Guest viewing is limited

TKR One year kneeversary

If it's Tuesday this must be...9 weeks.
Finally secured an appt with the OS to look at the boo-boo tomorrow. Goodness knows it took some doing to get the PA to show him the photo of the incision--once she did he said, " prophylactic antibiotics and get her in here."
Still not feeling as hardy as I was a few weeks ago, the boo boo definitely restricts my bending. Haven't had a measurement of flexion in a while but pretty sure it somewhere around 100 maybe a bit more. PT had gotten it to 115 but that was during the torture session that increased my pain and swelling for 2 weeks. Her goal for me is 120 but if I can't get there under my own power (i.e. Without a strap) what's the point?
On a happier note the air is fresh and cool this morning in your nations capital! Hope it's a beautiful day for the rest of you bonesmarties!
 
Good move, @keefsmom, for the assertiveness with the PA. here's hoping you get started quickly with the antibiotics and you'll get your bend back.
Good thing the weather is cool in DC, maybe it'll help to calm things down a bit...
 
Hmm, I thought "If it's Tuesday, it must be Belgium?" No? Oh well, it's 9 weeks for both of us and that's a great thing!

What, no Georgetown brownstone? Harumph! Oh well, who wants to live around all those rowdy college students, eh? Central A/C in 2 or more stories of an older building just doesn't work very well; pffft! How do I know? We had our first house, 3 stories, built in 1900, converted les than successfully. Cold air sinks, so it basically doesn't make it to the upper levels. OTH, hot air....well....you know; aargggh!

I'm really glad you have secured an appointment for that red bit. Hopefully, it's just a nuisance thing and can be quickly restored to good health with an antibiotic. I have 3 stitches popping out and will ask the OS to pull them today. So far, no redness though, but I've kept them covered with a Band-Aid to prevent snagging. :fingersx:
 
Oh, BTW, at PT yesterday, I was told their goal for everyone is 120 degrees. That's nice. It could take me a year to get there and guess what? I like them, but not that much; hah!
 
Good job standing up for yourself with the PA. A bump poking through an incision is one thing, but that red area around it needs an expert opinion. The PA for my OS said to call right away if things started getting red around my bump. Never did. Getting yours looked at by the OS is the right thing to do. The worst thing is to just put it off and hope for the best.

I say that because my first husband was a physician, and the one thing he would say again and again was "I wish (the patient) would have called right away." Doctors would rather a false alarm than have patients not inform them of potential trouble.

I'm crossing my fingers yours is a false alarm! :fingersx:
 
hope you get good results today keefsmom. glad it's a beautiful day in D.C., cool and fresh here in Toronto also; sitting outside with the prince.:dogsniff: and that is exactly what he is doing ~ sitting at the top of the hill with his nose sniffing.
 
Enjoy this cooler weather up there in DC. Down here in SE Virginia it's blessed cooler, too. I perfect day to take a nice walk!
 
Last edited:
Hi all!
No worries, it's just that I work on the Hill and things have been shall we say INTENSE this week? Of course it's been this way since January!
So the DS says I have not one but two infected boo boos where my body is trying to eject stitches that didn't dissolve like they were supposed to. He decided to clean them both out (you can imagine how fun that was but he was quick) so now the stitch remains are gone and I'm on a cycle of horse pill sized antibiotics.
The boo boos did have red around them which to anyone with half a brain would have been a sure sign of infection, but the PAs kept asking me if I had chills or a fever and since I didn't I assumed no infection. Of course DH was sure it was infected all along, but since when do I listen to him?!?:heehee:
Lesson learned!
 
Oh my, I glad you doctor got you in there quickly and has you on antibiotics. I hope this clears them up. Boy, I bet that hurt like crazy while he cleaned those things out. OUCH! I pray you have a really good night tonight.

I think I'd go crazy if I had to deal with DC's traffic! You must have nerves of steal!
 
@keefsmom, I'm so glad to hear you saw the surgeon and got those nasty stitches removed and an antibiotic! Phew! I know that had to hurt a LOT! I had 4 protruding stitches and had two removed yesterday. Mine were not infected, but dang, those babies hurt when removed and it bled quite a bit for such small things! Yours just had to hurt a lot worse give the infection, but now you're on the mend with your horse pills!

Oh my, you work on The Hill? Uh-oh....talk about a headache week! Early to bed for you; hah!
 
Two days ago I saw my surgeon for the first time since my June 2 TKR. ROM at 8 weeks equal to a typical year. I cannot remember the number honestly. Maybe 360?! lol. The Indian Rubber Man is back. No ice necessary anymore unless "it feels good." And this zinger: "Why did my staff say you could not swim with that little scab thing weeks ago?!" Ugh. So three swims in two days and I am still on the right side of the grass. OF COURSE IT STILL HURTS! What did ya think?! lol. But he's fine with my excellent progress and seems to want me out of his picture. Here is a link to my Thomas Coon Joint Replacement Institute in St. Helena, CA TKR: https://photos.app.goo.gl/7ImR9WmwyEwMEkHu2 Enjoy.
 
Hi all!
What is the name of the drug I see mentioned sometimes as helping with "nerve" pain? I think it's something like gabatrem? wondering if it would help with the burning/stinging pain around the top half of my scar? It's gotten pretty bad over the last 2-3 days. Tried ice, moist heat, Tylenol, ibuprofen...I have a few leftover percocets and might try one of those tonight. Sometimes it is more pronounced--like the "zingers" we talk about but in general it just radiates this burning sort of pain.not an infection at least I don't think so because the infected areas that my DS treated with a course of antibiotics are now looking much better--no redness. I had sensitivity around the scar before, this is different and hurts whether the area is covered with clothing or not. I mean, I'll live but it ain't fun. What is about this recovery? :sigh:
 
Hey @keefsmom, good to see you! I take Gabapentin and I think this might be what you are referring to? I've had very few zinger episodes, but some, a few hours here and there of that sunburned sensation, but not lasting days, so perhaps the Gabapentin does help. I've been on it for quite some time due to back pain, so it's hard for me to judge whether or not it's been helpful with the knee. My guess is probably.

Glad to hear your infection has cleared up; phew!

This recovery is like nothing else....ever, lol.
 
Yes that's it thanks @Pheebs52 . I suppose I'll put in a call to DS and see what they think. It's hard to know what's normal and what isn't, I've never had neuropathic pain before so nothing to compare it to.
How are things up north? Has it stopped raining yet? All our family from Boston area say it's been the wettest summer they can remember. At least the Red Sox are on a winning streak!
 
Glad your stitch abscesses are healing up. I spit a dissolvable stitch/knot at 5 1/2 months at the bottom of my incision and 1 month later at the top of my incision. :) Hoping the nerve issue is resolved. I was on Gabapentin my first 30 days post TKR which I think caused me not to feel much of that nerve discomfort. Zingers for me were usually no longer than seconds.
 
@keefsmom, this really has been a very gloomy, soggy summer....not *beachy* at all, which was fine by me for awhile since I was banned from walking on sand, but now? Not. So. Much! We tend to either have absolutely perfect summers or...this! I am longing for a dry, sunny 75 degree day. I'll probably get some in September; hah!

How about those Red Sox, eh? Not too shabby!
 
Back
Top Bottom