TKR One Year Post Surgery

5 months today "wow" has time flown, on the whole new knee is behaving and mostly pain free, it still gets stiff if I stay in one position to long ( it does like to be moved. ) and if I over do things then I'm quickly reminded :)
My only form of exercise is ADL, walking the dogs for 60 minutes daily and gardening.
I don't worry as much about aches /pains as from what I've learnt from BoneSmart it's all normal in this yearly process. Weather has helped enormously today is 28 degrees (too hot for March) but I'm enjoying it and so are my bones.
I have final appointment with the surgeon in April (6months)
My only gripe is my good knee is now playing up which is slightly concerning as would prefer not too have another surgery for the time being....
Hope my posts are helpful to others xxx

My only gripe is my good knee is now playing up which is slightly concerning as would prefer not too have another surgery for the time being....
Whenever my non operated knee speaks to me I tell it: “You’re fine. Look what happened to the other one!” :heehee:

Hope my posts are helpful to others xxx
Your posts are very helpful, and I love how you usually end with xxx!

My only gripe is my good knee is now playing up which is slightly concerning as would prefer not too have another surgery for the time being.
My old knee acted up, too when the new one was recovering. With the left one having to take on most of my weight, it aggravated it. Once my new knee started taking on more responsibility the old one started hurting less. I pray yours does the same thing.

So is mine!! Although the old one is a TKR one as well.
Sara, it's remarkable that our recovery journeys match each other, other than I have no clicking.
Onwards and upwards!

@Tykey you were my inspiration, your great positive Yorkshire sence of humour kept the early days when my pain was unbearable at times more manageable and highly amusing.
Although we have never met I feel as though we are friends already - keep posting from time to time xx

I think my good non operated knee is just jealous of all the tlc and attention the new one is getting - I'll just have to remember to massage it in Bio oil occasionally too :) xxx

Last edited:
Last couple of nights have been quite disturbing I have developed RLS my legs just as I'm about to fall asleep have a total mind of their own, no pain just the annoying need to move which in turn disturbs my DH whom tells me to stop twitching... hence here I am at almost 2am (European time) wide awake sitting in the lounge :tiredwheel: is there any vitamins I should be taking, - I have increased my walking as we live in the countryside so are able to venture outdoors without the risk of contamination/contaminating anyone with covid19.
Could this be the cause or should I be exercising more.

On the whole my knee is doing exceptionally well for 5.5 months, don't really notice it much during the day, swelling & tight band feeling almost non existent- click is still present when I bend or use the stairs but not nearly as bad as before.

Now if I could just get some peaceful sleep .....:bored::angel:
Stay safe everyone xxx

Hi Sara, just as soon as we think we are out of the woods, summat else appears.
Have no fear, this too will pass.
As you know, I've been proper poorly with flu, and laid up for 3 weeks or so.
At least now, I'm beginning to eat (and keep it), I've even been out today for a short walk.
The biggest shame is that I missed the "play your ukulele naked" day. At least Mrs Tykey was pleased

Any road up, the enforced rest has improved both my knees, less stiff and painful! There is a message in there

So keep on keeping on, and all will come right

I also have restless legs after a hip arthroscopy 2 months ago, but mine is all over my body and has been awful for most of my 2 months recovery-I’m actually taking a minimal dose of Tramadol each night and it definitely helps. Also I’ve head a strong iron supplement helps too...

:wave:6 months post op today it's certainly gone fast, initially a rollercoaster of emotions/pain swelling etc etc but somewhere between 5 & 6 months Mrs. Knee decided to calm down probably as I have come to my senses and no longer insist on trying to run before it's time to learn to walk. After following loads of sensible advice on this forum I've managed to reduce the swelling and with it the tight band feeling has gone, my scar is fading nicely (photo below ) however I do daily rub bio oil onto it, maybe it's the massage effect but also it keeps it hydrated and soft.
I've no idea what my Rom or extension are but as I'm feeling so much better than pre op days it doesn't bother me I know it will improve with time.
The click is still present only in certain movements seems to be fading and not so noticeable. Zingers are probably my biggest reminder, gee it sure feels like someone takes a hammer to my knee thankfully it only now and then :flabber:
Stay safe everyone and a very Happy Easter to all :loveshwr:

Attachments

• 20200211_083502.jpg
    20200211_083502.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 337
Happy half birthday to knee
Happy half birthday to knee
Happy half birthday dear knee
Happy half birthday to knee.

Will you allow me one little gloat?

"Told you so!!!"

Enjoy your Easter

How well you are doing for 6 months and your scar is almost gone! Finding out the Bonesmart way works is a real pain and swelling reducer and such a help in this recovery!

@Tykey - yep you have been right all through my recovery and thanks to you I have kept such an upbeat attitude- so please gloat away :heehee: xx

@Tykey after eating too many Easter eggs my DH suggested we went on a small country walk ....not joking 8kms later and over 13000 steps we got home - Mrs. Knee didn't complain once ...now the rest of me well.....I ache all over :groan::holysheep: I'm sure i will sleep well tonight :sleeep:

Fantastic news! I've found that my limit isn't governed by my knee, but my general fitness.
I must try harder, you are now inspiring me

:dogwalk:I'll send my DH your way he is dead set on getting me fit haha - amazing how unfit you become so quickly, jolly feeling my knees and everything else this morning but positive I can do this, also a good way to occupy oneself during this virus.
@Tykey get your dogs and your trainers ...you can do this xx

I realised how long I've been inactive. It's been something like 3 1/2 years, with cancer treatment, then my knee collapsed, then my tkr. Plus I'm now 3 1/2 years older than I was
But I'm really going to push on now.

Now where did I put the dog leads? They will have to walk faster this morning!!!

:hairpulling: Advice needed any suggestion for a very itchy knee - like all oddities in this recovery I'm assuming this is normal, the numbness seems to be wearing off but this evening my knee has become incredibly itchy.. anyone experienced similar and if so any fast remedy out there this will drive me nuts lol :gaah:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
kelseydee