Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral PKR On the other side

Thanks @FleuveStone. I realised in January it’s time for the last move as this house no longer serves me. It may take 1-2 years to get where I want to be but I have to start somewhere and it will be VERY small compared to this one. Once I made the decision to let go, it’s became much easier, but I’ll be challenged over some things all the way. :heehee:
Thanks @EalingGran I will have to ask the consultant when I see him before the op. I did ask about the fact that they’ve seemingly always looked like this but the transfer sit to stand issues only started in 2022. It was as I thought - when the PF joints wore out and became bone on bone. Previous surgeon, when asked by me, had said it was my physiology, and not a lifetime of livestock farming and lambings although he never once mentioned the PAs.
As to getting on with it - many years of cancer treatments with my late hubby gives all sorts of lessons you’d rather not have but make you get on with it, and when you live alone there’s really no choice, although we may all know of some people who get very stuck, I’m just determined it’s just not going to be me. :kayak:
 
Last edited:
I have my trusty cryocuff compression and ice machines which I put frozen bottles in 2-3 x day.
That's what I did. It's so much more convenient. It also saves money in the long run. I was going through 20 lbs of ice every day. That adds up!
 
everyone was busy.
We're always here...lights never go out. So when you need support, encouragement, or simply want to vent, we'll be here. Take it one day at a time and lean on whoever is available when your feeling the need. Better days are ahead. I know that's cold comfort when you're feeling down, but I do believe your surgeon will get this right for you and you'll move forward in comfort and peace.
 
Good one, FleuveStone!

Made me recall one that I like and have shared on the forum a few times over the years -

“Life is amazing and then it's awful. And then it's amazing again. And in between the amazing and the awful it's ordinary and mundane and routine. Breathe in the amazing, hold on through the awful, and relax and exhale during the ordinary. That's just living heartbreaking, soul healing, amazing, awful, ordinary life.
And it's breathtakingly beautiful! L.R. Knost
 
Please can I have your opinions on these?
Lounge Doctor is too expensive to import to Uk.
Thanks very much. Yes I’m awake at silly o’clock!

Leg raisers

IMG_3710.webp



IMG_3711.webp
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good one, FleuveStone!

Made me recall one that I like and have shared on the forum a few times over the years -

“Life is amazing and then it's awful. And then it's amazing again. And in between the amazing and the awful it's ordinary and mundane and routine. Breathe in the amazing, hold on through the awful, and relax and exhale during the ordinary. That's just living heartbreaking, soul healing, amazing, awful, ordinary life.
And it's breathtakingly beautiful! L.R. Knost
ah yes that rings so true, @Layla thank you for sharing!
 
Please can I have your opinions on these?

The first, no. Your leg towards your foot does not continue upwards.

The second looks good, especially allowing a gentle bend in the leg at the knee. You might want to add something under the ankle/lower part of the leg, just to give your leg a bit more of an upward angle.

I’m so sorry you are facing revisions. :console2:
 
Thanks @Jockette for the advice. That’s good because it’s reasonably priced and if I like it I can get a second one for upstairs.
I’m sorry too but as a posse of surgeons have examined all the previous, current scans, operating notes etc I’m accepting their advice and just waiting on a date. The sense of déjà vu is overwhelming. I truly never thought I’d be here!
Continuing with my chores to keep up to date with everything before I’m laid up again, and finished spraying all the garden paths, steps and drive today to stop the moss and algae. Only second time in 7 years. I spread it over 3 sessions and rested my back in between.
Onwards, and I’m going to need you all to help me through this.
Thanks everyone x
 
Last edited:
[Bonesmart.org] My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

This is my wedge. My hospital sent it home with me. It slopes up gradually. You can’t really see it, but there is a slight raised area about where your knee would be that gives a very gentle bend. It is the only elevation option my Drama Queen knee will accept.

I got a lounge Dr (thankfully a friend gave me hers, so it didn’t cost me anything) and I’m sorry to say that Miss Drama Queen Knee quickly rejected it. It didn’t like the angle.

So I’m thankful for my wedge, even though it’s cramping my decorating style, even with the cover I usually have on it. (I guess you can’t have everything) 9 years later I still have to use it, it’s the only lying down position my knee will accept.I don’t know what my insurance paid for it, if indeed it did, but has been worth every penny!
 
I think it really is very personal to our own anatomy. My dodgy hip and back didn't like too much elevation for some reason. I just used a selection of pillows which I gradually reduced to one. It is tricky because you don't want to buy something that doesn't work for you. Maybe try stacking pillows first and then consider something more permanent once you have found the right angle that suits you?
 
Maybe try stacking pillows first and then consider something more permanent once you have found the right angle that suits you?
Great idea, thank you. As you can see it’s another broken night. Still I get a second sleep and all will be well. Last years OS insisted on straight legs!
This time is different.
 
As you can see it’s another broken night. Still I get a second sleep and all will be well.
I feel for you, Legseleven. The choppy sleep can be wearing. Thankfully it shouldn't last forever, once the revision is behind you and things are settling, hopefully your sleep will quickly improve. For now it's getting through one night at a time. I hope you have some really good nights of sleep interspersed with the bad. You're handling something really tough as best you can :console2: and we're here for you!
 
I found a leg rest from backcareonline.co.uk, made by Putnams in the UK for £78.89 that I found very comfortable, it has a washable cover that zips off. Very speedy delivery. Night time I found I couldn't sleep with the wedge, more comfortable on my back with straight leg - yearning for when I could sleep on my side again. Day time rest the wedge is invaluable for under the knee support. Hope you get news soon about your operation.
 
Last years OS insisted on straight legs!
Remember this from the guidelines:

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.
 
Thanks @Jockette, I will.
Thanks @Gwennie i tried this last year, my legs hated it and as I hadn’t unwrapped it I got a refund.
Thanks @Layla I usually have a couple of broken nights a week, it’s just a bit more often right now. This too shall pass. Plus with no more work if my second sleep runs a bit later that’s ok.
 
I'll bet you're torn. I feel I'd be.
Part of me would feel like Let's Go! The other part of me, Nope...Not Ready / Never Will Be!
Easy for me to say, but I'm viewing the TKR as an end to the pain you've been struggling with and the disappointment you've been feeling.
You've been such a dedicated patient, doing all of the right things...it feels unfair, but I know you'll get through it and I feel you'll be better off also. Sticking by you through it all! :thumb:
@Legseleven
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom