Guest viewing is limited

TKR On The Recovery Side

Oh, I am enjoying my walker, 6 days post-op. I tried a cane yesterday, but not enough support possible. Am feeling some clicking and crepitus, wondering if this is normal?
 
Yes, a lot of people get clicking. I had that while I was healing and it gradually went away.
 
You are doing so well, @Mrty2019 ! Your ROM is spectacular for two months post-op, way better than mine at 4 months. You're now the Bionic Woman too with your two knees. :yes!:
 
It's hard to think that you are already 2 months post op, and you are doing so well. Like you, I've got an excellent ROM , this 2nd knee, the bend came easily, last Wednesday I measured 132 which even I was surprised at, my only struggle at the moment is getting comfortable in bed, I spend most of the night changing positions, so far I haven't ventured outside of my gates to walk yet as I live in the country and the terrain is very uneven, I might get my husband to drive me to the coast tomorrow and walk the promenade by the sea, as I'm getting cabin fever, it would be good for me to get some sea air and test my new knee walking.
Keep posting as it's good for us all to follow your progress and success xx
 
When I finally started walking my dog again at probably 2 months post-op I stuck to the sidewalks and flat paths too. I've only just recently started venturing on the trails and uneven terrain. (at 4 months post-op)
 
Bonesmart Bikers:

I started riding my bike short distances this spring and my latest TKR felt good. However, starting longer rides I have run into an odd problem that I think is caused by thinking too much. I fear that I will wreck my bike and damage my knees which has made it impossible for me to get on my bike. I go to the garage and just sit on my bike from time-to-tiime.

BTW, I rode my bike following my first knee replacement right up until my second knee replacement. I could actually ride better than I could walk.

About 6 years ago I had my only adult bike fall which caused back pain for several weeks, but no broken bones. I decided to switch to a dutch bike - a Biria easy loader as shown in the photo which I just love. However, I will be 70 and have had two TKRs. Should I hang up my bike? Thanks for your thoughts and ideas!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] On The Recovery Side
    8A8D8F89-4707-40FE-8A53-59A13BBA45EA.jpeg
    98.2 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Bonesmart Bikers:

I started riding my bike short distances this spring and my latest TKR felt good. However, starting longer rides I have run into an odd problem that I think is caused by thinking too much. I fear that I will wreck my bike and damage my knees which has made it impossible for me to get on my bike. I go to the garage and just sit on my bike from time-to-tiime.

About 6 years ago I had my only adult bike fall which caused back pain for several weeks, but no broken bones. I decided to switch to a dutch bike - a Biria easy loader as shown in the photo which I just love. However, I will be 70 and have had two TKRs. Should I hang up my bike? Thanks for your thoughts and ideas!
I love my bike. But keep forgetting which leg to put down when stopping.
My knees feel good biking.
Don't hang the bike up.
 
Funny - I have had the same problem on which leg to put down. To complicate matters, I had my bike serviced and they replaced the brake pads and they are grabby compared to how they were before.

My legs both feel good biking. It seems to stretch my knees out. I am going to take a break for a few days and distance myself from my fear and give it another try on an easy ride. Thx.
 
I understand the fear of falling and damaging your knee(s) and thus avoiding activities that may cause a fall. My OS told me once that it's actually very hard to damage a knee implant; they're apparently pretty strong. Yes, you could fall, but most likely any damage would be to tissue, skin, etc. But that's true whether you have a knee implant or not. That doesn't guarantee it could never happen, but from what he told me, it'd take something major to cause damage to the implant itself. My advice is to wear a helmet, and enjoy your leisurely rides. Just remember, you're still in the first year of healing with your right knee so it may grumble at you; listen to it and don't force it past what it's ready for.
 
Thanks for the good advice. I know sitting on the sofa has its own risks. And yes I always wear a helmet.
 
I will be 70 and have had two TKRs. Should I hang up my bike?
I am 70 and had BTKR 10 years ago. No, don't hang up the bike
I fear that I will wreck my bike and damage my knees which has made it impossible for me to get on my bike.
Ride 10 yards today. Then 11 yards tomorrow...
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom