Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* One Good Leg.

Hiya how is you doing? Hope your having a good holiday weekend. Xxx


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
I just spoke to the wife of a friend who had a TKR with my OS Wednesday. He had a lot of damage from his partial that was loose and not in place any longer. She saidthe stem that was placed in his bone has holes in it to allow the bone to grow into the replacement. Has anyone else had this and is this common place now, @Josephine ?
 
That sort of hardware is used when the implant is uncemented. It does take time for the bone to grow into the implant.
 
Thanks Celle, I know mine was cemented. Not sure why cement wasn't used for his implant, but I know there was a lot of damage from the partial, a cyst removal, a possible infection, as well as needing a rod along with the TKR. He's non-weight bearing for two weeks.
 
Wow. Them partial is bad. Sorry to hear that. And hope u are doing well.


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
I'm doing well @Angel1978 . Heading to vacation at the shore for a while and praying both my new knee and my old knee hold out in the sand. Packing wears me out though!
 
Have great trip.
Make sure u get plenty rest. And I'ce and elevate.

I plan at end month take kids camp and kings island. Both same weekend. Just hope legs hold up. Xxxx


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Have fun, Karri. It sounds like a wonderful trip.

I wonder why they sometimes cement and sometimes don't. Just curious.

Roxie
 
Have a great trip! Packing is the hardest part... Hope it's pure R&R from here on out!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Not sure why cement wasn't used for his implant, but I know there was a lot of damage from the partial, a cyst removal, a possible infection, as well as needing a rod along with the TKR
Well, I know I wouldn't have an uncemented knee as they have very poor stats of good outcomes. However, if he had a stemmed implant as well, that might make a bit of difference. Uncementeds are very successful in hips but not knees as the function of the knee is totally different to that of the hip.

If you're interested, this article explains how those 'holes' work Cemented and uncemented hips
 
I'm going to ask if they used cement also. She just told me about the holes in the implant, Celle said that's when they don't use cement. Is that always the case with that type of implant?
This was a revision from a partial for him. I wonder if it could be because there was so much damage to the bone. The OS pushed the surgery up because he felt the bone could come right through the skin and said he didn't know how he was walking on it. The friend was using crutches for the weeks leading up to the TKE.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So four days of walking in the sand. I'm pretty sure I feel it in both my knees and quads. It's not pain, just a different tight kind of feeling. I know walking in the sand uses muscles I don't usually use. I am keeping my sand walking to a minimum, once down to the beach and once back up. The beach was widened since I was here last, so it is a long walk. Luckily the kids carry chairs, cooler, etc. but I'm so thankful for a relatively pain free week so far! It's what I've been praying for.
 
Good to hear you're having a great vacation!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
Thanks @tigz and @Kansas Teacher . I'm home now and no worse for wear, which was my prayer. Definitely did more walking than usual and got 15 laps in every day as well, just relaxing after getting in another 15 laps today. The antibiotic I'm on is sun sensitive so I was covered up or under an umbrella much of the day. It's such a strange feeling, the sun on my skin actually feels like needles pricking. I load up with SPF, but when that feeling happens I cover with my towel.
 
Hi @KarriB,

I had MRSA, staph that is resistant to Antibotics. One of the best things I do for balance is yoga! I have had both knees replaced, so I understand frustration. i never used a cane, but was on crutches. use the cane for stability.
 
@RestAssured I've read some of your thread and will say you were put through the ringer! My family and many others prayed I wouldn't have to go through the antibiotic spacer surgery and that the antibiotics would work. It took a month of both oral and IV but eventually a miracle occurred, the leg stopped seeping and my labs were good. God answered our prayer! The antibiotics they gave me at first were the same used for MRSA,(oral rafapim and I can't remember the IV drug) in fact the Drs. were so sure it was MRSA they put me in isolation until the cultures grew. An infectious disease PA kept coming into my room and talking as if I had MRSA. I would ask if the cultures were back and showed MRSA, she said, no. I told her to please not visit me again until you can tell me what the cultures grew. Never saw her again. Are you still on an antibiotic?

As long as I'm on flat surfaces I do ok without the cane, but curbs, steps etc., I still need the cane and I used one to walk in the sand last week.
 
So glad you're home, Karri, and that you did well in the sand. I remember that even before I had a bad knee, I had some pain from walking in the sand because it does use different muscles. It's probably very good exercise if you were able to do it year round on a regular basis.

When do you go back to school? I'm so glad I'm not facing that this year but don't mean to rub it in.

Welcome back.

Roxie
 
Sand is so hard to walk on- glad you fared well! It's nice to take a vacation and enjoy it, truly enjoy it. Hoping for that on our trip in November.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Back
Top Bottom