Bilateral PKR On the other side

Thanks @Jockette @sistersinhim and @EalingGran
About 2 weeks ago the pain and stiffness increased to the detriment of my day to day life, and the physio’s recommended 8 day anti inflammatory trial was a revelation so this is why we are doing this.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Week 15. Day 110.
This week I saw the physio again. He’s very pleased to hear about the anti inflammatory prescription. Says everything is good. Extension on left somewhat improved, and to carry on with the relaxed extensions daily. He said everything else will be better once the inflammation subsides, and I’ll be off my crutches and upping the activities. Meanwhile to keep doing what I’m doing. Back again in 2 weeks. The consultant had wanted me to start kneeling for a minute at a time, but physio said not until the inflammation eases. I so look forward to the sit to stand transfers being easier and pain free.
It is reassuring, onwards.
 
That all sounds very positive. Good luck!
 
I’m glad to hear your physio had the right recommendation for you about kneeling. There is no hurry for this and you’ll have a lot easier time of it after the inflammation is gone. Also when you start kneeling, be sure you’re doing it on a soft surface like your bed (maybe later on foam or carpet) and I’d start with 15-30 seconds. You’ll be surprised how long those seconds are when you’re first getting started and this will be a lot easier than starting with a full minute. Your goal is to not go beyond mild discomfort with whatever you’re doing.
 
Very creative way to more safely take a good soaking bath. Hooray for you!!! This event should have made the nightly news on television....:heehee:
 
Mnnn.
Sadly after the huge success of the bath I’m awake in the middle of the night with muscle pain. I’ve had weird feeling quads all day, aching a bit like flu, which is why I had the bath, only I don’t have flu or any virus. I think unfortunately it might be the Celecoxib… I’ll stop taking it and see what happens. Only started it on Thursday.
Drat.
Off to find some paracetamol to try to help settle the aches so I can sleep.
What a rollercoaster this is.
 
First bath in almost 4 months. Put a 6” non slip step in the bath to sit on, practised 3 times while dressed
That is brilliant! I couldn't manage that for a couple of months after you- although I didn't think of a step to sit on.
I did practise clothed though. That is a really good idea in case it doesn't work out. Isn't a bath wonderful?
 
Scrub-a-dub-dub! :bath: Lounging in the tub.:wink:
Glad it went well and hope you're having a good Sunday, Legseleven!
Cheers to more relaxing soaks soon.
@Legseleven
 
Thought I'd check in and see how your legs were feeling now. have they settled down? I do wonder if you might have just used muscles differently getting in & out of the tub? Could that be the case for the painful legs? I have no idea, but its just a thought.

Hopefully all has settled down. I wouldn't try kneeling until this has settled down. That will be another use of different muscles. And as Jamie said, start off at something like 25 seconds and build up. A minute is an eternity.
 
Week 16. Day 112.
Thanks @eaglemom for the thoughts, I’m pleased to say the legs are improving. The terrible muscle pain was before the bath, and through the night, that’s why I tried the bath. I’ve not taken any Celecoxib since and that horrible pain has gone away. Just back to paracetamol, as required.
Will try the Celecoxib again next week.
From tomorrow I’m returning to taking ibuprofen 400mg BID, as it’s an important family week with a lot going on, so I don’t need any unwelcome side effects, or additional challenges to cope with on top of everything else.
Thanks all.
Onwards.
 
4 months today. Back from my fortnightly physio. Doing well, still the internal inflammation in the left knee holding on, and inhibiting the quads, despite doing everything right.
Trying celebrex again, started again today. On the first attempt I had awful leg muscle aches after a few days. Here’s hoping this time is ok.
Physio says all will be well, and it’ll come right, he thinks January will see the biggest change, but if the celebrex works out ok, it may be sooner.

Positives:
Physio says my walking is much improved.
I packed up the Cryo Cuffs today, haven’t used for 2 weeks.
The single bed in the lounge will be going back to the spare room as haven’t used it for about ten days. I can always use my bed upstairs if I need to extend the legs. Be good to have the house back to normal.
No crutches used in the house anymore.
I no longer use a crutch on the stairs, and now push harder using my legs, instead of my arms, going upstairs, using handrails less on the up, still use the rails on the down.

Negatives:
Reduced extension of L leg and subsequent quad inhibition. I know it’ll come.
Sit to stand transfers still challenging and stiffness at night still wakes me but I can cope with this.
I’m still off work as it’s a physical job.

On I go. Thanks to all Bone Smarties and best wishes to all those recovering post op.
 
It's being a bit of a slog with the slow extension and the quads affecting transfers, etc, BUT look at that list of can-do's and milestones! That's fabulous! :yes!:
 
I agree with mendogal: you are doing really well ... especially considering you had bilateral surgery.

Remember that, at 4 months, you are only one-third of the way through this year-long recovery. Celebrate the milestones, knowing there are more to come!
 
Lots of positives and the negatives will likely improve over time.
Happy Four Month Anniversary!
@Legseleven
 
Physio says my walking is much improved.
I packed up the Cryo Cuffs today, haven’t used for 2 weeks
It all sounds pretty positive overall especially as you had bilateral surgery.
I carried on with my Cryocuff for over 6 months.
The fact that your physio commented on your improved walking is really good. An improvement in gait will reap lots of benefits in terms of overall pain relief.
Congratulations!
 
Thanks @Layla, @EalingGran, @mendogal and @benne68 much appreciated.
So far, 48 hrs back on Celecoxib and ok to date. Here’s hoping.
I do long for the stiffness and pain on transfers to ease, so I know it’s back to the patience muscle.
Onwards.

PS Another positive I forgot to list is that I can get in the bath, I use a little step in the bath to get in, then I take it out. I can get out without it.
 
Last edited:
Week 19, 4.5 months. Day 137.
Physio again today. Some disappointment from him that the Celecoxib hasn’t had more effect, however there’s still some progress. Perhaps it’ll improve in the next two weeks. The quads both still randomly give way (slightly) when out walking, and I can walk upstairs consecutively all the time, and downstairs consecutively some of the time. Physio says I must hold the bannisters on the stairs on the way down as the quads can still give way, and this could be up to 18m post op. I didn’t know that. I’m trying to use my arms less on the way up and push with the legs more to strengthen them.
Meanwhile it’s getting a little easier to get off the bed, however chairs are still the same. (The bed is a little higher.) Managed to park the car twice and get in and out without a fully wide door. Yay! Huge progress, and I was a little lucky with the spaces.
Given a new exercise to strengthen the left hip, which he explained will help the whole left leg. Adduction 30-50 times twice a day on left. Less on right as it’s already stronger. Started today at 20x2.
Next physio early Jan. Meanwhile I’m to try to continue progress without overdoing and consequent setbacks, and he knows it’s a fine balance. Still not cleared for work, but hoping January will see the change I need to be constantly on my feet.
The weather’s not helping much, but I have a bit of space indoors and lots of stairs when it’s too wet, or slippery.
Onwards and best wishes to all.
 
I think you're making great progress, especially as a bilateral, at only a little over four months post op. The rest will come. Since the average time for complete healing is one year post surgery, you have plenty of time to strengthen and improve your mobility. Keep on keeping on! :walking:
Happy Weekend! :)
@Legseleven
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom