Bilateral PKR On the other side

I think that your doing beautifully. And going up stairs using alternate legs, bravo. It's good that you've planned ahead - I'm like that also. It never hurts to plan ahead, you can always cancel or change those plans. Working in your garden is so good for you. Just being outdoors and enjoying yourself is great. Keep it up - but at a controlled pace.
 
Week 12, Day 87.
A quieter Tuesday with only one outing only just about recovered the knees.
Yesterday was busy with a few short walks and included the matinee at the cinema.
I’ve been out for a few walks today, shorter ones, and my flu vaccine was cancelled this morning owing to the vaccines not arriving today. Rebooked for next week.
Perhaps it’s just as well as the energy drain has struck this afternoon, big time.
I thought I was past that, but clearly not. I’m wiped and could just sleep. Not like me at all.
So what I do is have a Power Nap - 20 mins on timer, with a cuppa tea after. Then I know I’ll still sleep tonight.
 
Last edited:
the energy drain has struck this afternoon, big time.
I thought I was past that, but clearly not.
Energy drain can last for months as your body continues to heal.

There is a good illustration of the process here if you scroll down to the second post in the thread.
 
Remember that full recovery usually takes a year. So, while you’re going to feel good most of the time, it is possible to have things like energy drain or bouts of overdoing things periodically during that time. Just go with your body and when it says it needs rest, your job is to follow orders. Our bodies are always in charge of the healing process.
 
Hello, hope your Friday is going well. Here’s the physio update. Week 12. Day 88.
The physio is pleased, says I’m doing very well for bilateral ops and for doing this solo.
I’m lacking a tiny bit of extension on the left leg so have to extend it a little more daily on a stool, or a towel. He carefully and gently worked on the tendons at the back of my knee. Otherwise to keep going with all I’m doing, pedals, walks etc and I’m back for the next appointment in 3 weeks.
Says I will get stronger and pain free and to ask the GP for another 6 weeks off as sick note runs out on Monday.
Stairs - I can keep building strength with using alternate legs up, but always to come down left first, as there’s still too much bone swelling.
So all in all pretty good.
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Great you can get more time off, if you feel you need it.
Keep doing what you're doing, it's working! :thumb:
@Legseleven
 
Thanks @Layla. There’s no way I could stand for several hours, let alone for a full shift. And carrying stuff at work, that’d be too hard too. TBH it’s all becoming a bit of a grind. Despite the good physio report the plateau I’m on appears infinite, although I’m sure in the end it won’t be. It just feels like this now.
All the way through I’ve done and continue to do everything I can to help the knees (and I) to recover and I often remind myself I’m only 25% in of a year long recovery. There’s still discomfort, pain at times, and a lot of stiffness. I massage the scars and apply scar cream daily. Some days I massage the muscles too. I do the extension stretches several times a day for the left leg and am now trying to extend the walking stride every so often.
The bone swelling the physio talks about appears to be the issue so I must keep hoping this improves asap. Meanwhile I keep busy and active with something community based to go out to, several x week, and lots of knitting/crafting, jigsaws and chores at home.
I have lived enough life to know this too will pass, and also that it’s too much to hope for a definitive timescale. It’s often darkest before the dawn, so here’s hoping the dawn is coming nearer. I’m ok really, I guess I just hoped and expected I’d be further on by now, especially as I’ve been so meticulous in the planning and execution. All bodies react individually and I guess mine just needs more time so it’s back to the PATIENCE MUSCLE.
I really, really miss having tea in bed in the morning, I can’t yet carry a cup upstairs, and I’m desperately longing for a bath, I can’t get in/out. Oh and to not think about the knees all the dashed time.
I’m keeping the faith, I’m just awake at silly o’clock and blathering. I’m normally one of the most positive and resilient people you could meet, and 3 months in this recovery is becoming one lengthy challenge.
PS I AM celebrating the little wins too - driving to see the family and back, walking a bit further, going up stairs alternating legs etc, etc.
Onwards….
 
If you want to enjoy tea in bed now, why not shop on Amazon and pick up an electric heating pot? They are wonderful for enjoying hot tea and you could easily put it on a table or dresser upstairs. If you don’t have a bathroom upstairs, you could get some bottled water.
 
Another vote for an electric kettle. I kept one in my office at work til I retired. I now have one in the kitchen and one in the art studio. The fancier kitchen one even has temperature settings for black tra, green tea, oolong tea, etc!!!
 
I think it's common to feel like progress has plateaued somewhat as you hit the three month point, but you will continue to make strides in the areas of physical gains and stamina. So as you said, keep the faith, and try to enjoy the ride the best you can. Happy Wednesday, hope it's a good one!
@Legseleven
 
really, really miss having tea in bed in the morning, I can’t yet carry a cup upstairs
Could you not get a kettle upstairs and buy those little milk sachets you get in hotel bedrooms?
 
Since I’m not a milk-in-tea drinker either and don’t know how it might taste, I’ll offer the suggestion of maybe using a powdered milk product. It might not be the same, but maybe worth a try.

You could always get a small lunch cooler and take it upstairs with you and a small bit of milk and an ice pack or frozen water bottle or two to keep it chilled through the night. Or….if you’re using an ice machine, put a small bit of milk in a sealed container and put it in the hopper with the ice.
 
That patience muscle certainly is the one that needs the work out! And it certainly is a wonderful thing when we finally get to that point of “not thinking about the knees all the time”
And isn’t it nice to have BoneSmart for those middle of the night rankings with people who get it!
 
Yes @Jacimarble it is, and you’re doing great.

Thanks to everyone for all the comments re tea and milk.

Increased pain and stiffness in my left knee today much to my dismay, even slightly inhibiting the stair climbing and just making me think even more about the knees.

I discussed meds with the pharmacist yesterday while having my flu jab. I’m considering trying ibuprofen again for one week only, after a good breakfast, and after tea. It’s what the physio wants me to try. Protecting the stomach is the most important thing and they said so long as I had plenty of protein and dairy before taking the meds to give it a go for a limited time only. I will see how I feel about it later today, and if I do try it again hopefully no more rashes will come.

Edited: Talked to the physio who confirmed it’s inflammation and I’m to have a quiet week. No pedals, no big walks just pottering. Pain level up to a 7 today on L knee. Back on both paracetamol and ibuprofen.

I really thought things would be getting much easier by now. I know it’s a blip. Thanks everyone.
Onwards …… again….
 
Last edited:
Those darned blips, they get you when you least expect it. Just for my curiosity, did you have a weather change or a big front come through? I know those sometimes play havoc with my knees. I realize you have inflammation, but you just never know. Take it easy and you'll get through this blip quickly.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
Back
Top Bottom