TKR One year kneeversary

Extension is 0 and flexion is 105 unassisted 110 if I'm using a strap to do heel slides (I know that is also frowned upon, but it's never bothered me before and I think has helped me gain flexion). So what's the point with the weights, right?!? I think she's venturing into the strengthening territory when all I really care about is ROM.
 
Ouch!!! Definitely cancel PT tomorrow and maybe for the rest of the week. Hope the ice and rest work quickly!
 
The weights are definitely strengthening as are the bands. Too soon; pffft!
 
The weights are for strengthening. My PT was starting to push weights just before I quit PT. When he first put them on, Sister (the nun in our PT group) said, "You're starting her with the heavy ones?" He had 5# weights on my ankles! I shot him my dagger look and said, "Seriously?" He switched to 2# weights. I tried it and... knees got sore, so the next time I said no to those. But 5#? Those would have killed my knees. Some therapists are all about "training" your knees and legs. We in the early stages of recovery don't need strength training. Strength is good, but stressing an injured joint is not.

And the extra step up? That's a stretch, too. I never did reach the highest step up, but imagine it would have been a bit much. Stairs now do the job of that exercise.

My stitch worked out and is now healing. It just kind of came out in the shower the other day when I was scrubbing down my legs, including incisions, with a loofah. Legs are looking good now. My OS looked at the spot and proclaimed it a stitch. He also said more might show up. Mine never became inflamed or painful, just pokey (the stitch itself). I was told to put hydrogen peroxide on it a few times a day, and I did that sporadically.
 
Avoid the weights at this point in your recovery Keefsmom - particularly if you are working already. Just the energy and movement to survive working is exercise enough at this point. Recovering from a session in the ODIC is no fun!
 
I can't get my head around why PTs feel the need to push quickly into the next area. It is like they know you can do most of this at home and need to give you something that they can provide.
 
With you working, you do not need any PT on the days you work, and maybe even not at all. And certainly not with weights. :no-fin: You can actually harm your knee this early in your recovery. Please do not do that again! You should wait at least to about 4-5 months.

It will probably take a while for this PT overwork for your knee to calm down. I suggest you do not go back to PT until your knee is back to where it was before this therapists did this to you. This will more than likely be a set back for your knee, unfortunately.
 
I honestly think they just need to do something. Like fill those 45 mins. I'm close to canceling altogether. I think I have decent ROM for my stage and they just assume the next place to go is stength. I'm going to ask them to release some of my tight muscles, work my piriformus/hips and some muscle stretching vs stength tomorrow. Their response will help me decide whether to keep going.
 
You have the right idea, Jenn. Ask the PT to do what you feel your body needs, not what he/she has in the agenda.
 
I've done the straps, and even bought one myself so I could do some lift the leg over my head hamstring stretches I actually enjoy doing (no pain whatsoever with those, just a good stretch). I'm still working on Lefty's extension. Unfortunately therapists often try to "force" our new knees by having us do those horrid pulling-heel-slides. If it hurts, don't do it.

I really loathe the "no pain, no gain" mentality. It needs context to separate it from torture.
 
Full day of work really kicked my derrière today! Since I already have time off for PT tomorrow, I'm going to leave work as scheduled...but I may be visiting the Lounge Dr instead of the PT clinic! Certainly will heed everyone's good advice and stay away from weights and bands (I think the latter is what did me in)!
 
Skipping PT sounds like a good plan! Enjoy your date with the Lounge Dr.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Dr. Lounge will do you much more good than PT!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Dating the LD sounds much more beneficial to me. He'll never let you down; hah!

I really have to wonder why they even had you do that leg-band, crabwalk? I mean, were they bored or had they run out of ideas for you? I had to do that for my hip replacement, but it just doesn't make any sense to me for a knee. :scratch:
 
Full day of work really kicked my derrière today! Since I already have time off for PT tomorrow, I'm going to leave work as scheduled...but I may be visiting the Lounge Dr instead of the PT clinic! Certainly will heed everyone's good advice and stay away from weights and bands (I think the latter is what did me in)!
Since you're back at work, I don't think you need to go to PT at all, especially if they have you doing exercises there that are not right for your knee. Everyone needs a day off between PT sessions and if you've been working one day and doing PT the next day your knee isn't getting any day off at all.

From now on, the activities of your daily life will be your PT. Don't forget that going to work doesn't just entail what you do at work.
Read this article again, particularly the second post, which lists all the things involved in going to work.
Phased return to work
 
@Celle alas, I think you are right. Went to PT today and she was troubled by increase in swelling. Told her it started after last Monday's session. So even a week of no PT hasn't taken care of the damage done with one over/aggressive session and it seems more and more likely to me that being at work 40 hrs a week has also set back my healing. I've also been doing a lot more outside of work too and I need to scale that back as well. Pledging this week to rest ice and elevate all evening every evening. Living for august when I can more easily do half days at home but right now I need to be physically in the office.:groan:

Also going back to the surgeon this week, the area where an internal stitch was protruding will not heal and is extremely sensitive to the touch! It does better if I stay away from pants, so I've had to go on a dress buying binge since I rarely wear them. Found 3 at Target $30 each! They're a little casual for work but are fine with a cardigan. @Pheebs52, I did buy an electric razor and while it's not the closest shave, it's close enough!
 
Back
Top Bottom