Guest viewing is limited

TKR On The Recovery Side

@Roy Gardiner Yes when I got back on my bike in the spring I focused on how my knee(s) were doing. When I started my usual 5 mile ride I became fearful. I shouldn’t have had my bike serviced. My brakes are new and grabby plus I didn’t realize they had raised my seat probably to test drive which I didn’t immediately realize.

At one point over the years I think you mentioned a trainer to allow me to make my bike stationary. If this phobia persist, I might try that but they all look expensive and complicated. Thx
 
Many static trainers are indeed complicated and expensive. But a simple mechanical one, especially second-hand, should be much less costly

[Bonesmart.org] On The Recovery Side
 
If this problem persists, I will look for one. I sit on my bike in the garage and visualize all the great rides I have had.
 
for what its worth, there are new "virtual reality" cycling apps for bike trainers that have bluetooth. Im not endorsing or pushing either of these and have no connection to the companies but as a triathlete and one withTKR I have used them both when training called for indoors. Zwift and FulGaz. (both have monthly subscriptions so not free), but it really helps break up the monotony of indoor trainers and the reality is amazing.
 
Hello @Mrty2019
Please notice that we have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting. Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here and let us know if you’d like your thread title changed to reflect your latest update and we’ll edit accordingly.
Have a great week!
 
@Roy Gardiner I followed you advice and took very short 20 ft rides yesterday with many start and stops. I visualized my favorite 5 mile ride and today I rode it with lots of stops in the beginning. Thx
 
Last edited:
@Roy Gardiner I followed you advice and took very short 20 ft rides yesterday with many start and stops. I visualized my favorite 5 mile ride and today I rode it with lots of stops in the beginning. Thx
You are welcome, glad to help. But YOU DID IT:yay::cheers:

Next stop:

:bicycle1:
 
When I started my usual 5 mile ride I became fearful. I shouldn’t have had my bike serviced. My brakes are new and grabby plus I didn’t realize they had raised my seat probably to test drive which I didn’t immediately realize.
That's very poor bike servicing. Brakes grab when the blocks (the bits that actually contact the wheel rim) are misaligned. Giving the bike back with the seat (or anything else) misadjusted is just incompetent, too. Maybe find another bike shop?
 
I had my bike in for service about 4 months after my TKR. When I got it back, a friend and I decided to go riding and I got on mine on my driveway and started peddling. When I go to turn the wheel they have left the handlebars loose. I ended up falling on asphalt causing multiple scrapes and bruising. Lesson learned...never trust anybody with my bike!
 
@sistersinhim what a terrible story and my worst fear - falling. I hope you are ok. I had my bike serviced so it would be all ready for me post TKR. I should have just waited.
 
Oh, I'm just fine. This accident happened over 5 years ago. It was written just to be a warning to others. Never take anything for granted. Check out everything!
 
I had my bike in for service about 4 months after my TKR. When I got it back, a friend and I decided to go riding and I got on mine on my driveway and started peddling. When I go to turn the wheel they have left the handlebars loose. I ended up falling on asphalt causing multiple scrapes and bruising. Lesson learned...never trust anybody with my bike!
After reading your horror story, I checked my bike over this morning making sure my brakes and all were properly connected. Sounds like your your knee joint held. Like you, I ride on asphalt paved bike trails. Also I am ringing my bell and calling out to pass earlier than usual. Last summer a woman with a baby carriage and a dog made a u turn right in front of me and I had to do a panic stop and lay my bike down. So many people walk with ear buds in…
 
@Roy Gardiner Followed your suggestions scooting around the neighborhood a few feet at a time and only one neighbor came out to see what was going on. I am back to riding my bike without panic attacks. I do put my leg down to make a 90 degree turn to join another trail and go down a steep hill slowly, BUT I AM BAAACK to enjoying my rides. Thanks so much for your encouragement!!!
 
I got a recumbent bike , so much safer for me . I like that l can stop and just sit without worrying about it tipping over . I just had a 2 stage revision knee surgery due to infection . Just finished the second surgery 4 weeks ago . Not at all ready for biking yet , but will use my husbands exercise bike in the house soon , also a recumbent like they have at the PT office .
 
@LaJudes I have never spoken to anyone who used a recumbent. I will keep that in mind. Thx
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom