Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral PKR On the other side

So sorry to hear that you need further surgery.
Is the patella alta something you are thought to have had all your life- or has it been brought on/ worsened by the previous surgery? Are they going to do a TKR or just try to correct the patella defect?
I really sympathise with your back issues as I have spinal stenosis/ lumbar arthritis/ sciatica. It is a real issue the way dud joints interact and make rehab more complicated.
I know you have worked so hard and it is disappointing to be facing more surgery.
Might be worth having a look on BoneSmart to see who else has had patella alta- put it into the search bar.
 
Thanks @sistersinhim the scans show it all, so sadly no one thinks it’ll just heal. Not me, the second Consultant or my brilliant physio, which is why he referred me on. I wish it would, as every week the knee is worsening - the pain and the symptoms.

Thanks @benne68 I’ll know more after the next appointment, it’s not at all straightforward.

@EalingGran thank you. I have already searched in here for PA, hardly anything.
Here’s hoping and praying for a better outcome.
Thanks for all your help and support.
Onwards again….
 
Hi Legseleven,
I'm really sorry you're facing this. It is a lot to carry. Situations like this can feel overwhelming, but you're showing strength by trusting the community enough to share here. Please know that we're behind you for next steps, ready to support, encourage and walk alongside you through whatever comes next.
Sending love and hugs. :loveshwr: :console2:Keep us posted...we care.
@Legseleven
 
I am praying for a complete and successful outcome for that knee.
 
One of the reasons both of my kneecaps were removed in the 90s was because they were too high. Now, of course, there are other ways of handling that without removing the patellas. My TKR has no kneecap in it, and it's not as strong as a replacement that would have one, but I'm still doing fine!
 
Thank you @sistersinhim, that’s interesting to read. I’ll know a lot more in a couple of weeks. Meanwhile plodding on. Physio says I can only exercise the right leg with one PT exercise, otherwise it’s just short walks often. The low back still isn't right, it is improving slightly, and the left knee gets worse and worse, so I’m back on one crutch if out longer than a few minutes. I’m just about managing my chores and garden, try to do a little bit each day. Plus some more sorting out ticks along in the background. I got rid of lots of books, only now have stocked up on some more ‘new to me’ ones for when I’m recovering again. You couldn’t make it up! They’ll be read and passed on again. There was a good author last time, very good for the nights, so I got some more of hers.
Fuel is getting shorter here, some of the local garages have actually run out, as the oil supplies are severely disrupted, so we may all be walking a lot more soon.
 
Thankfully you're able to accomplish some things by pacing yourself. Good to read that your lower back has improved ever so slightly. I hope the next few weeks fly by so you have more information to go on.

I love to read books although I've been purchasing more than I seem to find the time to finish. I'm great at starting them, but not finishing them. :groan:Wishing you a good week! :friends:
@Legseleven
 
Tomorrow is my remote review appointment. I’m keeping busy today so not to think too much about it.
My back is a little improved so I am able to move a bit more, and do more ADL’s and chores, with some spells flat on the bed in between so not to aggravate it again. My clearing out carries on incrementally. Sending Vinted parcels and advertising items, and so on. So long as I’m progressing with it, even one item or drawer at a time that’s good.
Will update when I know more. I also have physio on the back tomorrow too, which is good because we can discuss the whole situation.
Keeping on keeping on...
 
Will be thinking of you tomorrow! Please keep us in the loop.
I hope the appointment goes well, you trust the advice you receive and feel confident about next steps, whatever that may be. We'll be a constant for you and your biggest cheerleaders.
Hugs and best wishes. :prayer:
@Legseleven
 
So long as I’m progressing with it, even one item or drawer at a time that’s good.
That is a very sensible way to take care of a dreaded chore. Doing slowly allows your knees time to recover from that extra chore.
 
Thanks @Layla and @sistersinhim very much.
I have had my appointment and I’m well shaken and stirred. The consultant was lovely today and explained it all. My scans, X-rays and notes from both last and this year have been shared by my consultant, with my permission, to a group of very senior knee surgeons and there’s no doubt from any of them that revisions are needed. He and they are all confident that it’ll sort everything out. He has also talked with the physio, and he too has reassured me that once the left knee is better my back and whole QOL will improve too, and then we can wait a while to see how the right one copes.
I have agreed to the left knee first, as it’s much the worst, and said I’ll see how I go with the right. I was shaken because I was expecting a revision to the left, but not both!
While I was out on a lovely day trip on Monday, with my crutch, I got properly stuck on a toilet at a friend’s house, completely unable to rise, eventually after a very long time I got myself off, however it’s a horrible experience and no way to live in one’s 60’s. I felt 90.
It’s been a hellish year, so can only get better.
I feel listened to, heard and well looked after. The physio says one at a time is much easier, and they have both said they’ll see me through all of this.
So I’m back on logistics, which is one of my strengths, trying to sort dates around my regular eye treatments. Book furniture men to bring a bed down just before etc etc.
The charity shop will also be getting lots of goodies soon, as what hasn’t sold on Vinted will be donated before I go in for the op.
I’m also going to need you all to help me through this. Ignorance was bliss last time. As you know I gave it my absolute all, and now I have to do it all again, and I’m not as fit as I was. It helps to know some things, but some knowledge for me makes it more challenging, especially I can’t tolerate opioids in any form.
Thanks for reading.
Onwards once again…..
Legs x
 
It's encouraging to read that your consultant was caring listener, and now you know what has to be done. Now, is the time to start planning for your new life that is in your future! Stock up on lots of ice since you can't take the strong pain meds. Ice will do wonders for you. Do you have a date yet?
 
Thanks @sistersinhim we are working on the date, hopefully by next week I will know. Likely May. I have my trusty cryocuff compression and ice machines which I put frozen bottles in 2-3 x day. I used them both for 4.5 months last time. I don’t have enough freezer space for ice, or an ice machine. This way works easily as I can carry the bottles without carrying the whole machine. Thank you again.
 
I am sorry you're struggling with the news. It is understandable. Hopefully you take some comfort in the fact that more than one experienced surgeon agrees that a revision is in order and that they're confident the surgery will resolve the issue.

I am also sorry for the difficult and frustrating experience you had while out on Monday. Thankfully you handled it. These types of situations can happen when we're struggling physically, you're not alone. I can only imagine some of the unfortunate incidents we've never read about, involving naughty words and ugly crying. :wink: That would have been me, lol.:censored: :censored::bawl::censored: :bawl:

It sounds like you'll have several people onboard to watch over and support you post op. A great physio, or two, and of course all of US! We'll be here always. Onward and Upward!

As you're making plans...try to stay focused on the brighter future this revision will bring.
You've been a very dedicated patient and I have every confidence you'll do great!
@Legseleven
 
Thank you @FleuveStone much appreciated and @Layla as always.
I’m hopeful and resigned, trying not to be daunted.
Good news tonight though on the sorting out front as I found a new home for the outgrown cot bed, bedding, high chair and some surplus toys all to go to where they’re really needed, so I’m thrilled it’s all going to be used and most of all enjoyed. It’ll all be collected too.
 
So sorry to hear what you are going through.
Full of admiration for your coping strategies and clearing out work.
Glad the surgeon has a clear plan to remedy things. Did he say anything about how your patella alta arose? It seems quite rare. As you say there isn't much about it here on BoneSmart- which is a bit surprising given how many surgical journeys are documented here. Good luck!
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom