TKR One Year Update: problems cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
So sorry you're hurting so much. I hope you're taking all your pain meds on schedule and resting, elevating and icing a lot. Loss of appetite is normal, so eating at all is a good thing. When I saw my OS last week, that was one of the things he asked me, as he knew I hadn't been eating at all when I saw him for my two week post-op visit. So, you're doing a lot better than I was......:thumb: Take care and take it easy. Kim

I did tweak it somehow—its more swollen and painful, but doing better than last night. Yesterday was a day! I had to deal with car insurance and body shop (but hubby did most of that), medical insurance follow-up, and a call from work (accounting, not my specific job, thankfully). It made me tired.

I am taking my meds 2 every 4 hours with my alarm set for the night doses.

TMI: Poop fairy did arrive, but I ordered some Miralax powder to keep things on tracks per @KarriB's idea. Yay for amazon same-day delivery. The stool softener and duralax pills did t work very well.
/TMI

We froze some vitamin water bottles to use in the icing machine and they get the water colder than the blue freezer packs. :thumb:

I was feeling frustrated because the sofa was directly across from the TV and it was hard to watch. My hubby re-arranged the living room so the sofa is on a different wall and it's much easier to see while laying down. Now if the Giants will give me something worth watching! I have the Red Sox and Yankees on now.

@LFitz - I read on someone else's recovery thread that they had an accident so I bought some poise pads, to buy me some time. I'm moving quite slowly! I figured that I can keep extras for the next time we go off-roading and I have to wait for a bush :rotfl:.

@kneeper - exactly!
 
I did the poise pads, too for a couple of weeks, just in case. Only one time did they serve me, but I was so glad it was there to catch it!
 
@dianehelen - this is the ice machine I have: broken link removed: https://www.jointhealing.com/product412.html

The vitamin water bottles fit it well and work better than other things we've tried.

It's amazing how we can sleep during the day. My hubby set up the room so I could watch baseball (and The Tour, The Open, Olympics...) and I slept through most of the Sox game! :heehee:
 
The Breg one you have the link for is a bit larger than the others and will stay cold easily for 8-10 hours at a time. I used three frozen water bottles, 2 blue bricks, a bit of ice water and then two large glasses of ice.
 
@LoveGiants
Hehe you are a sports fan I see. Im more into historical type (real or fake) dramas, Reign, Outlander, Downton Abbey, Game of Thrones, Vikings, etc...

I am a big sports fan, but also love history and historical dramas. I'm fascinated by the WWII era and any spy story. I love to read historical fiction, too. "War and Rememberance" is one of my very favorite books.

I have 1½ seasons of Downton Abbey to finish. We got busy and didn't finish, but I saved them all on the DVR. We're on season 3 of GoT. We took a break from it when our daughter moved back home, but now that she's off to Southern California, we'll watch it again. It's a little violent, but the story and setting is interesting. I also *love* Lord of the Rings and will probably watch all the director's cuts while recovering.
 
I'm fascinated by the WWII era a

20th century european history was my masters thesis. Emphasis on cause & effect of WWI/II which was really the same war in 2 parts hehe. Have you seen/heard about Outlander. Has beginnings just post WWII England/Scotland but really a historical based fantasy that takes us back to 18th century England/Scotland. I got so sucked into that so fast I ran thru 26.5 hours in about a week.
 
Happy Sunday!

Day Six (if you count surgery day as day 1)!

The pain fluctuates between 3 and 6. It hurts quite a bit when I get up and move. I'm still taking my meds as prescribed and elevating and icing. However, first thing in the morning I do sit up on the couch to have some toast and coffee. It's hard to be on my back all night as I prefer to sleep on my stomach or side, and I can't go right to being on my back again when I get up.

My knee is very swollen and feels tight. The incision looks good—no signs of redness or seeping. I tried to bend and extend it during lunch and I would guess it's about what it was in the group PT class on Wednesday (60/10).

I have an appetite, which is good since the body needs nutrients to heal. I've been having whole grain toast for breakfast and today had a kale, cabbage, and chicken breast salad for lunch. I've been trying to be good. I'm really looking forward to being active again.

I'm sure if feel better if the Giants would get their act together :hairpulling:

I hope everyone else is doing well!
 
20th century european history was my masters thesis. Emphasis on cause & effect of WWI/II which was really the same war in 2 parts hehe. Have you seen/heard about Outlander. Has beginnings just post WWII England/Scotland but really a historical based fantasy that takes us back to 18th century England/Scotland. I got so sucked into that so fast I ran thru 26.5 hours in about a week.

I didn't do a theses, but always thought that, too.

I'll definitely look that up because it sounds interesting. Thanks for the recommendation!
 
Here is the info on Outlander, it's on Starz but.. Its "around" if you know where to look, and being a fellow techette I bet you would get my drift

It roughly has the historical sad failure story of the Scots(the jacobites) trying to reclaim the English throne for the exiled catholic king james , after the protestant king george took power. The star Scot, is a GORGEOS Sam Heughan...playing the role of Jamie Fraser. I could look at him in his kilt all day :roseshwr:

After serving as a British Army nurse in World War II, Claire Randall is enjoying a second honeymoon in Scotland with husband Frank, an MI6 officer looking forward to a new career as an Oxford historian. Suddenly, Claire is transported to 1743 and into a mysterious world where her freedom and life are threatened. To survive, she marries Jamie Fraser, a strapping Scots warrior with a complicated past and a disarming sense of humor. A passionate relationship ensues, and Claire is caught between two vastly different men in two inharmonious lives. "
 
Have you seen/heard about Outlander. Has beginnings just post WWII England/Scotland but really a historical based fantasy that takes us back to 18th century England/Scotland. I got so sucked into that so fast I ran thru 26.5 hours in about a week.

I don't qualify as a History Buff but I started watching Outlander just before my surgery and it sure did suck me in as well Diane! The best series I have ever watched. The cast is awesome, their costumes are so authentic and well, when watching an episode of Outlander I forgot all about my recovering knee-!! It's intense and left me in tears on numerous occasions. I LOVE it and can't wait for Season 3 begins to see where we're going next and with whom! I can't say too much here Diane.. don't want to give out a spoiler! But yeah, great series to be sure. Even the evil, really-really bad Redcoat Captain Jonathan "Black Jack" Randall will lure you into his character if not careful- haha!

Julie, it sounds like your recovery is coming right along! The tightness and other symptoms you mention are as I remember 1wk into my recovery. Just keep that knee under ice, those meds absolutely on schedule and find the place you are most comfortable to elevate and rest. For me it was our recliner. I lived in it for the first 6wks. I missed sleeping on my side SO much but my sleep aide helped me through it. You will get back on your side again, for me it was at about 6wks.

Good news your incision looks good! Your recovery is hopefully all UP from here!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Suz - Thanks for the encouragement! I'm living on the sofa because we don't have recliners. I have a foam wedge and two pillows to keep this puppy elevated and the ice machine is cranking :).
 
@Suz didn't you just LOVE LOVE LOVE the 90 minute season 2 finale?

And , I know I'm a happily married woman, but oh dear, Jamie Fraser, be still my heart.

[Bonesmart.org] One Year Update: problems cycling
 
Jamie Fraser, be still my heart.

I KNOW THAT'S RIGHT, LOL-!! I was so upset most of the season finale- feeling like I hadn't had the closure I needed. But AH, the last 2 minutes was SO AWESOME!!! I can't say more here- but, yes, I absolutely LOVED the season finale! I've got to watch it again though to get some of the historical details down. And I've a strong hope Fergus will reappear as well- LOL!

Sorry if I derailed your recovery thread Julie- but this is such a great series to watch during your recovery!! I want to move to Scotland now-!!
 
OK girls, I'm going to have to check out this series, and that hunk! I'm still stuck in my recliner in front of the TV many hours a day. This sounds like something new and good that I'd enjoy. I'll have to look for reruns so I can start from the beginning.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom