Guest viewing is limited

TKR One year kneeversary

Good to hear your stitch infections are looking much better. I have no insight to offer on your current pain, other than that I sympathize because it sounds miserable. Hope the gabapentin takes care of it, or your OS has some other relief to offer.
 
It wouldn't hurt to check it out with your doctor.
 
So I think I may have figured out the root of the burning pain!
Last Saturday I got out the trusty electric razor cuz I was determined to shave off those gross long hairs that were growing close to the scar. I spent like 20 minutes shaving and re shaving all around the scar until I was satisfied, and now that I think about it, the burning started bothering me on Saturday night when I couldn't sleep because of it.
What I get for being a slave to western beauty standards!
Much much less burning today, thank goodness.
 
I am glad your stitch infections are better and that you are having less burning. I still have a patch next to the incisions that I haven't shaved. I'm in no hurry and will just braid it if it gets too long.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi keefsmom,
I sent you a personal email which should have been to the public! Still would love your reply and if you know how to share with everyone that would be great! Thanks
 
Just catching up on threads and realized that if @Pheebs52 is having a 3 month kneeversary I must be too!
I am getting used to (or maybe just tolerating) discomfort in various forms but also celebrating how strong my new knee feels--for e.g., last week I traversed soft beach sand daily with no problem and took a 30 minute walk down the beach with the waves washing over my feet every day. I don't give a hoot for measurements at this point because I can do most anything I need to or want to better than I could prior to surgery.
This darn incision is still wicked sensitive--but even with that, I have managed a few hours of stomach sleeping this week ( I just have to be completely exhausted!) wearing pants still sucks but doing it every other day in hopes of desensitizing the area, otherwise I'll have to buy a complete new wardrobe for winter!
Best to all you good bonesmarties!
 
@keefsmom, yeehaw! You did the whole beachy business; sand walking, waves washing over your feet, all with zero negative repercussions! Yes!!!:yes!: I know that had to be great for your knee-centric spirit and other spirits as well! The salt-water *cure* rules!:yahoo:

I wish your stubborn incision would just *straighten out and fly right,* though; pffft! I'm sure you've tried wearing super tight leggings to bed and probably a plethora of other measures. Have you tried just placing a large, breathable bandage over it at night? I did that for awhile, along with the leggings, and it seemed to help, but I didn't have as much difficulty as you. I wonder if having the infection from the popped stitches has added to your incision woes? I've no idea, but let's face it, anything is possible with these :censored: knees, eh? Did the doc offer you Gabapentin?

I don't think you'll want to wear dresses all winter, right? I certainly wouldn't; brrr! The bandage idea will help you wear slacks, or the cling-film idea that some here do seems to work as well. :fingersx:
 
I've looked for large bandages but to no avail, and wrapping with conventional ace bandages won't really work under my pants--at least not the ones I wear to work! I am gifted with ample thighs, so even the widest pant leg is a close fit! Oh well...the sleeping comfort is definitely on the upswing though! I imagine the infections have slowed the healing down too.
I'm so happy to hear of your progress and your biking adventures! With the New England fall right around the corner there should be some beautiful biking weather soon! ‍♀️‍♀️
 
Hmmm...tights then? Really tight ones! You can get a pair of "Compression Capris," (undergarments) on Amazon. Check out the Leonisa brand because those are actually comfortable, as in, you won't feel like a stuffed sausage; always a plus in my book. :heehee: They really do help minimize ouchy incision sensations; pinky swear!

Oh, I won't be cycling outdoors this year, lol. I've only just done 6 minutes on an exercise bike, but, it's a lovely thought for next year! Cycling with acorns falling on my head, hahahaha!
 
I found the long, narrow bandages on Amazon to cover the incision area while it was so sensitive.
 
They are on Amazon. They are 5" x 9". I hope they'll help you.
Band-Aid Surgipad Surgical Dressing, Extra Large

 
Last edited:
Just caught up on your news. Saying hello::wave:
I also posted an article (recently posted in the news,) about TKR incisions. Its in the forum library.
 
Glad to read you're doing well! My incisions don't seem to be as sensitive as yours, seeing as I wear pants without problem. One thing that helped me initially, though, was to gently rub a washcloth over them every day in the shower, and also to massage the scars with cocoa butter. The handling seems to desensitize them somewhat. And you are getting great tips from everyone else. People are swearing by those tight capris. :)
 
I just got caught up on your thread. You and I are also close "twins," (one day apart) and I was also suffering from that awful burning, stinging sensation. Gabapentin didn't seem to do much for me. Wearing tight leggings to bed has helped me get 3 nights now (knock on wood!) of decent sleep. Look for ones with as few seams as you can find, and as @Pheebs52 says, TIGHT is the operative word. (I got mine at Lane Bryant). I was wearing looser leggings, and while they were generally comfortable, only the tight ones have lessened the burning. I got a short length because I can't stand being too hot while sleeping. I seem to be the new ambassador of tight leggings, LOL!

I haven't had the infected stitches (and I feel for you!); that said, the good news is that I've noticed that those of us who are surgery twins seem to be following similar recovery paths. Everyone is unique, but within a recognizable period of time, most of us seem to be going through similar milestones and setbacks. So hang in there--that yucky pain and discomfort are not going to hang around forever. I'm just now getting control of it. I'm sending you some positive vibes that hopefully you can, too. :friends:
 
Back
Top Bottom