Guest viewing is limited

TKR One year kneeversary

Hi @keefsmom, catching up on your thread -'how many weeks were you when you went back to work? And how do you get to work? And what kind of work do you do? Oh vey, so many questions!!!
When I was a kid, my nickname was Curious George, do you remember him?
I am just trying to plan my re-entry. It sounds like you are making good choices, LD instead of overzealous PT.
 
Good deal on the dresses @keefsmom! Bummer on all the swelling though; sheesh! I'd say August can't come soon enough if that means you can work from home. I take it the life-sized poster of your *stern-visage* in the office wasn't sufficient to keep the young'uns in line? Darn!
 
With all you are doing, including all that outside work, you've no reason to be going to PT. You are getting plenty of exercise and the swelling is coming from overdoing it. Let your knee rest and settle down and take a nice long break.
 
so so so frustrated,
Up until about 10 days ago I didn't know what everyone was talking about when they said their quads were sore, had a tight band feeling, couldn't get rid of swelling, etc. etc. now I get it and I am so sad and angry that I was on the road to a pretty great and quick recovery that's been stymied.
Can this really be chalked up to returning to work (which, to be clear, really hasn't involved much more activity than my routine at home I'm just sitting somewhere different) and one aggressive PT session? Has anyone else experienced a similar setback at 7 or 8 weeks?
I am not walking as well, or doing stairs as well or sleeping as well as I was 10 days ago.
Any advice besides skipping PT? I AM going again today because I want her to see what's going on. We did nothing but gentle stretching last time and that's all we will do today, too.
 
Going back to work is more than sitting at a desk. It's all the things that go along with the getting ready to go, driving to and driving back home. It is suggested to return to work at the earliest at 12 weeks. This is the minimum time your knee needs to reach the point that it can handle going back to work. When you go to PT, even though it's gentle and easy, you are not resting your knee. Neither are you elevating and icing at that time. All that time away from that is causing your knee to swell and get inflamed. You are just 1/6 of the way of a year long healing.
 
@nensi i don't know whether I've made *good* choices but I made the best ones I could given my circumstances! I ice 2-3 times a day at my desk and put the leg up on a chair when I do but I can't elevate as high as I do when I'm home. Getting ready for work takes me about 20 minutes really about same amount of time it took me to wash and dress before I went back and I drive a very short 10 mins to work. I get up and walk for 5 mins each hour. Nonetheless it appears to be taking its toll on the knee.
 
My tentative plan is to go into work (lab/office/factory) for the morning and lunch at home. The afternoon will either be a vacation day or work from home depending on how bushed I am. It's a pity to offer up my vacation for that but what the heck, I'm a good cause.
I will be able to arrange the back and forth to work with a taxi service which my company contracts and that way I will have a real deadline for beginning and end of the day. Also I have no idea when I will be cleared for driving. At this point I seem to be heading for Pheebs slow bender club and our car is a manual so both legs are essential.
From what you are experiencing it seems that I will need the vacation day plan.
 
I also think I made the mistake of letting my weekends get too busy. Going to scale back this weekend!
 
Arrggh! I'm truly sorry to hear this @keefsmom; pffft! I wish I knew the answers, but I can only make some guesses based on my limited experience. Here's my guess: Yes, an aggressive PT session could set you back this far. What the heck did they do to you at that session? Squats? Lunges? Something with weights? Hate to say it, but all your soft tissues are still healing and therefore very *delicate.* They can still have fainting sessions, like a Victorian lady in a too tight corset, and as such, need a rest, not strength building moves. :sleep:

Up until this session, your recovery had been rather remarkable, just based on what you've reported here with respect to little pain or swelling. So, now you have some swelling and inflammation and that=pain; big time. The tight band syndrome is also due to swelling. It's miserable. Ice, elevation and gentle bending help, but soft tissue injuries can take awhile to repair, so don't expect instant results.

No question, you've returned to work early, but you believed you could because you felt pretty darned good. As you've stated, your routine is not much different than it is at home, with the exception of leg elevation height and perhaps total time in an elevated position. I can't believe anyone would or could spend as much time elevating and icing in an office setting and office chair as they typically do at home? I know I couldn't have when still working and I was a number-cruncher.

Unless you've been out sprinting or bouncing around on a tennis court or trampoline, I doubt your weekend activities are the culprit, except....since you are now back to work, evenings and weekends really do need to incorporate some serious, quality down-time.

Crossing all digits for a quick recovery and please, keep us posted!:fingersx:
 
Although we do recommend taking about 12 weeks before you return to work, circumstances often intervene, and I do understand that you had to go back earlier.

However, all the little extra thing you have to do that are connected with working are cumulative and they almost always add up to increased swelling and pain. Your knee will adjust to this in time, as it continues to heal, but it's not unusual for starting work again to cause a temporary setback.
If the PT sessions involve only gentle stretching - and maybe some massage, elevation and icing - they can still be beneficial, but don't do any more exercises. Instead, if you can, come home from work, grab a quick meal, and then spend the remainder of the day resting, elevating and icing.
 
Thank you for letting me vent! I also took another look at the road to recovery graphic to remind myself of the difference between what we think recovery will be and how it really is (zigzagzigzag!)
And as @sistersinhim helpfully reminded I'm just 1/6 of the way there!
 
I'm so glad you feel better! We all have to vent sometimes, and we all understand that everyone has to vent! We are here for each other!
 
Hard work at PT allowed me to go from 80 degrees ROM to 115 degrees from week 6 to week 9. I had allot of swelling initially and that kept me from doing PT for about 3.5 weeks. I know everyone is different and listening to your body is important but for me, my gains in ROM came from doing aggressive (painful) PT. I still have tightness around the knee and that is frustrating. Hang in there, keep making progress. Don't fall into the mistake of comparing your progress to others. Compare your progress towards yourself. Good luck!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I know everyone is different and listening to your body is important but for me, my gains in ROM came from doing aggressive (painful) PT.
For the majority, the painful and aggressive PT is a set back for them and slows recovery way down. You are so right that you have to listen to your knee. It knows what is right for it. For me, it was just doing the daily activities, which included house and yard work, taking care of my rescued cats and taking care of me! When we say no PT, it certainly doesn't mean sitting on our rears doing nothing. It means doing the things that our knees are intended to do. And that's using them every way we're supposed to. That's rehab in itself!

You are an exception to the rule, that's for sure. And it is great to hear about your good recovery! Enjoy that new knee!
 
You are an exception to the rule, that's for sure
I don't believe there is a rule. Everyone heals differently, but most can agree it is very painful and frustrating to recover from this surgery. I'm no exception. I experienced the pain of swelling, having emotional distress from wondering if it would ever improve...its a very challenging recovery. But everyone heals at different rates for swelling and soft tissue rebalancing and everyone's threshold for painful PT is different. With all these differences that are unique to the individual, I cannot see where there could be a blanket rule per se. Each of us have our story, our unique approach to rehab and coping with the challenge. Some will find that doing less aggressive or no PT will be sufficient. That's an approach that (for me) would have retarded my progress. But others might find that better suits their preference. We're all working towards a successful outcome and everyone must find an approach they can manage.
 
sistersinhim's reference to you being an exception to the rule means a majority of the people we see do not respond well to aggressive therapy that results in pain and swelling. Your experience, while it worked for you, is the exception. You make a good point that people heal differently. It's great for you to tell your story. But remember this is keefsmom's thread and we need to get back on the topic of her recovery and her experience.
 
So things are slowly improving over here...been hanging with the lounge
Doc the minute I get home from work I swear I can almost feel the fluid moving up and out! Also, just for the heck of it, I started taking celebrex again...I had stopped it after 2 weeks because it was giving me awful diarrhea...I'm tolerating it better for some reason now and I think it's helping a bit too.
Been taking half an ambien these past few nights to get to sleep. The heat hasn't helped...I think I am the last person in Washington DC without central air...and the unit in my bedroom isn't cutting it! It's just hard to keep the house cool when the temperature barely gets below 80 even at night!
And great news, I am heading to the beach soon! We have rented a house at the Jersey shore for the past 20 years or more but hadn't planned on it this year because I just had no idea how I'd be feeling. I called a rental agency last week to see if I could get something at the last minute, and voila, got a great price because someone had cancelled their rental. There's a silver lining for you, huh?
 
Good report @keefsmom, especially the "silver lining," part! Love it! Keep hanging out with the LD after work; he's your best bud, lol. OMG, no central air in DC? I have central air up here and the house was built in the early 60's. Wait....are you in a beautiful, old Georgetown brownstone? I'll bet you are!
 
I am sorry you are having set backs. Focus on your up coming trip and hang with LD. I'll be sending healing thoughts your way.
 
Ooooh I envy you going to the shore!
Sure, I get to go to a spa but I'm an ocean baby! I was born in a hospital 2 blocks away from the shore.
Enjoy your stay and send some tranquil waves this way.:-)
 
Back
Top Bottom