Knee Infection* One Good Leg.

My infectious diseas dr. said she would be putting me on a stronger antibiotic before my LTKR and probably IV antibiotics for a few weeks after the surgery. All my bloodwork comes back ok twice a year now, but she doesn't want to take a chance on both knees getting infected. Thus, my decision to hold off as long as I can.
 
Well we must follow docs orders to be cautious. I hope it all works out for you. And you don't get no infections. I'm glad that they have the iv clinic. That is what has helped a lot. I know they had a national world wide crisis. Where vanakamision antibiotic for iv was not available. They had to many sick. So they had to get next highest. Thank God I was not in that bunch. They got 2 bags instead of 1. But it helped.

But that is probley smart for you to do. I would if I was you. That is a good doctor to do that. You have to do what you think is best to have a successful recovery. The knee replace or any procedure need time to recover. And bodys won't recover if we battling infection. And we cant recover good if we have set backs. It olny makes us bum out. And makes us say I wish I did not do this. Believe me I did... And any infection can make it hard.

I think it's a good idea to have infection disease doctor if we are prone to infections. But sometimes we don't know. I told the doc in April when I was in hospital. This knee was stupid seen my body is weak. Wish I'd not did it. She said to me. Don't say that. It will be worth it in the end u will see. As she and everyone said. It's a long roller coaster . Once we get up the hills,around the turns,throng the loops,and through the tunnels,we will see as we get down the hill and to the end. We made it and we can enjoy life. We may have been scared to buckle in. And hesitant to close our eyes. But we did it. And know we can enjoy life. It may take us time. But we must set goals and keep positive.

No matter what life throws at us or as we say knee/or other procedure. We must take it one day at a time. Don't over do it. Don't worry about it. We can do it. If it hurts we don't do it. And life will be so much easier at our speed. We don't need to be afraid to ask questions,-ask for advice. If some one don't know it. They will find out.

Like the doctors option to change and add stronger antibiotics or put you on iv therapy. Hands up for her. And hands up for you to. For wanting to get and keep your self healthy and prevent problems before and after procedure. Your lucky cuz some doctors don't take precautions,till Something happenes.

And me I think that is where doctors and patients clash... Not olny that it's lack of communication. And not being mean but some is out for that weekly check. There is doctors who go above to help.

See my thread. In Dec partial. Trouble pain. Ask here for help. Jamie found me a doc. I went he was full. Said my implant was not good among other issues. And I wow have had to get records transferred. Start process all over and wait. And I was in agony. I went back. Said look I went to another doc and they said problem with implant. So he has students in there. They was scared never saw it. Pop loud lock and throw me forward. Constant pain. Painful X-ray and he changed Attitude quickly. Gave me pain Meds called ins got set up for sugury. Got me pt for relief. Which was agony. Was apologetic and still is. Got convention/revision and I am almost pain free. Don't get me wrong I have good days and bad days. And sometimes worse than others. But I look on here to see what tips I can use to help me.

But my point is go for it. Don't let no one stop you. Watch ins there tricky. They like to say (it's not a medical necessity,or medically necessary) you know what is best for your body.



That is scary. About infections. I know here in ky they give you a week worth antibiotics by mouth. And a cream musprin/ you use it up both nostrils a week 2x day last dose is night before sugary. And omg it stinks and is thick as Vaseline.

And day of sugary they give u a huge bag of antibiotics.
And then you have a bag a day till your released. Then a shot of antibiotics before you leave. Not to mention a blood thinner shot a few time day in belly.

But some doctors like to prove my infections. I know we have a iv clinic here. And if I get sick again. He said he wants me on it for 2 weeks. I been sick a lot. I know in mid March till a week in April. I was a wreck. Almost got put in for few days with iv antibiotics and steroids. They don't mess around here when you have knee replace..


I hope your doing ok. And not worrying or getting down. Thinking of the past problems aspirated with knee replace. Set your mind to positive attitude. Say ok I am going to do this. And I am not going to get no kind infection. I am going to have a great recovery with no set backs.

I will be running,dancing,climbing mountains,swimming,walking,
squating,scuba diving,the day I am released from hospital. And while I'm in the hospital I will have the entire ortho ward out in hall doing excerise 3 times a day while the staff notates it.(JUST KIDDING) hope this eases your mind. And takes the worry off of any sadness your facing toward your procedure.

By the way your thread is awesome. I've enjoyed reading it.

I hope you had a great happy peaceful relaxing Mothers Day!! Xxx


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Angel1978 Getting ready for school now, but not getting down. I just think and pray that God allows the next TKR to be problem free. We really prayed the infection out of me, even my dr was saying to keep praying. I shop, ride my bike, teach 1st grade and once the pools open I'll be swimming 20 laps a day.
I am curious about how others handle infection with 2nd TKRs and how likely infection is. Really don't want to go the whole antibiotic spacer route. But until then, I'm living my life and thinking about doing some traveling which I haven't done since before my TKRS. Have a good day!
 
@Angel1978 Getting ready for school now, but not getting down. I just think and pray that God allows the next TKR to be problem free. We really prayed the infection out of me, even my dr was saying to keep praying. I shop, ride my bike, teach 1st grade and once the pools open I'll be swimming 20 laps a day.
I am curious about how others handle infection with 2nd TKRs and how likely infection is. Really don't want to go the whole antibiotic spacer route. But until then, I'm living my life and thinking about doing some traveling which I haven't done since before my TKRS. Have a good day!




Pray that is answer. I olny had infection when I was sick. But it never made it to knee. Thank goodness. Just be careful and don't let your other knee get to bad. Xxxx


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
May I ask did you have any signs of the infection?
 
@Bilbo monday night Nov. 25th (about a month after TKR) I got the chills, had blankets and electric throws piled on me. The next day, Tuesday I thought I had the flu. Just slept off and on all day and would allow no one to help me because I didn't want anyone sick for Thanksgiving. But Tuesday night into Wednesday my leg seeped all night long, my sheets and bedding were soaked. Wednesday I woke up, called my OS office, by that point every time I put my leg down pus ran down it in a stream.

I was in surgery Thanksgiving Eve with a revision specialist I hadn't met until that night. He did an antibiotic wash out 2x before closing it. As soon as they began taking out the staples weeks later the seeping started again, while on 2 different antibiotics. Lots and lots of prayer and a month later, December 26, the seeping stopped.

It wasn't till February that I remembered I had slit my leg open while on vacation in July. My leg seeped as it healed. I believe that's where the infection originated.
 
Bless your heart that sounds like you really had a hard time with it. Just glad it's behind you.
 
I guess I could have said, "yes, there were signs." Instead I gave the whole story! :0
 
@Kansas Teacher not sure about inspirational. I cried and prayed the whole month. Even my dr said to pray, thankfully God answered my prayers. I didn't want to have my knee removed and an antibiotic spacer put in for 6 weeks and then another new knee. But thanks for the kind words and encouragement.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
So today was my second field trip with my new knee. It did great going up and down school bus steps (do you know how high bus steps are?), standing most of the day...but what hurts is my stinkin heel. No one seems to be able to figure out what's going on with it. It definitely stems from my TKR because it tingled then hurt after my first surgery. Oh well, at least neither of my knees hurt.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Karri....you have certainly been through a lot with that knee! So glad things are moving forward for you.

As for your heel pain, have you replaced your shoes since your surgery? If not, try that. Your old shoes all have wear patterns based on your gait before surgery corrected your leg and knee. Even minor wear can impact your foot as you walk and cause pain. New shoes can be good for the body and the soul!
 
My shoes are all new. Unfortunately I'm finding sneakers are the best for my knee and heel. All my old shoes sit in their cubbies. The doctors and chiropractor have no idea what the problem could be.
 
Certainly it wouldn't be infected? You'd think it would do something else if that was the case. Seeping, warm etc. It's also weird that my best friend is also experiencing heel pain.
 
@KarriB -do you think it could be Plantar fasciitis? I had that once, along with tendinitis in my Achilles due to my gait being off from my knee problems. I finally went to a Podiatrist who really helped me, but it took a few months to finally resolve. I iced my heel (yes, ice works for things other than knees!) every evening since I was still working and took ibuprofen. I filled a water bottle with water and froze it, then rolled it back and forth with my heel. It would feel better after that.
 
They say it's not, but I don't know what to do. Could plantar fasciitis have begun while elevating my knee? That's when the tingling and pain began. If I stay off my feet the pain is much less. I have heard about freezing a water bottle and using it to roll under the foot. Perhaps I should give that a try and see if it works. How long does plantar fasciitis hang on?
 
I've had some bouts with Plantar Fasciitis myself and it can last for an extended period of time if not treated. In fact, it can become a chronic problem. Usually the heel pain is greater in the morning or after a period of not being on your feet when you have this problem and it gets better as you walk around and stretch the ligaments.

Rolling the iced water bottle is good. Also it's good to do hamstring stretches by standing about 2 feet away from a wall with your back straight. Place your hands on the wall, keeping your back and legs straight and lean into the wall. You should feel a stretch up the back of your leg. Hold this position for a count of 20. You can do this any time you think of it during the day, but it's especially good first thing in the morning.

It is possible to develop plantar fasciitis if you spend large amounts of time with your toes extended out like you do when lying down. It's the motion of bending your toes upward toward your shin that stretches the ligaments involved. Prolonged toe extension can result in shortening of those ligaments.
 
It is worse in the morning and at the end of a teaching day. On the weekends when I'm not on my feet as much the pain is less. I did spend 2 months with my leg straight out, toes up especially while being in an imbolizer for 6 weeks. Thanks @Jamie and @Gigi32 . I'm putting a water bottle in the freezer now. I'll do anything short of surgery to get rid of this.
 
My heel is feeling better, but that could be because I'm not on it as much with school out. But I just did something a little scary for me...made beach reservations. It has been two years since we went back to our beach, it is what did my right knee in. Walking in the sand put such a strain on my knees my right knee said, "I give up" and by midweek I could barely walk. I'm hoping and praying the same doesn't happen to my left knee. I can't live in fear though...
 
Back
Top Bottom