TKR One Year Update: problems cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
The nurse thought I might have to stay another night if the dizziness and low blood pressure persisted, but thankfully it got better.

The PT dude said they had a patient fly home on day two and another riding his bike after three weeks. I just don't need to hear that. But I ended up tuning him out anyways.

No baseball until Friday! Ugh.

Thanks so much, @robertapi!
 
I know! No games till Friday, then I'm leaving for vacation where Pirate games aren't televised. I'll have to use the Internet. Really hope you can sleep tonight!
 
I'm glad you are home and comfortable. Your OS and PA seem to be very enlightened.
 
Lying here on the couch and my knee started hurting like crazy. Wow. Just moving wand getting up causes pain. I do have it elevated and the icing machine going. And alarm set for the middle of the night pain meds.

@KarriB - I hope you have a wonderful vacation!
 
I'm glad you are home...now is time to heal at your own pace, things will happen when they are supposed to!!

I only hope that all of these misinformed individuals that have no clue what we are going through but are always willing to tell us how quickly we should be doing certain activities will one day get to eat their words...hopefully karma is taking down names:tantrum:
 
Thank goodness for the icing machine. At two days I was using it almost round the clock. Now at two weeks, it's still my most reliable pain reducing friend
 
I'm going to have the ice machine going at night, too.

The PT was the only downer of the whole experience. Seriously you want me to lift my leg? Dude. No. He wasn't pushy, but had that typical PT attitude. I'll see them in two weeks for staple removal.
 
The straight leg lifts? They had me trying that everyday in transition care. I cried out of frustration, not pain. Then the pt decided to lift my leg straight up herself to remind my muscles of what to do. It didn't hurt I was just so afraid she'd drop it! Eventually I started practicing straight leg lifts using my leg lifter.
 
Julie sounds like everything is off to a great start. Congrats!
 
The PT didn't help getting my leg on the bed, I guess to see what I would/could do. It was a long morning and I was over it :)

So day 3! I took my pain meds on time during the night. I didn't need the alarm for the 1:30 am dose because my knee let me know! I did take a sleeping pill (the PM in Tylenol PM, so no Tylenol) and that helped.

I got up and watched The Tour and had some toast. I learned after my last surgery that whole grain bread makes a perfect recovery toast. I took a shower and that felt awesome:happydance:. The shower chair was incredibly helpful. My husband put our cooler in the shower to use as a platform for shampoo & stuff. Brilliant! I didn't have to get up at all.

I changed the dressing per PT's instructions and have been elevating and icing and watching The Open (golf).

Honestly, the knee is a painful thing right now and there's no strength at all. But that's to be expected. The pain meds help and thankfully haven't made me sick other than an occasional queasiness, but crackers help.
 
Glad things are moving along. I didn't get to take a shower for a while, so am glad you got to already. Keep us posted.
 
The hospital scheduled me for PT tomorrow and I cancelled it this morning. I'm sooooooooooooo not going to go to Midtown to go to PT the first week. It's enough getting up and going to the bathroom :heehee:.
 
Midtown to go to PT the first week


Ha! I think you are gonna be too "busy" with previous engagements, to go to midtown pt for many more times hehe.

Overall sounds like you are doing quite well. Keep up the healing... You are helping to inspire us getting ready to face the adventure
 
Good job protecting yourself. You've already had a really busy few days, and the last thing you need right now is to pack up and go to PT. I'm surprised they aren't sending one to your home for a while anyway. But, you don't need PT anyway, at most just some ankle pumps and heel slides, and then normal activity will kick in after a bit and that's all you really need. Right now you need to rest, elevate and :ice::ice::ice:!!!!!!!! I was still in the hospital on day two, and you're already home, which is exercise enough, IMHO. :chillpill::sleep::elevate::ice:
 
It sounds like you are doing really well overall. I am glad for you. I guess some pain is to be expected. I hope you can keep it to a minimum.
 
Yep, ankle pumps and a few heel slides are all you need. If you want to practice straight leg raises use your scarf as well as getting the leg in and out of bed. I am surprised too that someone isn't coming in for pt at this point. Traveling is the last thing you want to do right now.
 
Going to the bathroom is like a marathon, so I can't imagine going anywhere right now, especially PT.

Some random thoughts:
- There's a thread about what to pack to the hospital and I packed PJs (capris and shirt set), sports bra, and lightweight robe. I didn't need the robe and changed into the PJs and sports bra the next morning. I wanted to put the bra on the night before, but was still hooked up to the IV. I wore the hospital gown overnight and it was fine. I did bring some of the bath wipes and used them in the bathroom in the morning.
- I didn't like earplugs, but have a white noise app and that was helpful.
- Regarding PJs: I bought four PJ bottoms that are capri-length and wide-legged. These have been great! Super comfy to rest and sleep and provide a barrier for the ice machine. I wear them with an oversized t-shirt.
- We have hardwood and stone floors. I was wondering how the thresholds between the surfaces would interfere with the walker and they're no problem if you look out for them.
- We kept the large area rugs in place and they've been fine with the walker. We did remove the area rugs in e hallway and I'm glad we did as they would have been more difficult to maneuver around.
- The couch was a little low for getting in and out of comfortably, so my husband put one our camping mattresses under the cushions. This added a few inches and is a *big* help.
 
You are doing very well. Your husband has come up with some very handy ideas to help you out. I hope your recovery continues to progress as well as it has so far.:flwrysmile:
 
Sounds like things are going very well on the home front! Keep up the good work and keep total control of your PT!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom