THR One year anniversary THR

Two weeks plus one day. Sticking with a super easy PT regimen plus walking. Almost zero pain except can’t lie on operated side yet. Incision is pretty lumpy so starting to work on that but it’s totally closed up. Even took the car out for a quick errand today. And I am putting indoors, which requires zero hip movement and I have a ball retriever attached to the club so no breaking 90 degree rule. Anyway, all going perfectly. I never want to do this again!!!
 
Three weeks to the day. Can pretty much walk as much as I want, PT seems to be effective but not especially challenging, I’m fine with that for now. I am, however, going stir crazy. Swelling is going down, leg is mostly avocado green and not eggplant purple, end every day a slight twinge elsewhere but once again, a fairly smooth recovery path for which I’m grateful. But the ice machine! I’d recommend this thing for everyone!
 
Counting the days to my 6 week follow up on May 30th. Once again, I’m recovering really quickly, way ahead of the curve according to my PT, who is being a bit too conservative for my taste, but I’ll see if I can convince him to take it up a slight notch next week. I’d like to start practicing —- safely and slowly —- getting up and down from the floor, since I don’t have a bench at home to do some exercises like leg lifts and to start some pelvic lifts. My bruising is down around 90%, swelling going down daily although I have a sizable dent in my butt and the scar is still very pronounced, so much so that my husband suggested cosmetic surgery but I shut that down. Think this has been enough surgery for a while.
Fortunately, my left hip is not bothering me at all despite OA. Until this dislocation and revision mess cropped up, I was considering being a bit proactive and doing that side, but I suppose it will not surprise anyone that it’s now not even on the back burner. Even with a solid pre surgery prep, and a less complicated revision than might have been, in only a few short weeks I’ve lost muscle mass and stamina, it’s going to take a few months to get back to my pre operation level. I’m expecting to get a green light on May 30 to resume my crazy life! But a little at a time.
 
Once again, I’m recovering really quickly, way ahead of the curve according to my PT, who is being a bit too conservative for my taste, but I’ll see if I can convince him to take it up a slight notch next week. I
Respectfully, Sohowarrior, recovering quickly made no difference last time as you're now healing from revision surgery with the same hip. Consider a few months of doing it the PT's way, if you're unwilling to forego physical therapy, which isn't necessary for THR recovery. Soft tissue is healing and you want all to firm up around that implant so this doesn't happen again. I'd hate to see you go through another surgery and recovery with the same hip...ever again.

It is not necessary to exercise your injured hip to promote healing. The controlled trauma sustained through THR will heal on its own. Often though, we're impatient and want to move the process along. In doing so we run the risk of struggling with pain and setbacks stalling the healing process. The best therapy for recovery is walking, but not to excess. Start slowly increasing time and distance incrementally in an effort not to overdo it. Give yourself the TLC you deserve and reap the benefits of a successful recovery.
 
The PT is almost as important for my mental state as it is for my body. I’m walking a lot, every day, but I am craving other movement. Been doing some upper body with fairly light weights and resistance bands (with doctor ok) and it feels so good to blast some music and fire up some muscles. At PT, half the session is just my physio working on the scar and the muscles and tendons around my knee, then about 15 or 20 minutes of some squats, step ups on a very low platform, some crab walks with light resistance band. Super easy, and fun for me. It’s a ten minute walk from my apartment and I feel so much better when I head back home. That I’m able to do this means everything to me and I don’t feel I’m at risk at all. Just a little bit more each day.
 
I do understand. Exercise plays a big part in mental well being for many. It's good to read that you're walking and enjoying it. Upper body workouts are beneficial, we certainly realize the value in good upper body strength early in our recovery. Please be mindful though of excessive step ups, as well as squats, as both can cause generalized tendinitis particularly in quads, glutes and hamstrings. I'd also advise you go very easy on the resistance bands, which it sounds like you're doing. Take cues from your body in regard to pain, respecting your current limitations and allowing your leg time to heal from the controlled trauma of this major surgery. Then you'll be golden! :egypdance:

You're one month post op, to date, tomorrow. Happy One Month Anniversary! I hope you have a nice weekend, Sohowarrior!
@Sohowarrior
 
I am released! Had a perfect x ray and six week follow up today, told to come back in two years. Given a few minor modifications like on inward rotation but otherwise anything I want. Nonetheless easing in slowly although I’m going to clip in and spin later today. Going to a few Pilates sessions specifically geared for THR patients in recovery, which sounds interesting to me and worth trying before I go back to my regular teachers. Some golf this weekend but only short game to start. Maybe hit from the tee in two weeks. But I have my life back and feeling very grateful!
 
Just to clarify. I am thrilled to start recovery but I am chastened. I’m two years older and I hope a little wiser. I know I can get back to where I want to be from a fitness perspective but at age 69, it will take some patience, time and grit. I have friends battling far more serious illnesses now and I feel so lucky that my orthopedic issues pale in comparison.
 
I know I can get back to where I want to be from a fitness perspective but at age 69, it will take some patience, time and grit
My favorite part. :wink:

Take it slow / easy and enjoy along the way.
Happy Weekend!
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary! :wave:
I hope all is well and you're enjoying the progress you're making.
Have a great week!
@Sohowarrior
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re having a great Summer. :SUNsmile:
@Sohowarrior
 
Thank you, I’m doing really well. Still have some hip flexor tightness and my right knee is getting cranky from time to time but I’ve and Tylenol continue to work wonders.
 
Just to clarify. I am thrilled to start recovery but I am chastened. I’m two years older and I hope a little wiser. I know I can get back to where I want to be from a fitness perspective but at age 69, it will take some patience, time and grit. I have friends battling far more serious illnesses now and I feel so lucky that my orthopedic issues pale in comparison.
I am just reading this and can relate so very much. there's nothing worse than turning down an invite to do something physical due to my own limitations. But honestly? It's even worse to say yes and injure something further and slow myself down even more. :gaah:
I have some friends trying to get me into a pilates class but I know it's more advanced that I can do currently, with my neck and spine issues. So I am doing a gentle Pilates at home with a hoe course and using a HUGE amount of patience. Oh and ice afterward.
But you and I both will be stronger in 6 months.. and will be so proud, won't we??
 
Popping on again because I’m dealing with an issue which I certainly did not expect: specifically, telegan effluvium (hair loss), which my dermatologist says was likely triggered by my surgery in April. I started to notice it in June, and it got progressively worse but thankfully not horrible. Thought perhaps it was due to Metoprolol, a beta blocker which can cause hair loss and thinning. Switched to Carvedilol, but my dermatologist thinks the beta blocker was not the culprit, but the surgery was.
What am I doing? Not panicking. TE generally resolves on its own but it may take six months or more. I’m using topical minoxidil along with some plant based serums and I’ve tried some shampoos which I like, specifically Virtue Flourish and Vegamour.
As for my revised hip, so far it’s holding up quite well. No issues, I’m back to golf, Pilates and my spin bike. But I had no clue that surgery could trigger TE. Live and learn.
 
@Sohowarrior So glad to hear that your revision is doing well and has allowed you to get back to the activities you enjoy. It's unfortunate that TE was triggered but not unheard of. It's so random sometimes how our bodies react to stress whether physical or otherwise. I guess it will be a wait and see here but I'm glad you found some products that you like and hopefully, will help. Drop by again and keep us updated. We love to hear stories of successful revisions. They can help those going through similar situations to be encouraged. Best wishes to you going forward.
 
Thank you. Just got back blood work and all is well, no iron deficiency etc so just TE. Bathroom is filled with hair growth products but I know it could be so much worse!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom