Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* One Good Leg.

I haven't tried cortisone. Honestly, I can't imagine where the needle will go in my foot! This has been going on since November 2013. Ice helped and I have socks with super thick soles that I wear anytime I'm home, but shopping is the worst. I'm hoping it goes away soon. Thanks for all your kind words!
 
May I ask what that is you have? If I'm not mistake my aunt had that. They had to cut something off her in sterol room. Glad ya doin well other than that. Great news. Tell u these knee act up. I told the lady I spoke to today to make 2nd opinion apt again. The knee is like rebellious kids who don't get there way lol. Or the twins in the terrible 2s who don't get same treatment lol. Lawd I'm crazy.

Anyways cane is good idea for other knee. I look funny on one lol.


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
My husband used to get cortisone injections in his heel for treatment. Painful but helped.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Angel1978 i have plantar fasciitis in my right heel. It's strange that I developed it while I was working at elevating my right leg, but because of the infection on top of the TKR I had my right leg elevated for a long time. Apparently toes pointing up in a stretched out position for extended time can lead to plantar fasciitis. Last year I thought it had something to do with the nerve block because I couldn't stand to have anything touch my heel. Finally after someone on BS suggested plantar fasciitis the dr agreed and said I could try a cortisone shot. But I haven't done that yet.
 
I haven't tried cortisone. Honestly, I can't imagine where the needle will go in my foot!
I had cortisone in both heels a while ago, and it is not fun. Many OS's and podiatrists are now shying away from cortisone injections for PF.

i have plantar fasciitis in my right heel.
Stretching, stretching, and stretching has helped me, along with ice and a good pair of orthotics. I even have orthotics in my cycling shoes!

Seriously, though, my OS and the trainer at the high school where I used to teach showed me great stretches that have alleviated much of my PF pain.
 
Oh wow I did not know that. That makes me a bit worried. My feet hurt often. Was told it was neuropathy. But I don't know. Thanks for the update. Hope all is well other than that.

I will tell you cortisone ouch ouch hurts bad. It's the biggest needle I saw lol. And wow u def fill it. Haha

But if u do it. I pray that it helpez. I had them and I was a big baby lol. Xxx


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
@referee54 i am doing the stretches and doing some in the pool. I'm icing with a frozen water bottle also. Just don't think I can do the shot in my heel. Years ago I let a dr sew up a cut in my finger with no novicane because the needle was bigger than my finger. I keep telling myself I've gone through a TKR, I can do anything!
 
Just don't think I can do the shot in my heel.
When I had mine, they heard me swear and scream in the waiting room!

Stretch in the AM when you get up, stretch before lunch, stretch after lunch, stretch before dinner, and stretch before you go to bed.

I also stretch before I umpire a game, too. The orthotics that I have in my shoes help a great deal.

The one stretch that I do that works the best is to put my toes up on the wall with my heel on the floor and try to straighten my leg upright/vertical.
 
Thanks @referee54 and @tigz I'll try to stretch more often and that devise looks like something I might try. Is it normal for my calf to be loose and not have a hard time stretching? I have no pain or discomfort in my leg at all. It's all heel pain.
 
I found stretching (pulling my toes toward my knees) before getting out of bed in the morning helped those first few painful steps, then doing the same thing leaning toward a wall getting as good a stretch as possible helped.

I did have a cortisone shot once many years ago, and that was strange, but, frankly, I think the stretching will eventually work for you. It can take six months or more for it to heal, so be patient.
 
@PolarBear60 last night I did the stretch you suggested (pulling toes to knees) every time I woke up and in the morning. Wow! My heel felt so much better, just lying in bed and when I went to get up. Guess I have to be as proactive with plantar fasciitis as I was with my TKR. Thanks everyone for your suggestions!
 
You can also use this---it is called a Pro Stretch. I use before I umpire every ballgame---and I use it often at night at home.
[Bonesmart.org] One Good Leg.
 
The link I posted to that stretcher thingie basically is doing the same thing. It isn't expensive, but if you're getting the stretch without it... you don't need it!
 
I looked at the pro stretch last night. I wasn't stretching as often as I guess I should. So if more consistent stretching doesn't help I'll be ordering this for sure.
 
So glad you got some relief. I have a bevy of isometric stretching I do as I wake up in the morning to get everything moving. I don't even have to think about it -- just stretch whatever is tight before getting out of bed.
 
Another thing you can do is ice. Find an empty 20 oz Coke bottle, put water in and freeze. While you're sitting somewhere, pull the Coke bottle out and roll it on the floor under your foot. You can use other bottles, but Coke's contour fits the arch of the foot better.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
I've been using a water bottle, but never thought about Coke. I'm a Pepsi drinker...:heehee:
But you're right my foot would fit right in the indentation. I may have to drink one bottle of Coke. Thanks!
 
I'm a Pepsi drinker, too, so I understand the sacrifice!


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
I had cortisone injections for plantar fascitis and it did not hurt at all. My podiatrist had his assistant shoot a stream of some sort of "freezing" substance at the injection site while he inserted the very long needle. Since then I have been pretty good about doing the same kinds of stretching exercises you are doing, and it has been about ten years since it bothered me. The cortisone was a good jump-start, though. Good luck! And thanks so much for posting your recovery experience. I hope I will still have a sense of humor as you seem to, when I reach the other side.
 
Back
Top Bottom