TKR One Year Anniversary!

When does this tightness and swelling subside? It’s not giving me a break! Does it ever feel like a normal knee? The temperature here has dropped down to freezing and we have freeze watches going. I don’t think my new knee likes it very much!

I canceled going to do blood work because of the cold weather and I have PT this afternoon. I decided it was too much activity. I’m working half days at home and having to take mini breaks to ice and elevate and rest and just walk around. Otherwise it’s too much bending in one position for too long.

y’all are great to let me vent and to just be there to listen to me whine. Lol.

❤️
 
You are about two weeks ahead of me. I still have significant swelling and stiffness, too. It is annoying and keeps me from being able to bend as much as I would like. I also still have a throbbing pain along the inside of my knee that will get a little better after I take a pain med, but it is always there. I live in San Diego, so haven't had to deal with the cold, cold weather yet. But, it’s coming. It’s still early days. Hang in there!
 
Oh! If you're working half days at home at 4-5 weeks post op, trying to fit in icing, elevation, and walking around that, that's plenty of challenge for your poor knee!
I'm glad you decided to skip PT.
 
When does this tightness and swelling subside? It’s not giving me a break! Does it ever feel like a normal knee?
When does it go away? Well, that is different for everybody but normally it's at least 4-6 months. You are just beginning your healing journey and can expect it to be this way, slowly getting better as time goes on. That is the main thing that will heal your knee and diminish your symptoms...time, not exercise. Exercising it too much causes inflammation which causes swelling and pain. Swelling is the cause of that tightness. For me, that stiff, tight feeling was the last thing to go. The pain was much better, but that tightness hung on for quite a while.
 
You are about two weeks ahead of me. I still have significant swelling and stiffness, too. It is annoying and keeps me from being able to bend as much as I would like. I also still have a throbbing pain along the inside of my knee that will get a little better after I take a pain med, but it is always there. I live in San Diego, so haven't had to deal with the cold, cold weather yet. But, it’s coming. It’s still early days. Hang in there!
San Diego is a great city. I lived in Los Angeles 30 years before moving home to Georgia. Keep me posted on your progress. We’ll compare notes.
 
Oh! If you're working half days at home at 4-5 weeks post op, trying to fit in icing, elevation, and walking around that, that's plenty of challenge for your poor knee!
I'm glad you decided to skip PT.
I went to PT. That was enough. She’s good with me. Working on gentle exercises, but I do have to rest a lot afterwards. I do take breaks often to ice and elevate.
 
You are about two weeks ahead of me. I still have significant swelling and stiffness, too. It is annoying and keeps me from being able to bend as much as I would like. I also still have a throbbing pain along the inside of my knee that will get a little better after I take a pain med, but it is always there. I live in San Diego, so haven't had to deal with the cold, cold weather yet. But, it’s coming. It’s still early days. Hang in there!
San Diego is a great city. I lived in Los Angeles 30 years before moving home to Georgia. Keep me posted on your progress. We’ll compare notes.
I will! Thanks.
 
I have some problems with Eczema and I’m seeing red rashes on either side of the incision and above below it. It looks like where the dressing was. I’m concerned but I don’t think it’s from the knee. PT saw me yesterday and said everything looked good and I was getting some definition to the new knee. When should I be concerned about this? Dermatology has really not been very helpful. I see a new Dermatologist on the 20th.
 
@PeachyKnee.

Please note that I've moved your latest post into your own thread. That way, you will receive replies here and won't derail another member's story.

Feel free to reply to other member's questions/comment on their threads, but we encourage you to share updates on and ask questions about your own recovery in your own thread.
 
@PeachyKnee.

Please note that I've moved your latest post into your own thread. That way, you will receive replies here and won't derail another member's story.

Feel free to reply to other member's questions/comment on their threads, but we encourage you to share updates on and ask questions about your own recovery in your own thread.
Sorry I thought I was there!
 
I’m seeing red rashes on either side of the incision and above below it. It looks like where the dressing was.
Yes, unless there is an open wound or you see discharge, it's probably just a reaction to the tape.

Many members report having red spots or rashes where tape held their dressing in place. I had a reaction to the glue that was used on my incision.

Can you share what your concern is? Are you worried about infection or something else?
 
:hi: PeachyKnee,
Happy One Month Anniversary!
No apologies necessary, you're in the right place now and we're happy you're here! :)

I am also guessing the redness you described is from tape. I had a similar reaction from the adhesive.
You can always ask your surgeon's care team if they'd view a photo you forward from your phone and give you their opinion. Something to consider if it will give you peace of mind.
Have a wonderful weekend! @PeachyKnee
 
:hi: PeachyKnee,
Happy One Month Anniversary!
No apologies necessary, you're in the right place now and we're happy you're here! :)

I am also guessing the redness you described is from tape. I had a similar reaction from the adhesive.
You can always ask your surgeon's care team if they'd view a photo you forward from your phone and give you their opinion. Something to consider if it will give you peace of mind.
Have a wonderful weekend! @PeachyKnee
Thank you Layla. This is what I’m thinking too. Yeah. One month! I rested more and it was better today. My husband says I overthink everything. Happy weekend to you too!
 
I’m seeing red rashes on either side of the incision and above below it. It looks like where the dressing was.
Yes, unless there is an open wound or you see discharge, it's probably just a reaction to the tape.

Many members report having red spots or rashes where tape held their dressing in place. I had a reaction to the glue that was used on my incision.

Can you share what your concern is? Are you worried about infection or something else?
That is my concern. Infection or something going wrong. Everyone says I’m doing great.
 
Hopefully, I’m posting in the right place this time!. Overall improvement. I’m only taking opioid pain meds at night and when I overdo it. Yesterday was one of those days. Had to do bloodwork in a lab 20 minutes from home and picking up meds at two different pharmacies- my husband had meds to get too. Ugh. I live in a small mountain town so the nearest lab is south or east of us. Dr. said I could drive by the end of the week if I want to do it. Around town and short trips I might. I’m working half days from home. Still getting the occasional hot flash. I’m sitting outside on the patio and it’s 65 degrees! But I’ve been folding clothes and I had a hot meal. The knee tightens up and let’s me know if I’m doing too much! I’ve heard some of y’all say you take Gabapentin for muscle tightness or is it for nerve pain? Thanks for being here!!
 
Is Gabapentin for muscle tightness or is it for nerve pain?
Gabapentin is for nerve pain.
Does massage therapy help?
Some people find it's very helpful and for others it's painful. Just as everyone's knee is different so is the rest of the body. You could try it, but start with a very gentle massage. When I had mine a few years ago, I explained that my knee areas were very sensitive and she was gentle around both of my knees. Be sure to let whomever you go to that you have an infant knee and be very gentle there.
 
Is Gabapentin for muscle tightness or is it for nerve pain?
Gabapentin is for nerve pain.
Does massage therapy help?
Some people find it's very helpful and for others it's painful. Just as everyone's knee is different so is the rest of the body. You could try it, but start with a very gentle massage. When I had mine a few years ago, I explained that my knee areas were very sensitive and she was gentle around both of my knees. Be sure to let whomever you go to that you have an infant knee and be very gentle there.
Thank you. My best friend from before elementary school (!) is a massage therapist. She’d have to come see me though. I couldn’t make the 2 hour drive (RT) to see her.
 
Re massage: To avoid me lying on my tummy, my longtime massage therapist set me up postop on my opposite side, my surgical leg fully supported on a big bolster so it was level with my hip. She didn't go near my baby knee but did muscle releases to low back, pelvis, and hip that were amazing.
 
Does anyone have prickly pain instead of the throbbing or stabbing kind? What do you do for it? Also, trying to come off the Tramadol. What did y’all do to stop pain meds?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom