Guest viewing is limited

TKR One year kneeversary

Hooray for the shore! We didn't book anything either because of 1) our elderly FIL with dementia, and 2) whether I would be able to handle the walking involved. Turns out I could have done all right, I think, but we still have the other issue. There's nothing quite like a few days or a week at the shore! I imagine you relaxing on a porch, or maybe a chair on the beach. Watch out for the sand. Walking on it was challenging on arthritic knees. Hope it's easier now.
 
@keefsmom, sounds like you've got a great plan ! I grew up in Jersey and spent many a time enjoying the beaches there ! Where will you be staying ? Even with my bad knees, I could still body surf. When my kids were little and my Dad was still alive, we summered every 2 years for a month at the shore with my Dad, with family and friends coming to visit - talking, laughing,cooking, beaching - wonderful times. I can feel the sand between my toes just talking about it! Hmmmm, clam bakes, corn on the cob,.....
Anyway, enjoy !!!
 
@nensi we go to ocean city NJ I grew up about 30 minutes from there all of my family still in the general vicinity so it's a nice way to see everyone. Our kids loved it growing upq, boardwalk rides, custard and Mini golf for days! @SusieShoes we will be about 3 blocks from the beach but DH says he will drive me down anyway so I can save my knees for the trek across the soft sand. I generally stay off beach from 10 to 2, a lifetime of sunburns hasn't left my skin is very good condition but I think I'll be adding an umbrella this year since I'm more pale than usual and then there's that scar!
 
That's my idea of heaven, especially with the umbrella! Enjoy every moment!:happydance:
 
That sounds wonderful, just what the Bonesmarties ordered!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Be sure to put some protection on that scar. Maybe some zinc oxide?
 
You reminded me of my incision frustration. I walked away with an incision held together with steri strips. Pretty normal. My surgery was done in a way where there are also two upper and two lower very, very small incisions. "Pin sites" used for a more minimally invasive surgery. I was told I could shower about three days out with Saran Wrap. As anyone honest in this group knows, that doesn't keep it dry! Now big deal. They I was supposed to just wait until the strips fell off OR two weeks. They got dirty enough that I finally just removed them. My frustration TO THIS DAY with a June 2 surgery is that I just now got rid of the scab on the lower pin sites and had a "suture granuloma" pop up after I thought the big incision was healed. Just went squirt and puss came out. Not uncommon I hear but made me mad because I swim for exercise and the surgeon doesn't want me to swim until the thing is buttoned up. It seems June 2 to July 21 would have been enough time. Curious as to what others have experienced. I asked what the risk was and the obvious answer was infection. So then to the question of probability. One i thousands of surgery for this doc and a guy that went hot tubbing not long after surgery. Frustrating. My exercise clock is going haywire!!! lol.
 
@rslobe, I also love to swim for exercise. My OS said at my 7 week checkup that I could return to the pool, but I had no complications with my incisions. I'm not sure what that means for you with the complication you had. Has the suture granuloma fully healed? You should ask your OS about when he thinks it's safe for you to swim. The best thing is to err on the side of caution, because if rushing back to the pool results in an infection, that does you no good!
 
Ugh, my sympathies as a fellow swimmer who has not as yet returned to the water. I'm hoping to get a good word next week!

Like you, I had those extra "Pin sites." They are not scabby, but they are still sore to the touch. I don't have any suture granulomas, however, I did have three sutures push through just this week and am hoping they won't interfere with my clearance to swim. That said, if I don't get the "Thumbs Up," for some reason, I'm not going to risk infection. Is there anything else you enjoy for outdoor exercise until this completely closes?
 
It sounds like you have a good routine going with your going back to work and your LD rest time! Great about the beach vacation coming up. It'll be wonderful for you!
 
@Pheebs52 i nearly fell off the lounge dr when I read your comment about me living in a Georgetown brownstone! No, I live in an old brick rowhouse on Capitol Hill with no room for ductwork. I hear the technology for installing alternative systems in old houses has improved but when our neighbor had his done about 10 years ago he was very disappointed. maybe next summer!
 
lol keefsmom "i nearly fell off the lounge dr." good one...and not beyond the realms of possibility ~ ask me how i know...hehe! :blush: hope the weather cools off for you until, of course, you go to the beach.
 
I just returned from Bethany Beach, DE. Keep 50 spf on your scar this summer. I also stay under an umbrella on top of the 30 or 50 spf. You may need a cane to navigate the sand because it's hard on the quads. Ice packs in the cooler will help you stay cool and make the knee feel better too!
 
I had the end of a stitch poke through at about 3 weeks; now at two months and the area is irritated and will not stay completely closed. I'm 99% sure not infected and have texted photos to doc who agrees but it remains tender and looks like heck. I am going into surgeon's this week because it just doesn't seem right. Will let you know If I learn anything helpful.
 
Thank you @Josephine , I thought you'd never ask!:heehee:
This is today it's calmed down a bit since yesterday. I'm noticing that if I'm active, like yesterday when I was grocery shopping and running errands, the pressure under it builds and disrupts whatever scab is forming--then It will bleed a bit with pus (sorry so gross!) until another scab forms overnight and the cycle begins again. Today I haven't been as active which helps, but it's back to work tomorrow!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] One year kneeversary
    IMG_0407.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 173
I sure hope it's nothing to worry about. Let us know what you find out.
 
It looks like a stitch (I had a similar looking bump in my incision and that's what mine was) but you're wise to get the reddened area checked out, and the pus. Your OS will be able to tell right away what's going on and maybe can give you something to help it resolve quickly. Keeping you in my thoughts!
 
Glad you are going to the O S to get it checked out. I know I would worry until I had someone look at it.
 
Keep us updated what your OS's opinion is on your boo-boo.
 
Back
Top Bottom