TKR One Year Anniversary!

Does anyone have prickly pain instead of the throbbing or stabbing kind? What do you do for it? Also, trying to come off the Tramadol. What did y’all do to stop pain meds?
I suspect many of us have experienced every possible description of pain possible, even if fleetingly or just for a couple of days! I'm guessing that prickly most likely describes a sensory nerve that was affected by surgery and is waking up or regenerating a bit - some nerves never will; others may stage a comeback in weeks or in many months. Some here refer to them as "zingers." Personally, my 9 month old knee has some zingers on a numb zone.
 
Does anyone have prickly pain instead of the throbbing or stabbing kind? What do you do for it? Also, trying to come off the Tramadol. What did y’all do to stop pain meds?
I have had to taper off postop pain meds four times in about 25 years. Based on my first surgeon's advice, what worked incredibly well for me was cutting the dose in half, then after three days cutting that dosage in half. Then after another three days, increasing the interval between doses.
 
Does anyone have prickly pain instead of the throbbing or stabbing kind? What do you do for it? Also, trying to come off the Tramadol. What did y’all do to stop pain meds?
I suspect many of us have experienced every possible description of pain possible, even if fleetingly or just for a couple of days! I'm guessing that prickly most likely describes a sensory nerve that was affected by surgery and is waking up or regenerating a bit - some nerves never will; others may stage a comeback in weeks or in many months. Some here refer to them as "zingers." Personally, my 9 month old knee has some zingers on a numb zone.
Thank you. I guess it will take a while for everything to comeback “online.” I took a half tablet of Tramadol and will try a taper approach. I realize I’m still early in this process and I’m being overly impatient about wanting to get on with my life! I’m able to do so much already and I am grateful for that!!
 
You can do one of two things to begin reducing the amount of drug you are taking:

1. Begin spreading out the times when you take the drug. If you are currently taking it every 4 hours, for a couple of days make it every 5 hours, then 6 for a few days and so forth until you reduce to one pill a day (usually at bedtime, cuz that's when we seem to need the pain relief most). Then at that point, you can start taking half a pill for a while and then no pill. At that point (no pill), you would take them only periodically when you have pain that over-the-counter medication won't take care of.

2. You can stay on the same schedule (like every 4 hours) and cut back on the amount of the narcotic with each dose. That can be done by asking your doctor for a lower-strength medicine or by cutting pills in half. Only reduce the amount by 1/2 pill at a time if you are staying on the same schedule - not a whole pill. Then when you get to the point that you're taking a half pill at each dose time (that's about as small a dose as you can get), start spreading out the time between doses. This approach works if you need the pain medicine during the day for PT appointments or other activity where over-the-counter meds won't work.

As you're cutting back, expect that you may have to use NSAIDS to fill in the gaps for pain.... Aleve (Naproxen), Advil (Ibuprofen), Motrin or try Tylenol (Paracetamol).

Just be sure you don't try to cut back too fast. You'll feel it if you do and will need to make adjustments accordingly to slow the taper. The whole process can take several weeks, so be patient and make sure you are stable for a day or so at each level before you make another reduction.

Or....you can contact your doctor and ask what schedule THEY prefer you do. But I believe a person will do just as well taking care of this yourself. Only YOU know how you feel at any given time. You want to cut back just enough so the over-the-counter meds work and not so much that you get those flu-like symptoms or have pain.
 
@PeachyKnee I can confirm that Jaycey’s advice works. I have been so concerned about taking opioids and getting hooked. So, I started out by lengthening my time between doses. Once I was comfortable with that, I started cutting my pills in half. I did this over the course of about 10 days, I think. It was fast. I would have liked to do it longer, but didn’t have enough medication. Yesterday. I took half a pill at 5 am and I haven’t had one since, so it’s been 24 hours with minimal withdrawal symptoms, if any! I’m feeling good this morning and have been taking Tylenol in place of oxy. Also, I have very achy pain at night, so my OS prescribed Gabapentin, which really helped me last night and also made me sleepy, so I had a good nights sleep! I still have a refill of oxycodone to pick up on Monday and I will just keep those on hand for bad days. Good luck.
 
@PeachyKnee I can confirm that Jaycey’s advice works. I have been so concerned about taking opioids and getting hooked. So, I started out by lengthening my time between doses. Once I was comfortable with that, I started cutting my pills in half. I did this over the course of about 10 days, I think. It was fast. I would have liked to do it longer, but didn’t have enough medication. Yesterday. I took half a pill at 5 am and I haven’t had one since, so it’s been 24 hours with minimal withdrawal symptoms, if any! I’m feeling good this morning and have been taking Tylenol in place of oxy. Also, I have very achy pain at night, so my OS prescribed Gabapentin, which really helped me last night and also made me sleepy, so I had a good nights sleep! I still have a refill of oxycodone to pick up on Monday and I will just keep those on hand for bad days. Good luck.
Hey. Just replied in your thread. Glad to hear from you. I asked about Gabapentin. They have me on Lyrica an I can‘t take both. Lyrica works well at night. The oxy gave me hot flashes!! I’ve already been through that cap a long time ago. LOL. I’m also adding Turmeric and I already ate Fish oil. Today is just a slow resting day for me. We got this!
 
You can do one of two things to begin reducing the amount of drug you are taking:

1. Begin spreading out the times when you take the drug. If you are currently taking it every 4 hours, for a couple of days make it every 5 hours, then 6 for a few days and so forth until you reduce to one pill a day (usually at bedtime, cuz that's when we seem to need the pain relief most). Then at that point, you can start taking half a pill for a while and then no pill. At that point (no pill), you would take them only periodically when you have pain that over-the-counter medication won't take care of.

2. You can stay on the same schedule (like every 4 hours) and cut back on the amount of the narcotic with each dose. That can be done by asking your doctor for a lower-strength medicine or by cutting pills in half. Only reduce the amount by 1/2 pill at a time if you are staying on the same schedule - not a whole pill. Then when you get to the point that you're taking a half pill at each dose time (that's about as small a dose as you can get), start spreading out the time between doses. This approach works if you need the pain medicine during the day for PT appointments or other activity where over-the-counter meds won't work.

As you're cutting back, expect that you may have to use NSAIDS to fill in the gaps for pain.... Aleve (Naproxen), Advil (Ibuprofen), Motrin or try Tylenol (Paracetamol).

Just be sure you don't try to cut back too fast. You'll feel it if you do and will need to make adjustments accordingly to slow the taper. The whole process can take several weeks, so be patient and make sure you are stable for a day or so at each level before you make another reduction.

Or....you can contact your doctor and ask what schedule THEY prefer you do. But I believe a person will do just as well taking care of this yourself. Only YOU know how you feel at any given time. You want to cut back just enough so the over-the-counter meds work and not so much that you get those flu-like symptoms or have pain.
Yes! This approach is working for me. I went all day without an Tramadol and took a half tab last nigh. Doing the same today And resting more. Thanks for this advice!!
 
What did y’all do to stop pain meds?
I reduced my dose first to half every 4 hours. Then I stopped my nighttime dose. I turned my night alarm off and only took that pill if I woke up in pain. From there I stretched out the time in between doses. I've been taking Naproxen and Tylenol for the last couple weeks. I tried going without the Naproxen but still need it I still take tramadol if I am in a lot of pain but not daily.
 
I started out with half the prescribed dose of Naproxen and Aleve. Then I cut the dose as I was able. I did this in the context of still being able to rest/sleep and being able to walk more and more. If I could do that then I continued to cut the dose. I also increased it at one point, having over reached.

This is not recommended! They say be sure you "stay ahead of the pain". So there's that.

But it worked for me. Maybe I just have a high pain threshold or a great surgeon but on Day 12 I stopped all pain meds for good.

You must listen closely to your body. Without expectation. Without either wishful thinking or fear. Don't be afraid of the pain. Half of pain and discomfort is the fear and avoidance of it.

The way I see it pain is there to help you heal as quickly as possible. If you choose to use it. Otherwise to one degree or another it's debilitating and self perpetuating and you may keep reaching for the pain meds longer than necessary.
 
You can do one of two things to begin reducing the amount of drug you are taking:

1. Begin spreading out the times when you take the drug. If you are currently taking it every 4 hours, for a couple of days make it every 5 hours, then 6 for a few days and so forth until you reduce to one pill a day (usually at bedtime, cuz that's when we seem to need the pain relief most). Then at that point, you can start taking half a pill for a while and then no pill. At that point (no pill), you would take them only periodically when you have pain that over-the-counter medication won't take care of.

2. You can stay on the same schedule (like every 4 hours) and cut back on the amount of the narcotic with each dose. That can be done by asking your doctor for a lower-strength medicine or by cutting pills in half. Only reduce the amount by 1/2 pill at a time if you are staying on the same schedule - not a whole pill. Then when you get to the point that you're taking a half pill at each dose time (that's about as small a dose as you can get), start spreading out the time between doses. This approach works if you need the pain medicine during the day for PT appointments or other activity where over-the-counter meds won't work.

As you're cutting back, expect that you may have to use NSAIDS to fill in the gaps for pain.... Aleve (Naproxen), Advil (Ibuprofen), Motrin or try Tylenol (Paracetamol).

Just be sure you don't try to cut back too fast. You'll feel it if you do and will need to make adjustments accordingly to slow the taper. The whole process can take several weeks, so be patient and make sure you are stable for a day or so at each level before you make another reduction.

Or....you can contact your doctor and ask what schedule THEY prefer you do. But I believe a person will do just as well taking care of this yourself. Only YOU know how you feel at any given time. You want to cut back just enough so the over-the-counter meds work and not so much that you get those flu-like symptoms or have pain.
This is great advice. I had a half of a tablet last night and made it to 5pm today without taking one. I took a half at 5 that did not budge anything and took the other half at 6. It’s starting to take the edge off. I’ll try not taking one at bedtime and just use the Tylenol pm to see…. Eventually…
 
Should I be sleeping at night with my knee elevated? I am not. It doesn’t seem to bother me.

I elevated it more today and iced less. Does there come a time where you’re not doing either of these anymore? I’m going into my 6th wee. Seeing the primary doctor tomorrow.
 
Sleeping is what is important, not how you sleep. If you are doing OK without elevating, then that's fine. As long as you have swelling and/or pain, you can be elevating and icing. I iced and elevated for months. It's a personal desire, if you want to quit and it causes no problems, then quitting is fine.
 
I am not elevating at night. I just couldn't get comfortable with it. I found the best way to sleep is a soft pillow under my legs that I can adjust as needed. Elevation in my bed was throwing my right hip off. It was great in my recliner. Although it doesn't seem to matter what I do, my hip isn't happy.
 
I am not elevating at night. I just couldn't get comfortable with it. I found the best way to sleep is a soft pillow under my legs that I can adjust as needed. Elevation in my bed was throwing my right hip off. It was great in my recliner. Although it doesn't seem to matter what I do, my hip isn't happy.
I’m sorry about your hip. I use a pillow if I turn on my side. It’s all much more than I anticipated for sure!
 
Neither hip likes being laid on. I've had bursitis on both sides. Pillow between the knees is the only way I can sleep on my side. Unfortunately, my right side is the most comfortable and the surgery side too! I have only managed sleeping on my left once and that didn't last long.
 
Neither hip likes being laid on. I've had bursitis on both sides. Pillow between the knees is the only way I can sleep on my side. Unfortunately, my right side is the most comfortable and the surgery side too! I have only managed sleeping on my left once and that didn't last long.
Understand. The first time I tried sleeping on my side wasn’t long either. But I’m tossing and turning less.
 
When did you decide you were glad you did your surgery? People tell me I am going to love my new knee. I’m not quite there yet. Lol.

I saw my primary doctor today. She said it looked good and was impressed that I came into the office without a cane or walker and was able to get up on the exam table and down from it.

My husband and I had a nice lunch at a favorite restaurant on a beaut day in the North Georgia mountains where we live. I am paying for it tonight and I’m resting and icing and elevating And enjoying a nice cup of pumpkin spice tea.
 
On liking my new knees...
On my L TKA as soon as I could do communuty walking without a cane, because the preop knee had been so unstable for a year that I never knew if/when it would suddenly hurt so bad I'd be on crutches for a few days.

On my newer R TKA as soon as I could walk 2 miles nonstop because ten years of post traumatic osteoarthritis eventually led to a baseline, on a good day, of one mile. I LIKE walking!!!! (It took gradual increases to achieve 2.25 miles at 16 weeks postop).
 
On liking my new knees...
On my L TKA as soon as I could do communuty walking without a cane, because the preop knee had been so unstable for a year that I never knew if/when it would suddenly hurt so bad I'd be on crutches for a few days.

On my newer R TKA as soon as I could walk 2 miles nonstop because ten years of post traumatic osteoarthritis eventually led to a baseline, on a good day, of one mile. I LIKE walking!!!! (It took gradual increases to achieve 2.25 miles at 16 weeks postop).
Wow! I’m impressed!
 
Are compression socks and knee sleeves helpful to reduce swelling and pain?
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom