is gentle on the stomach.
- Miralax works well. I tried other brands pills laxative and stool softener, but the powdered Miralax worked the best for me. I put it in either water or a vitamin water zero during lunch. You can't taste it.
- The icing machine is awesome! I've found that a rotation of three set of ice works well. One in the machine, with the other two getting ready to go.
- Poise pads are very helpful so I don't have to stress about getting to the bathroom quickly. I don't get *anywhere* quickly right now :snork:

Edit to add a couple more I just thought of:
- A walker bag is soooooo handy! I have put my laptop, iPad, phone, glasses, vitamins, etc. in here. @lovetocookandsew recommended this bag and it's perfect: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WLF6FBA?tag=ate362da-20
- I saw a leg-lifter with a strap for the foot. I've found that it feels better if I lift my leg by supporting it under the calf. I use a cheap scarf that's around 10" wide. It adds nice support and is comfortable enough to leave under my leg while I sleep.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Day Nine: My knee is feeling better, at least I didn't have tears of pain and agony last night :yes:. It still hurts, but with medication, it feels like a 3 instead of the 5–8 it has been the past few days. I'll take that! I'm still elevating and icing all the time.

@Suz said she'd like to see some photos from Colorado, so I thought I'd post some photos that are my inspiration for getting well and active again.

Ophir Pass, Colorado. You can only get here by off-road vehicle.
[Bonesmart.org] One Year Update: problems cycling

Imogine Pass, Colorado, 13,200 feet. You can only get here by off-road vehicle.
[Bonesmart.org] One Year Update: problems cycling

Delicate Arch, Utah. Quite a hike to get here! I can't wait to hike again.
[Bonesmart.org] One Year Update: problems cycling

One of my other loves is cars and driving. I tore my meniscus when I was running to my car to get on the track at the Laguna Seca Raceway for the beginner's track session. I hope to get to that again! My husband and I like to find some twisty roads and let it go. I call it three pedal therapy :snork:.
[Bonesmart.org] One Year Update: problems cycling

I also can't wait to walk with my hubby and dog. We like to go to a dog-friendly private beach that is very long. It's great to walk the whole thing. It'll be fun to do again!
[Bonesmart.org] One Year Update: problems cycling

Thanks for letting me share my inspiration! It's nice to think of these things while being on my bum on the couch, with my leg up. again :)

Here's to getting back on our feet :cheers:!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom