Bilateral PKR On the other side

Week 20 and at last there’s been a slight shift this week in the knees. :flwrysmile:
It feels as if I’m gradually moving off the plateau where it seems like I’ve been marooned for absolutely ages.:friends:
It’s slight, started Tuesday and so far it’s remained. :flwrysmile: A bit less stiffness, a bit less discomfort although after sitting on a lower chair for an hour it’s still hugely challenging to stand up.:groan:

The quads do still misfire at times, however this week’s shift has encouraged some cautious optimism that another chapter is now beginning and, it’s definitely for me, (despite what anyone else may say) a glimmer a light at the end of the tunnel.

I’m still on the Celecoxib and will continue a while longer, the physio and I both want the internal swelling vanquished, and to stay away. :angel:
 
That old recovery squiggle is back. Standing for the hymns in church this morning was a mighty challenge - in the sit to stand part. Still so stiff and so painful. I live in hope for better knees to come and today the light in the tunnel was eclipsed.
Onwards…
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] On the other side
    IMG_3968.webp
    21.9 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Standing for the hymns in church this morning was a mighty challenge. Still so stiff and so painful
Standing was the last thing to come for me.
I could walk 2-3 miles in one go long before I could comfortably stand for more than a few minutes. Don't be discouraged. Happy Christmas!
 
Thanks @EalingGran I meant the sit to stand part. Standing is actually ok for a while. It’s getting up from sitting that’s the worst, worse than before the op and it was one of the reasons for doing it. I’m hopeful it’ll come right yet. Still on Celecoxib 100mg, twice a day.

Edited to add: I have good flexion in both knees and full extension on right, however less extension on left leg. Still doing relaxed extension exercise daily.
 
Last edited:
23 weeks on from the bilateral Patellafemoral replacement and progress in some areas.
Night pain has reduced. I was waking and turning often due to pain and stiffness, this pain hasn’t gone, but it has lessened considerably.
I walk 1.5 miles every day in one go and add in another walk later, so I’m regularly up to 8,000 steps. I still use the crutch a little, either when the pain on the walk increases, or where the pavements are uneven and rough, or I’m in a hurry. Every day I try to use the crutch less so I’m carry it more each day. Walking is not yet pain free, especially on the left, and it feels as if it’s in the lateral compartment
At home I’ve upped my little exercise routines through the day as I try to strengthen my core and hopefully improve my sit to stand which remains immensely challenging with both pain and stiffness. I alternate both chair and standing exercises, a few at a time so I don’t overdo it.
I still cannot sit to stand without using my arms to push up as the knees remain too stiff and painful and I get stuck. I’m hoping this will ease as this was one of the main reasons for the ops.
I have full flexion in both knees and full extension on the right, just not quite full extension on the left. Stairs are consecutive most of the time, both up and down.
Still on Celecoxib 100mg 2 x day. Will stop this next week, for the agreed one week break, to see where I’m at and rest the stomach.
I am hoping that in 6-12 months time everything will settle and be better, and all this just a distant memory. It’s been the slowness of it all that’s hardest to cope with, and the stiffness, especially as I believe I’ve done everything right and yet I’m still unfit for my work, and I know everyone said it takes a year to recover.
Wishing everyone on BS a very :merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:and huge thanks for your help and advice and support over the last five months.
:happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4: To everyone and may 2026 be a safe and healthy year for all, wherever in the world you are.
 
Last edited:
Overall it sounds pretty positive.
It really can feel very slow but so long as you can see progress that's good.
Merry Christmas!
 
Hi Legseleven, it is nice to read an update from you this morning.
Seven months of healing, until your one year anniversary, will undoubtedly bring more strength and stability and reduce the lingering discomfort and pain you're dealing with. The journey can feel long and you're doing everything right, so hang in there and know there are brighter days coming your way.
Merry Christmas and Best Wishes for many blessings in 2026!
@Legseleven
 
Merry Christmas!

Your recovery sounds like it coming along just fine. The yearlong-recovery is normal for most people recovering from this surgery, even partials. Patience was the hardest thing for me to heal from! I bet it is for most people.
 
Hi @Legseleven, Seasons greetings. Just catching up with your post and I do agree with you and others that exercising the patience muscle is the most difficult part of these joint replacement journeys. Your poor knees have been through so much but you do seem too be making progress. Sorry to hear you still have pain and stiffness but I am in awe of how far and how often you are able to walk despite the discomfort!
Best wishes for continuing progress through 2026.
 
:hi: @Legseleven
Stopping by to say Hi and see how the month of January was for you.
I hope 2026 is off to a good start! Let us know how you're doing when you have a minute.
Hope to hear from you soon. :)
 
Thanks @Layla. It’s been a very challenging month for various other reasons.
I see the knee consultant for a 6+ month check up soon and will report after.
Cons: Sit to stand when 90’ or less is still not good, very stiff and painful.
Left lateral compartment pain after walking a bit.
Pros: now done 3 days walking outside with no crutch. Will only use one again if icy, or rough ground but we had the wettest January ever.
 
I'm sorry you had a challenging January, Legseleven. I hope February is a peaceful month for you.
Fingers crossed that with several months to go before your one year anniversary...these issues will resolve. It's wonderful progress that you're walking outside without an assistive device. Sounds like your weather has been unfavorable or unusual, which seems to be common for many this year. It will make Spring all the sweeter. :SUNsmile:
I wish you the best at your upcoming appointment and thank you for sharing your BTKR journey with us.
Will be watching for your next update. Take care!
@Legseleven
 
Hi @Layla et al.
The 6+ month consultation wasn’t the best.
At the end of December I hurt my back - L4/5 herniated disc leading to a lot of rest as I was literally unable to move. The surgeon said that this enforced rest has set my knee recovery back by at least 3 months and has now led to weakened quads. He says the weak quads amplify the sit to stand pain as only one muscle is pulling, not all 4.
Since this week I’m now finally able to do a few daily back exercises and I am held back from doing more by the spine. It’s kind of chicken and egg, and the spine is in charge in the short term. It’s demoralising and hard. I do follow the physio’s instructions implicitly.
I’m back at physio next week and will keep going as best I can. The disc episode was also the last straw for my job, which was quite a physical one, so I’m actually retired now.
The left lateral knee pain, on walking, will be checked again in a few months, and hopefully once the quads are strong a revision to full knee won’t be needed, although it was mentioned today. I’m hoping the next 12 months will see a good recovery of both the spine and the knees and I won’t need to think anymore about anything else until I’ve given it my best shot.
Onwards again, what a journey this is.
Best wishes everyone.
 
Aww, the visit must have felt disheartening, I'm so sorry. :console2: It is unfortunate you're dealing with the back issue as you're trying to heal from BTKR. My heart goes out to you, Legseleven, that's a lot!
I hope being forced to retire for this reason gives you more time to focus on healing. It's a big change. Always remember that we're here for encouragement and support whenever you're in need. Your ability to reset your expectations and allow yourself that extra time due to this setback is admirable. You're taking this in stride and you're a great example of inner strength and emotional resilience. We are with you all the way!
@Legseleven
 
Thank you @Layla very much.
I must admit I’m back under the blankets this afternoon (it’s a bitterly cold and dark grey day with very little light) as I process it all.
Tomorrow is another day and I will just have to pick myself up and carry on. For me there’s no other choice.
 
I’m so sorry to hear all that you’re going through right now. But you have the right approach. Your spine issues take priority. Don’t worry about your knee….it will come along later. It’s just going to take some time. But we’re here for you if you have questions or concerns or just need to talk. Venting about things is needed sometimes and we will always understand your feelings and frustrations.

I hope at some point this forced retirement will be a blessing in disguise. Life happens that way sometimes. As Layla said, you’ll be able to focus completely on your recovery now. If your job was very physical, it would likely have been a bad idea to try and continue with it. And, in the coming months you may discover new interests or possibilities that are available to you. Keep your eyes and your heart open to good things that may come your way. As a person who started a whole new career after retirement, I know this can happen!
 
I'm so sorry to read about your back, @Legseleven, but want you to know that there is light at the end of that tunnel.

Some years ago, I herniated that same disc (L4-L5) and was in horrible pain -- bedridden for days on end. It took time, but it did eventually heal. And with the help of a real great PT and a wonderful yoga instructor, I have been able to rebuild the muscle strength in my core to support the weakened back. It rarely bothers me these days, although I am still cautious about heavy lifting.

Give yourself time to heal. And stick with us -- we are here for you.
 
I am so sorry to hear of your troubles. I sympathise as I have lumbar arthritis and spinal stenosis with episodes of sciatica.
I remember getting stuck in a situation where I couldn't do the exercises I needed for my back because of my knee. It must be harder for you with bilateral surgery- as I could fairly early on get down on the floor using my good knee.
Have a look at my pilates teacher's lower back video on Instagram ( Google Katja pilates lower back) and see what's possible for your situation. I try to do some lower back/ core and glutes work at least 3-4/ week even at over 3 years.
It's hard to stay positive but it really is a marathon and it's especially tough when you have multiple joint issues.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom