Bilateral PKR On the other side

Thank you @Jamie @benne68 and @EalingGran for your kind words. Luckily I have not had sciatic pain, although the initial pain was hideous.
I have 5 spinal exercises set by the physio and do these as instructed once daily after being up and about for a minimum of an hour. I use the two stairs on the landing and shuffle on my bottom to get on the floor, and same in reverse to get up after. I have my phone beside me in case I might get stuck.
One exercise is particularly challenging and I’m meant to do 5, and today (the 3rd day) I managed to get to 4. Little steps.
Next physio appointment on Wednesday. The consultant’s letter arrived today indicating 4 months to get back to where I should be.
I am fed up, I’ve done my absolute best ever since the op. Giving up is not an option but this is hard, especially by myself. I do lots of crafts, which helps, as I can crochet lying down and I’m reading a couple of good books. Gradually I’ll get my life back but not my job. Another new chapter…..
Onwards…..
 
I’m glad you can be here so we may be of help to get you through this rough spot. Don’t hesitate to post when you need to talk. Sending big (((((HUGS))))) from Kansas in the USA.
 
The consultant’s letter arrived today indicating 4 months to get back to where I should be.
I am fed up, I’ve done my absolute best ever since the op. Giving up is not an option but this is hard, especially by myself.
You definitely have done your best. You've been very dedicated to your recovery, especially as a bilateral. Its understandable that this was not your vision of retirement. I do hope you're able to embrace this new found freedom soon and fill your days with your crafts, books and maybe even try something new and different that you've not had the time to try before. I know you'll make the best of it after you adjust to it all a bit more. We will always be here for you, that you can count on. :console2:
 
Thank you @Layla and team.
I’m trying to remain positive whilst still recuperating the spine. Just off for my second walk of the day, then the spinal exercises.
My new job is decluttering: selling, chucking and donating surplus. So long as I can clear one thing a day that’s progress for me.
 
Well thank you @sistersinhim there’s method in this as every time I need to send a parcel I get to walk to the lockers or post office ensuring I get out and use my legs. Then I walk the long way home after.
Every thing which goes lightens the load a smidge.
 
I am full of admiration for your decluttering work. The one thing a day is a good strategy.
Also a good idea to do it before you fully recover. Now I am better and enjoying life again- I always find something more fun to do than clearing things out......
 
Checking in to see how you were doing? Decluttering can sometimes seem so overwhelming to me. I admire your goal of one thing a day, To me that's something very doable.
 
Happy Seven Month Anniversary and Happy Valentine's Day!
Sending a hug and a little BoneSmart love your way on this Saturday. :loveshwr:
Hope its a good day!
@Legseleven
 
Wow, has it been seven months already? You have been through so much and continue to have a great attitude! Fantastic, I think that's half the battle in this recovery.
 
Thank you @Layla and @sistersinhim for your support. It’s been tough, for sure, and the help here has been wonderful.
Although I’m off any additional walking aids now I did take one crutch out with me yesterday as we had ice everywhere and it was a fail safe for me asI had to go to pick up a parcel.
 
The left lateral knee pain, on walking, will be checked again in a few months, and hopefully once the quads are strong a revision to full knee won’t be needed, although it was mentioned today. I’m hoping the next 12 months will see a good recovery of both the spine and the knees
A lot of improvement can happen in the next year.

Things haven’t gone quite as expected and my physio just sent me for a second opinion.
I read some of the above on someone else’s thread but I thought I’d comment here. Why does he think you need a second opinion? To be very honest, 7 months out does seem like forever, but it still a ways to go to the one year mark, and even then, lots of improvement can happen in the second year. Even with my less than hoped for recovery I still had a lot of improvement in my second year, and surprisingly, even more in the third.
 
@Jockette thank you. I hear and appreciate what you’re saying, however my physio has been involved from the start and is very experienced.
 
Quick update in what’s been a hugely physically challenging 2026 so far. My physio was spot on.
The left knee is in a bad way, worsening weekly. :bawl:

New scans show the conclusive breakdown of lateral compartment, plus some other issues. My next appointment is in April. Looking like another op, potentially a revision with tweaks. Probably May/June? I NEVER expected to be here. I worked so hard, planned well and did everything right.
Sit to stand still dire, and this has seriously impacted L4/5. The hope is that R knee will improve over time and the op will make a significant difference to the L. Apparently I also have Patella Alta (high patellas) and this typically affects the transfers. This was never previously mentioned until I saw this second Consultant and I am told my symptoms are classic.
Currently still on physio for the back. Only allowed short walks, multiple times day. No back exercises or leg ones. The back initially improved a lot, and I’d managed a few weeks of exercises, then unfortunately it tweaked again, luckily not quite as bad the second time. Sitting still challenging. More physio next week.
Initially, re the knees I was walking well without a crutch, but now can only do a few minutes, if out for longer then back on the crutch. Yesterday’s final round the block (no crutch) did not go well. See how today goes. It’s a balancing act - knee helped by crutch, low back hindered by it.
Meanwhile I’m trying to remain as active as I can and build myself up for the expected operation. Back to planning again eg fill freezer, will need to arrange help to move bed downstairs again etc etc. it’s groundhog day for sure. :gaah:
I’m trying to remain positive and active, and I keep cheering myself on, but I must admit this is challenging me to the hilt.

Little wins - finally a couple of days of spring weather and I have cleaned the summer house over two days, yay! :flwrysmile:
Ordered some second hand books ready for recovery. This author’s other series got me through the first recovery, especially the nights.
Started some sorting out in the house where things had, not surprisingly, been overlooked. Filing done, now clearing corners of accumulated detritus, a little at a time. I can do this.
Repotting 20 spider plant babies to gift. Pots filled, so now I’ll root and pot a few at a time.
Onwards dear Bonesmarties, there’s no other way.
 
Last edited:
Looking like another op, potentially a revision with tweaks. Probably May/June?
I'm so sorry to read this and sorry that you are struggling with so much pain in your knee and your back.

When you say "revision", is your surgeon recommending a total knee replacement? If so, we do have members who've had success with PRK to TKR revision.

Please keep us posted.
 
It sounds like you'll keeping busy and doing well except for that bratty left knee. Hopefully, it's just lagging behind and taking it's time healing and you won't have to have a revision.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom