Guest viewing is limited

TKR One Year Update: problems cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like you have the hang of this. I also bought some loose Capri pants with pockets so I can have my cell phone with me at all times.
 
Did you buy a machine? Which one did you get? Did your ins cover any of it?

Hi Dianne, I did for my meniscus surgery in December and I had it covered under medical reimbursement. It's a Kodiak and I love it—it has a quiet hum and is comfortable.

I bought eight freezer packs (hard blue plastic sides) and have four in the machine and four in the freezer. I'm not convinced they are keeping it cold enough, tho. My husband has been supplementing the packs with ice cubes. I like having the machine because it will keep cold on my leg for hours at a time. I prefer it to ice packs.

I might experiment with water bottles.
 
I use a combo of the blue boxes, ice bottles and some ice cubes to keep my ice machine humming all night long.

I'm actually using some men's shorts that are very loose and cover my knee a bit so when I go for a walk when it is really hot out no one is staring at my knee. I find that I still that material touching my knee seems to bother me. It's more of an itch than anything. I use a kitchen towel over my knee with my ice machine.
 
I finally called the PT back about cancelling today's appointment and scheduling my staple removal. In their voice mail back to me, the woman said that "the therapist has some concerns..."

Oh, brother.

When I spoke to her she said, "we can't take the staples out without evaluating you." Seriously?

I said, "I guess you'll have to see me anyways."

So, I have an appointment on the 25th for staple removal :)

My husband is dropping my car off at the body shop and I can't go anywhere until we get it back. There's no way I'm getting this knee in or out of his lifted Jeep :heehee:.
 
So good news! The Pirates are at the Washington Nationals and I'll be in Delaware. Pretty sure the games will be televised in Delaware!
 
@KarriB - that IS good news! I might turn the Cubs game on, then the Red Sox, then the Giants :). I can OD on baseball. hehheheeeee
 
For me it's football. Good for you getting your appt for the staple removal - not sure why PT would insist on evaluating you before the staple removal.
 
I think it's different everywhere. A nurse in the OS office took my staples out when I went in for my 2 week check.
I just love Pittsburgh sports, Steelers, Penguins, Pirates, but I've traveled all over the country to watch college soccer and the Women's National Team. The young lady in my avatar played 4 years of college soccer and now coaches at the HS where she teaches.
 
I'm do glad Giants baseball is back tonight! I don't think I could have stood it for much longer with no baseball. Way to not let PT push you around.
 
They would probably get in trouble if they did not attempt to evaluate you. But I'm surprised that's not home PT. I had home PT and they decided when to "release" me for outpatient PT. But I don't think it had anything to do with the staple removal. Unless it's just a time line thing...:scratch:
The PA took out my staples.
 
In this medical group, the PTs are trained in would care and staple removal. I was told that I could go to my PCP for removal, but that is soooooooooooo not going to happen.

I'm feeling better today. I definitely know my knee is there and am taking my pain meds 2 every 4 hours and am elevating and icing, but I do feel better. My husband says I'm looking better and moving more confidently.

Go Giants!
 
My hospital did bath in a bag for patients. They were wonderful! When I was ready to bathe the aides would prepare a Baggie full of warm soapy water and wash cloths along with another with just warm water and wash cloths for rinsing off. I really missed these when I came home and couldn't shower for a month.
 
The afternoon was more difficult.

I was using my scarf to get my leg up on the pillows and it hurt quite a bit. I don't know what I did, but ouch. It's been hurting more all afternoon. It doesn't take much to crank up the pain, eh?

TMI warning: I'm finding myself constipated despite taking stool softeners then laxatives. My husband just ran to the store for prune juice. I hope that helps.
/TMI

It's nice to have baseball on!

Best news today that makes everything ok is that one of my dearest friend's husband had prostate cancer surgery and it was 100% successful and he's cancer free. Praise God.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
That's wonderful news for your friend!

Nuts helped my dad after his THR (he fell and broke his hip last fall). I ate apples, salads, but one dose of Miralax did it for me. Are you drinking lots of water. After the infection surgery I was on so many antibiotics I stopped the softeners and laxatives. I had just the opposite problem a month later!
 
@KarriB - I'm so happy for my friend. God used her and her husband to help me when I was at the roughest point in my life and they mean the world to me. I'm so happy.

I've been eating fruits and veggies and chicken, but not too much of anything. I've been drinking water, but probably not enough because getting to the bathroom is quite the marathon! I increased my fluid intake this afternoon and will just have to do the marathon :snork:. It's been hurting like crazy, hoping tomorrow is a better day.
 
So sorry you're hurting so much. I hope you're taking all your pain meds on schedule and resting, elevating and icing a lot. Loss of appetite is normal, so eating at all is a good thing. When I saw my OS last week, that was one of the things he asked me, as he knew I hadn't been eating at all when I saw him for my two week post-op visit. So, you're doing a lot better than I was......:thumb: Take care and take it easy. Kim
 
After my surgery I was so thirsty I drank a ton of water which meant a lot of trips to the bathroom. I decided to start going to the bathroom before I got the urge because If I waited it was too stressful trying to make it time :-)


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
think of the "marathon" to the bathroom as PT. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom