Bilateral PKR On the other side

did you have a weather change or a big front come through? I know those sometimes play havoc with my knees
Thanks @eaglemom I don’t think so but I will pay more attention to this going forward. It is certainly a little colder than it was.
The meds are helping and I’m doing a lot less, while sticking at my relaxed extension stretch 3 x day.
I collected a second hand turbo trainer today to bring my bike indoors when I can find someone to get the Turbo out of the car, and do the engineering part and when I’m allowed to cycle again. Plus I had a grocery delivery today, and friends came over for a simple supper.
Another friend is popping in tomorrow and I have plenty of (Christmas) crafting and knitting to do, so I’m ok. I’ve also realised I can’t push through this, even several months on, however much I would like to, and this has been a surprise.
 
I hope resting / taking it easy is helping, Legeleven. Setbacks happen for everyone it seems. Thankfully they're usually short-lived. Enjoy time with your friend today and also your Christmas crafting. We all know how fast that time of year creeps up on us. Happy Saturday!

Just a reminder - :wink:
[Bonesmart.org] On the other side

@Legseleven
 
Week 13. Day 97.
So I’m on the 4th day of reduced exercising and regular ibuprofen, twice a day. No big walks. No chair pedals. It has made a big difference already. Less discomfort and the pain, which had increased a lot on Thursday, has diminished and there’s less stiffness. Remarkably so. I have another 3 more days to complete, possibly a little more following the physio’s instructions. I keep doing a few little bends and am up the stairs quite a bit so I’m not doing nothing. Plus I’m making sure to do the relaxed extension exercise on the left leg.
Onwards…
 
Hooray!!! I think it amazes a lot of people how much they actually do in a day, even when they are trying to take things easy after surgery. I’m glad to hear this reduction and mindfulness about your activity levels plus taking pain meds on a schedule has worked for you. It’s something we see over and over again with joint replacement patients and why we’ve stuck with this advice for our BoneSmarties for a very long time. It’s so nice to finally see a lot more support from the medical community for this approach.

Doing stairs several times a day is actually pretty major exercise, so be careful and add new things gradually once you’re ready. You’re doing great!
 
Glad you're feeling better @Legseleven
I know what you mean about NSAIDs, my GP seems terrified and put "the fear of God" into me about them because of my age but hospital doctors seem less concerned. I rarely use them but recently have taken the occasional dose (2 x200mg) if the pain and discomfort isn't controlled by paracetamol. Having the addition of a sore arm/shoulder after Flu and COVID vaccines last week is what prompted me to try.
 
Interesting @Newhip_Pol, thank you, because the physio says the effects are cumulative and need to be taken for 7-10 days to have the best results. I find for pain one single dose helps, however at over 3 months post op we are trying to reduce the increased inflammation in the joint. I’ll keep you all posted.
 
the physio says the effects are cumulative and need to be taken for 7-10 days to have the best results. I
The anti inflammatory effects definitely takes a while to work but I have felt the benefit after 2-3 days.
In my experience the most effective is Naproxen but that needs a GP prescription in the UK and you have to take Omeprazole for the the gastric side effects.
I took Naproxen for about 3- 4 months after my PKR but I also had back issues/ sciatica.
 
Thanks @EalingGran in my bag of meds from the hospital I do still have Naproxen 250mg and Lanprazole. Perhaps I should try to talk to GP next week?

Plus since the inflammation is reducing I’m getting some stonking zingers, especially in the left knee. So fierce at times the whole leg involuntarily jerks and twitches. It’s got to be progress.
 
Last edited:
Oh my, I remember those zingers. There is nothing else like them. Unless one experiences them, there is no explaining the pain. I thought of lightning bolts going through my knee, that's how I described them. Mine, too, would sometimes make my whole leg jump up. Then doing that hurt my knee on top of the zinger. Thank God, they don't last long. If I remember correctly, mine was bad for only a couple of weeks. Up to a year or so ago, I'd feel a very mild one in my numb area occasionally, and I would pat my knee and tell it I knew it still had some healing going on.
 
Yikes, so sorry you're experiencing those, @Legseleven! Progress is good, but would hope that might be possible without the zingers.

(I did enjoy READING the meaning of a "stonking zinger". Great phrase, but better not to be on the receiving end!)
 
Update. Day 102.
The last 8 days of Ibuprofen (400mg, 2 x day) and reduced exercise, plus extra relaxed extension sessions for the left leg, made a big difference. The physio was spot on. I’ve found day to day life easier this week and felt more like myself.
However, sadly this hasn’t lasted, and only 24 hours after the last NSAID dose the increase in both stiffness and pain is very noticeable. It’s somewhat disappointing and now I need to seek advice from the GP to come up with a plan to manage this going forward and any potential side effects. It’s now clear that the NSAIDs, even taken at this low dose, make a significant difference to my day to day life. Early this afternoon I could feel their lack, despite taking some paracetamol, and it now appears that it’s the anti inflammatory component which is making the difference. I’ve been out this evening and found the transfers from sit to stand were hugely challenging once again, even accepting the chair was fairly low.
Ah well. See what next week brings. It will get better, I do know this, so it’s back to the blinking patience muscle again, and the tricky matter of trying to get a GP’s appointment next week.
 
Hopefully your able to get into the GP next week and explain everything. I think more people working on this issue with you is a good thing - more idea's. That darned patience muscle is so annoying.

So what Christmas crafts are you working on? That peaked my interest!

eagle
 
I'm sorry you're struggling, Legseleven. Hopefully you're able to connect with your GP this week and come to an agreeable conclusion for your health / safety as far as pain relievers go. Better yet, the pain eases and you don't need to consider options. :fingersx: Wishing you a good week!
@Legseleven
 
Week 15. Day 106.
Thanks @Layla GP has prescribed Celecoxib 100mg BID for the stubborn inflammation for one month and then I’m to have a week off the meds to see how the knees are after this. Will take first one after tea tonight. I’m hoping it won’t make me sleepy as I need to be able to drive. There’s a drowsy warning on the box. If it does I’ll seek further help.
I’ve gone back to walking outside a couple of times a day as the rest of me feels better when I’m out and about.
Here’s hoping, onwards.
 
3 months post op is “only” 25% healed, in this year long recovery. There isn’t always a specific medication or fix to hurry up recovery, often it’s Time that is needed, and it’s often like a roller coaster.
 
Agree with @Jockette. I am pretty sure I was still taking Naproxen at your stage- although this was partly for other joint issues as well. You are still fairly early on.
It's difficult between 3-6 months as expectations rise ( both yours and other people's) and this recovery is definitely a marathon not a sprint. Also you had bilateral surgery which must be at least a bit harder. I had a pretty perfect "good" leg that I could lean on for standing/ climbing/ kneeling etc.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom