THR One year anniversary THR

Main hospital on East 70th. He’s also on the committee there that reviews the super difficult cases. Alejandro Gonzales Della Valle. This guy gave me my life back. It’s hard to second guess him, but I am.
 
That's fantastic!!! congrats on the 1 year!!
 
Ah, you haven’t read the rest. I suddenly dislocated about two and a half weeks ago. I am feeling great, thank god. I had a closed reduction that went well and I walked out of the ER in a knee immobilization brace but fully weight bearing and no aids. Ditched it with permission after 4 days. Saw my surgeon and he’s given me the go ahead for all, except another few weeks for Pilates. Said I don’t need PT, don’t need ice or elevation. I am very physically active for many years, I work out in some form or another around 5 times a week. Avid golfer. But I am still feeling my way. There is so very little info on what to do after a dislocation after 14 months of no complications at all. It is not the same as the THR. I’ve been starting slow with exercising, going much slower and lighter than my usual. As I told Layla, I don’t want to end up in the ER again. I wish there was more info for me to consider.
 
Alejandro Gonzales Della Valle. This guy gave me my life back. It’s hard to second guess him, but I am.
I have heard of this surgeon many times and can think of one other person off the top of my head whose THR surgery he performed. Mersada, is her name. She really liked him also and she made appointments with many OS’s, like 5 or 6, if I recall, before she chose Della Valle as her surgeon.

I wish there was more info we could provide, Sohowarrior. I think time, as well as taking it slow and easy for awhile is your safest bet. Check out the dislocation articles in the BoneSmart Library if you haven’t already.
A great rest of the week to you!
 
Update. So far so good. Playing some limited golf but I do a little more each round. For those of you who play, I’m teeing off with a 7 wood or 5 wood until I’m feeling more confident. Same with exercise, just a bit more each day. Am I chastened? Absolutely. But I do think I learned a lot from this unfortunate experience and I’m grateful to the EMTs and ER staff who took such great care of me at Weill Cornell. I don’t want anyone on the fence about THR surgery to be fearful. This was a rare occurrence, I’m not blaming myself, and I’m looking forward. I do wish there was more info about rehab and healing after dislocation after 14 months. I will no longer forget that I have a new body part that needs respect!
 
Never expected to post this, but here I am. Had a THR in 2022, a dislocation last June that was repaired with closed reduction, surgeon said rare but it happens. All great, playing golf, spin class, Pilates … until yesterday when it just spontaneously dislocated again. I live in NYC but I’m in California now and had another closed reduction yesterday which went well, I’m walking with a removable immobilization brace on knee, a little sore but easily managed with Tylenol. Spoke to my NYC surgeon this morning, he’s head of hip practice at HSS, already reviewed yesterday’s X-rays and report. He says ball is not adhering to the cup which is why it’s slipping. Wants to do a revision to replace cup with different material and also repair some loose tissue damage. I’m very active and healthy, he’s suggesting six weeks recovery, same as replacement. I know how rare this is, anyone have some thoughts? I just want to get it done, he’s squeezed me on to OR schedule so that I’ll be free to travel after six weeks, trip planned to UK. I’m going to wait another week or so but he says I can even play golf now and spin (same as first dislocation). Just no Pilates. Would like to hear some reactions. Is this surgery a mistake? Surgeon says without it I will keep dislocating. Did he screw up? This is one of the most prominent hip surgeons in the world, stellar reputation.
 
@Sohowarrior, I'm so sorry to read that you are having repeated dislocations. I pray you will make the correct decision.

You'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as it's best if members in recovery only have one thread. We find it much easier for everyone.
This is because:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier for others to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. We won't miss your new question as, between us, the staff read all new posts each day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?

A helpful hint - Many members have found it useful to bookmark their thread so they don't lose it.
 
:wave:@Sohowarrior
I'm sorry to see you back with a revision looming but glad your surgeon has a plan for getting you back on track.
He says ball is not adhering to the cup which is why it’s slipping.
Not sure what exactly this refers to... the cup would need to adhere to the socket as the ball would fit in the cup and should be sized for the cup.

Wants to do a revision to replace cup with different material and also repair some loose tissue damage
Sounds like he wants to either try a different material to encourage bone growth into acetabular cup component or perhaps use one that utilizes anchor screws or cemented?

I’m very active and healthy, he’s suggesting six weeks recovery, same as replacement
This may be the flaw in some surgeons' tone for recovery especially to patients who are active and want to be back to their physical activities sooner than later.
6 weeks in my opinion, is Minimum time for short-term recovery and bone growth, traumatized tissue healing, etc would vary from patient to patient and giving a green light at 6 weeks across the board to all is not taking into account all individual variables.
Surgeon says without it I will keep dislocating. Did he screw up?
I don't know... sounds like he is of the highest reputation, but I would say he is screwing up if you have already dislocated twice and after a revision, he wouldn't hint that this recovery may need a longer time and more caution with activity to allow for your forever hip to have a chance to become as stable as possible.

I stymied alot of my favorite more aggressive physical activity for a year....Boooring, for sure.
But well worth it in the end.
 
All my best to you, must be so frustrating to be facing another surgery.
I'm also very active but I did take it pretty easy first 6 months after my replacement.
I let my body & hip run the show & I think it made me realize that this recovery is not fast or easy.
I'm not a baby when it comes to surgery, had several & I'm one that bounces back fast but hip replacement put me right in my place!
I'd suggest taking it a little slower with next recovery. Yes, we all love our activities but give your body a chance to heal.
 
Thanks! I am completely bummed out. Still processing. I had such a picture perfect THR and recovery that I certainly never contemplated this. But I am otherwise healthy, have a hugely supportive husband, and I will bounce back. Have a month to get myself together!
 
I am sorry to hear you have dislocation problems and are facing additional surgery. I know Dr. Della Valle and please be assured that he did not “screw up.” He is an excellent surgeon and I know he will do everything in his power to give you a good hip.

Your description of the “ball not adhering to the cup and that’s why it’s slipping” is not consistent with how a hip joint works and it leads me to believe that you may be misunderstanding at least some of what you are facing with this revision.

A hip prosthesis has an acetabular component that is either cemented or uncemented. These days, an uncemented cup is the preference for many surgeons and I imagine that is what was placed in your original hip. It has a special porous coating that allows your bone to grow into it during the early part of your recovery. During this growth period, it is critical that a patient is not performing activities that might interrupt this growth. Typical things that need to be limited or not done are those things that result in a twisting of your body such as golf, basketball, tennis, or Pilates. It would be good to discuss with Dr. Della Valle whether he plans to use an uncemented or cemented replacement when he does your revision. You might also ask if he plans to use a constrained cup that can further help prevent dislocation.

Many times a surgeon will use one or more screws in the acetabular component to provide additional stability for this early stage of growth. Eventually, your bone will grow into the metal cup so that it becomes part of you, a process that typically takes 2-3 months. Until bone grows into the implant, the cup is held in position by friction or screws that hold the cup to the bone. What you describe with the “slipping” would indicate to me that you may have a loose acetabular cup that didn’t adhere to the bone properly. When this happens, it can take a while for the cup to loosen to the point that problems occur, which may be why it took a while for your hip to begin dislocating.


[Bonesmart.org] One year anniversary THR


A plastic or ceramic liner is fitted into the acetabular component. The femoral part of your hip joint fits into this cup and the femoral head rotates freely to give your hip its movement. Dislocation occurs when the ball is allowed to rotate too far either from a loose or poorly aligned cup. There are particular types of implants that can help keep the prosthesis in place if dislocation is a problem and your surgeon may be considering this type of implant for you.

Once you have your hip revision, please refer to the chart below that we give to all members when they enter recovery. It shows how long it takes the various parts of the body to heal and begin to function normally again. While I’m sure your doctor indicated you can begin to do things again at 6 weeks, it is important not to push too hard with activities or exercise until full healing has taken place. You want this hip to last the rest of your life and it can if you treat it with care, especially during the first 6-12 months it’s in place. I understand that you will be impatient about returning to your high level of activity, but a temporary reduction in your activity levels of a few months is a small price to pay to ensure your hip has the best opportunity possible to stay strong and functional for you in the years to come.

[Bonesmart.org] One year anniversary THR
 
Thanks so much. I’m certainly no expert but this is a great explanation, it’s something to consider and to definitely discuss with Dr Della Valle. I’m curious about so many things. He has done hip replacements for several friends, also golfers and quite active. I’m the only one with recurrent dislocations. I also chose him in part because his philosophy is to get his active patients back to their athletic endeavors as soon as he deems it safe. For him, that’s generally 6 weeks or so if no complications. It’s difficult to challenge a surgeon when he gives you an all clear. Believe me when I tell you that after two ER visits, including one away from home, I want this new surgery to succeed. I’m going to get more info on the new procedure and time line.
 
Jamie, I do have another question or two. Is he is talking about either changing the cup or maybe the liner, he used the word “material” when we spoke. Can one be replaced without the other? I’m heading into this as if it is exactly the same as a THR in terms of recovery (all the same at home devices, ice, elevation, ankle pumps et al). I’m not sure you can answer this, but if I’m reading your explanation correctly and this is a cup replacement, is that a simpler and/or less traumatic surgery? I doubt it but asking anyway. Thanks again .
 
is that a simpler and/or less traumatic surgery?
Unfortunately no it is not a simpler procedure. It will be a very similar recovery as with THR with the added complication that you will need to allow time for healing as Jamie posted above.
You might also ask if he plans to use a constrained cup that can further help prevent dislocation.
Do ask this question. The "material" will be defined by what implant elements the surgeon will be using.
 
Jaycey is right. Any revision is a complex surgery that requires a very skilled surgeon who has done a ton of them. Only your surgeon can say whether he plans to just replace the cup or the acetabular component as well. What you wrote made it sound like the acetabular component was loose and in that case it would usually be replaced. Liners can be either plastic or ceramic, but they are not interchangeable with a specific acetabular component. You want all the components of the joint to be from the same manufacturer. I doubt that he plans to just swap out the liner. This will be every bit as much of a surgery as your primary hip replacement….maybe even a bit more involved if he needs to adjust the cup alignment. Allowing time for your body to heal in recovery will be important. Patience is paramount.
 
Got any good news?
Hi Sohowarrior, I hope you're having a good day.
I am wondering who the question is for that I quoted above so I can tag them for you to respond?
 
It’s ok, I was kind of joking, Jamie and Jayce have been great and gave me a lot of good advice. But I never expected to need a revision, I’m pretty depressed.
 
I'm sorry, Sohowarrior, being depressed about facing revision is understandable. You're feelings are valid and we're here to support you whenever you're in need. I am sure the prospect of another surgery and recovery feels a bit overwhelming right now, but it sounds like you'll be in the best of hands, with Dr Della Valle, and hopefully soon on the road to complete and perfect healing. :console2:
@Sohowarrior
 
What are your thoughts about getting a second opinion, either from another dr at HSS or someone at NYU? I’m afraid getting another opinion at HSS may be pointless since the surgeons might not contradict each other. This is obviously major surgery and before I agree to it, I’m wondering based on my reading if two dislocations warrants a revision and if there might be non surgical options available to me like strengthening the muscles and tendons around the implant. My X-rays are unchanged. If I’m reading my chart correctly, it looks like I have a cementec cup and the plan is to replace all components. None of this was discussed with me. I’ve asked Dr Della Valle for specific info on the surgical plan, hopefully an answer in next two days. Communication with him was a problem on my THR and it’s happening again although I’m being more of an advocate for myself. I’m feeling forced and rushed into surgery in a short period of time and not at all comfortable with the process. As an aside, he no longer accepts Medicare so I’d need to pay his fee out of pocket. The other HSS surgeon I’m considering, Jose Rodriguez, is extremely well regarded and does take Medicare.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom