THR One month today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the same problem @hipalonghopalong...couldn't sit anywhere comfortably for more than 10 minutes post THR....it took me some weeks to find a comfy very upright chair that I could relax in.....I found my bed was the most comfy...was able to stretch out. All these things pass in time....it's that patience thing, I'm afraid!!...Hope all goes well for you...Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@hipalonghopalong, just a little "haha" for your Saturday...Several years ago while dealing with my Mom (Alzheimers & broken hip), a business, trying to keep hubby & dog happy, I remember vividly praying for patience and asking God to "slow me down"...

Be careful what you pray for....just saying....:heehee:
 
So the only issue I seem to be having is that I can't find a chair to sit in for any length of time. My leg feels too tight and the back of the seat feels too short I've tried several different chairs so I sit for a few minutes then walk then climb back into bed to sit up there or stretch out. I know it's still very fresh but I need to get outta bed soon. I am elevating and icing so will continue this for the weekend. Anyone rise have any issues with this?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

I was able to get a prescription from my primary care doc for a hospital bed in my home. Insurance is paying for a good portion of the cost (which my wife has not mentioned to me) and the advantage is that I can hop into it and use it like an adjustable recliner chair. Any other chair gets uncomfortable in about 5 minutes. The advice of my home PT person is to use a chair with very little “give” in its seat. I.e., use the stiffest cushion that you can stand to avoid shifting your still-tender body around too much.

Congratulations on your successful surgery and best of luck on your recovery journey!
 
Well it's day 5 and I am still pretty weak and tired. I try to eat as much as I can which is not a lot because my gut has been slow moving. Prune juice, water, stool softeners, fruit, even tried water and corn syrup. Today I will try a different softener maybe this no name brand is " get what you pay " brand haha. Lots of little whiney complaints today. My arms and shoulders are sorer then my hip go figure. Oh well this " too shall pass" in more ways then one
Off for Naptime don't want to get in the way of my husband cleaning. Cheerio all you new hipsters. Thanks for listening to my whine!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Phillips Milk of Magnesia will work in about 2-3 hours.
On the worst day of it I did have to take it twice to work.....
 
Hello fellow Hipsters.so I am one week post op. Generally feeling pretty good . An average of 2 hrs in and out of chairs some stairs then I need to stretch it out again. Last night I starrted getttimg muscle spasms and restless leg. So after I went back on my hydromorphone and some gentle leg massage I finally fell asleep. Seeems the more I do of course the more the muscles are working. But everyone around is so surprised at how well I can walk even short distances without a crutch. My leftside sure looks "wide" . Hope thats not a permanant look!!! ")
Anyways time and exercise and it all gets stronger.
 
@hipalonghopalong, I can't wait until I'm a week post-op! Keep up the good work, rest, ice, elevate, take pain meds, and you'll be cheering me on in no time!
 
Hello from canada and cottage country. We drove up early Friday afternoon after arranging the car with pillows etc. I was very comfy for the 2 hr drive. Stopped half way and stretched. The calmness, fresh air , and sunshine has felt wonderful. I am still lopsided as the surgeon left the operated leg slightly longer and says when the muscles shorten up it will be good. I hope so because I walk like an orangutan (sp?) still finding the need to call it a day around 9 pm. Reading and stretching it out feels good by then and necessary. I will be 2 weeks post op this coming Tuesday I see the dr Wednesday for staple removal. Then I plan on having the worlds longest shower!!! Sunscreen and mosquito spray along with some natural sweat ( uggg sticky) has made today a double sponge bath day !
Well happy rest of the weekend Hippies. I'll let you know how Wednesdays appointment goes.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hello Hippsters....I had my LTHR( ceramic) one month today. Recovery has been really good with a few minor issues. I have been walking without any aids really since week 2 with the exception of when I am at the cottage then I use a walking stick on the wonky trails, and I started driving short distances yesterday. We have 13 stairs in the house and I have started to walk them up and down normally which has been great rehab for my weakened quads and hamstrings.
I still have a slight leg length discrepancy but I still anticipate that this will even out once the muscles shorten and heal ( as the doc promised). I still am not the most comfortable sitting for too long, but the issue tends to be with my lower back not my hip.
The only other hurdle is sleeping. About an hour after I am in bed I get restless legs. I am not sure if it is just due to the fact that I am "stuck" in only 2 positions, back or right side with a pillow. But after about an hr of tossing I seems to fall back asleep. Unfortunately it is never for the entire night but I was always a light sleeper.
When I get all "cleaned up" everyone says it look like recovery has been so quick and easy and considering what the surgery entails I guess that is true. But internally and physically I still tire. I have started working remotely from home to keep my "head in the game" so to speak but can't imagine sitting in an office again anytime soon or getting in and out of my car on a regular basis. BUT in saying that if the healing recovery process continues on this path then the next 4 weeks I should be "good to go"!
I would love to hear from anyone else at this point of healing and feel free to share what your experiences have been to this point.
Have a wonderful day
Ingrid ( aka Hipalonghopalong)
 
Ingrid,

Sounds great. I have had the same experience as you: I am 3 weeks (and a day) from surgery, I am walking unaided in my house but I take my single crutch outside for safety. I too suffer from the tired feeling. I get up, eat breakfast, do some reading and the NYT puzzle, then I do my PT. I catch up on mail and a few chores in the morning after PT. After lunch I am usually very tired, so I turn on the TV, lie down and pass out for an hour or two or three. I start outpatient PT probably next week.

This is my second THR, my first went much the same. I expect that after a month of outpatient PT, I will start to forget the hip and the pain. I did last time. Anyone wavering about replacing a hip should read your comments and mine here. This time goes by quickly, and after it is all done, the hips are no longer a terrible liability.

Keep up the great recovery!

Mark
 
Thank you @MarkK for your response. I am going to start PT next week so that should definitely help. The home Pt exercises they sent me home with are enough to start with but certainly not enough to really get things going. I want to walk the block and dance in a month.. maybe a short game of golf??
 
[Bonesmart.org] One month today
@hipalonghopalong, You may notice that I have merged your two threads. We like to keep our members' recovery posts all in a single thread. That way it's easy for us to go back and read your history before responding to a question or concern. In addition, the thread becomes a journal of your recovery for those who come along later and want to read about you. So, please post in this thread from now on when you want to give an update or ask a question. If you decide you'd like a different thread title at any point, you can change it using the Thread Tools button at the top right of the page or just post what you want here and we'll get it changed for you. THANKS!

You may also notice that I have changed your title to the one you used for your second thread.
 
Thank you @MarkK for your response. I am going to start PT next week so that should definitely help. The home Pt exercises they sent me home with are enough to start with but certainly not enough to really get things going. I want to walk the block and dance in a month.. maybe a short game of golf??

In my part of North America, they send a physical therapist (and a nurse) to your home the day after surgery, and the therapist has come about 8 times. It is very very helpful. The outside PT center could not believe I had a hip replaced when they saw me last time.

Golf, did you say golf? I am ready!!!! If all goes well, I will get to play a round or two in the fall, maybe more. I plan to share a cart with my golf buddy before I am ready to play and 'caddie' for him and just hang out.

Best,

Mark
 
I hit the "month" mark yesterday, and can identify with most of what you are doing & not doing. Beginning to go down & up stairs normally, though usually only do 1/2 the staircase that way - walking unaided around the house & deck but using cane on uneven ground or if fatigued - minor leg length discrepancy (op side slightly longer) but MUCH better than the pre-op where "bad" side was way shorter - lumbar pain is gone - mostly using Tylenol for minor pain relief. Yesterday I was able to make a full (and comfortable) revolution on my recumbent exercise bike, so will begin riding that on a regular basis in addition to continuing my home PT. Riding in a car is still quite uncomfortable, but I will have to try using a firm cushion and see if that helps. I think I'm about ready to drive, but when I practiced in my large driveway today, I hit the gas instead of the brake, LOL, so maybe I will wait a few more days! It's as if my leg has no "muscle memory" of how far to move. Besides, like you, I still tire easily, so since I have people willing to pick up necessities for me, why rush it. I do feel that every week is a huge improvement, so the next few weeks should make a big difference.
 
@PA Gal -- Sounds like you are doing well too. I've driven a tiny bit, no problems. My first real drive (about 5 miles) comes Friday, but I am ready. Sitting has not been a problem for me for about 10 days, thank goodness.

Mark
 
@MarkK, I live a little bit out in the boonies, so to go anywhere other than the local P.O. or convenience store, I have to be able to drive at least 24 miles plus have enough strength, energy and possible pain tolerance to run whatever errands or shopping I may need. I live alone, so my friends have been a great help. Couldn't have done it without them! My strategy was to never overload any one person, but to spread the errands & chores out in small manageable "bites" so nobody got tired of helping, lol.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom