THR One year anniversary THR

Thank you. I do believe this is quite rare, but I’m thankful that the reduction procedure went smoothly and no fracture. And I feel good, actually no pain at all. Small things.
 
No one more shocked than me! Honestly, I barely thought about the THR, I was doing all my activities and sports. But I’ll get it all back!
 
Ugh, such unfortunate news! I am sorry, Sohowarrior.
If you’re interested to read of others experiences with dislocation, type “dislocation” into the SEARCH at the top right of the page and all threads where it’s been mentioned will pop up. You’ll likely see it mentioned more than it’s occurred, but I’m sure you’ll find some member’s threads that dealt with the same.
I hope you’re feeling strong and back to normal soon!
@Sohowarrior
 
Thanks all. I’m amazed at how little info I have found on dislocation over a year out. I’m not swollen and not in pain, I suppose I will just keep the brace on and take it easy while I wait to see my old surgeon. Interestingly, he no longer accepts Medicare, but I’ll cross that bridge when I get there. For now, just glad to be walking!
 
Wow that's crazy, so sorry but it's my biggest fear! Still!
I sit on toilet seat after my shower with towel and cream my legs and feet. I have an acquaintance that dislocated tying her shoes so I guess you just never know.
Sounds like you are doing fine after this trauma, take it easy though.
Keep us posted.
 
Here’s a bit of a good news update. First, I’m seeing my surgeon next week, 8 days earlier. Bringing my before and after x rays of the reduction. That required a somewhat aggressive phone call to his office but I have learned the hard way that the best medical advocate for myself is me. So miraculously, an earlier appointment. Next, I’ve been authorized to ditch the brace after two more days and to sleep with adduction pillow and of course, no sports. More to come but thinking positive thoughts!
 
Update: Saw my old surgeon this morning and all looks good. I feel fine, I am cleared for golf and spin bike, no Pilates for 6 weeks. Shall I say I will no longer been over to the floor while seated on a low stool? Lesson learned. But it definitely was a rare thing, and while I am going to be quite careful I can do that and still resume things that make me happy, and for that I am hugely grateful.
 
Hi @Sohowarrior
Just catching up on the forum and was happy to see your name come up... unhappy to see you suffered a dislocation and reduction procedure.

I am so happy to see the procedure went well and knew that your determined nature and positive attitude would get you through it.

Even though dislocation after a year is rare, oft times recovery after reduction procedure can require weeks , sometimes months, with a brace.
I know you are happy to ditch that thing!
Saw my old surgeon this morning and all looks good. I feel fine, I am cleared for golf and spin bike, no Pilates for 6 weeks.
With all due respect, that sounds a bit crazy to me.
Putting that ball back into the socket requires alot of force and certainly traumatizes soft tissue.
Golf (with its twisting motion) would be a no-go for me, and Spin bike for strenghthening would be something I would delve into slowly with very little resistance perhaps in a few weeks...certainly not 8 days after a reduction procedure.
Please give your hip lots of rest and ice time!
 
I hear you. Going to take things slow on the bike. No standing jogs, no heavy resistance, no twisting out of cleats. Not playing golf for another week and will start with chipping and putting then move to 100 yards out. Not about to hit driver off the tee! Seated upper body tomorrow and some easy abs. Maybe a pelvic lift or two to test the waters. Walked a mile today, no issues at all. Was thrilled to do that. Last thing I need is to be back in the ER.
 
Want to add: I was in a knee immobilizing brace, not a hip brace, and was able to walk out of the hospital fully weight bearing with the brace on, no aids needed. Kept it on the night I had the reduction, then four more days , ditched after speaking to PA in surgeons office. At least at HSS, that seems to be the protocol for a closed reduction with no other complications. They did not order any ice, elevating or PT, which I thought was a bit strange, but since I’m not in pain, I’ll just do my own gentle strengthening exercises with light resistance band and see how that goes for next few weeks and add that in with resuming bike and golf. Basically, they looked at my X-rays from ER from before and after reduction, a third set the morning I saw my surgeon, and said everything looked good. Didn’t even give me exercises to do. Sounds odd, but I have utmost confidence in my doctor. Gotta start moving but will not overdo.
 
Didn’t even give me exercises to do. Sounds odd, but I have utmost confidence in my doctor. Gotta start moving but will not overdo.
I dislocated a shoulder many years ago, they surely didn't want me exercising it right afterwards. A lot more going on in the hip area and my shoulder wasn't carrying my weight every step.
 
I was super careful this morning. Pedaled for 30 minutes at light resistance seated. Did some calf raises at kitchen counter, slow pelvic lifts with light resistance band, arm weights while lying on the floor (and again, very slow and careful getting down and up again), and some abs but no twisting and no bringing knee up towards chest, not even to hip level. Have to say it felt so good to start moving again, even at that pretty gentle level. Hip seems happy, zero pain or tenderness. Baby steps! There is so little info out there and much of it contradicts each other, I’m just trying to use all my years of exercise to figure out what is safe. ER the last place I want to be but atrophy and weakness pose hazards also. Anyone have thoughts on using a theragun on low level for a few minutes around the soft tissue, not directly on the ball and socket area? Kind of flying blind here!
 
@Sohowarrior Glad to hear from you even if not for the best of reasons. I don't have any experience with the theragun so I'm not sure what your goal is for using it. You could always check with one of your healthcare providers. Lacking that, common sense should prevail. Like everything else you will be getting back to (except Pilates for a bit,) you'll just have to go slow, as you've indicated, and see how it feels and how you feel following it. It's normal to feel cautious after the set back you've experienced and that's not necessarily a bad thing. However, the indication is that it's okay to move ahead as long as you follow the restriction you were given. Even that had a time limit to it. Best wishes moving forward and keep us updated.
 
Today was a good day! Did 45 minutes on my spin bike but only seated. Going to wait a few more weeks for standing jogs out of the saddle. Doing some light barre like calf raises and plies with heels raised, pelvic lifts with a versa band. Upper body with resistance bands and weights, 5 pound and 8 pounds. Did some lower abs today and some very slow and gentle obliques. Making it up as I go along, But doing what feels right.
First golf on Friday and very nervous. 9 holes only, and I’ll likely only play 100 yards out. But I need to get over the fear factor involved in a full swing. Will come in time!
 
But I need to get over the fear factor involved in a full swing
There is such a thing as healthy fear, it keeps us from danger. Possibly your body is signaling that it's not time for the twisting involved in a full swing. It's unpleasant to think of you moaning in pain while lying flat on the green, unable to move, in front of onlookers. :scaredycat:Hopefully you are okay with waiting on this.
I’m just trying to use all my years of exercise to figure out what is safe.
I am guessing this is what you were doing pre-dislocation, but all it took was you bending over while sitting on a stool to apply lotion to your feet. You weren't even exercising. Some of what you're doing feels rather ambitious / risky so early on, but it's your body. It's worrisome.
Making it up as I go along, But doing what feels right.
We can't always trust our own instincts especially in a situation like this when it took no more than you bending over. I am sure bending over to apply lotion "felt" right, or non threatening, but you dislocated. Some professional guidance may be helpful, rather than risk the possibility of another dislocation so soon.

As I stated earlier, it is your body, but I would be remiss if I didn't caution against the ambitious workout you're engaging in only two weeks post dislocation. I would encourage others to get a nod from their surgeon on any exercises they'd like to engage in, or the guidance of a PT that's dealt with therapy post hip dislocation.

Best wishes, Sohowarrior...please proceed with caution.
 
It’s difficult to assess. My surgeon reviewed all my X-rays including the ones taken the morning he saw me. Gave me the green light for all but Pilates. I was surprised for sure, but he’s head of the hip service at HSS, so if I can’t rely on him, then who? On the other hand, I definitely am not pushing it although maybe my workout description from yesterday sounded far more ambitious than it was. Very little hip involvement and all movements were slow and controlled. I don’t want to wind up in ER again. My plan tomorrow is short game only and see how it goes. No climbing in and out of sand traps! Will do a little gentle stretching before I go out. And I’m reaching out to a few other drs I know to see what they say.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom