Bilateral PKR On the other side

So back from physio. PT still very happy with my progress, and says I’m still doing very well and have done everything right. Apparently, I’m ahead with my walking distances. Pleased with the pedalling too, now to be split to 3 x day.
He says the pain and stiffness on transfers (sit to stand) is likely to be from the bone swelling in the Patellafemoral compartment and time is the only answer for that.
Crutches for the foreseeable future too. I’ve nearly worn out the rubbers on the bases, will have to get some more. The pavements here are so rough.
Well back to K.B.O… there’s nothing else to be done.
 
Last edited:
He says the pain and stiffness on transfers (sit to stand) is likely to be from the bone swelling in the Patellafemoral compartment and time is the only answer for that.
Remember, this recovery takes an average of a year. You are rehabbing very sensibly and are coming along great.
 
Thank you @Loulou67 @mendogal @Jockette
I’m having a really slow start to today as my low back has unhelpfully decided to spasm. Applying heat and painkillers so I can start to move. It’s now going to be a very quiet day. This too will pass, it happens now and then and has done for years. I’ll be fine, and it’ll give the knees a rest today.
Nothing much on today except to make a beef stew in the pressure cooker and keep myself comfortable and mobile.
 
Thank you @Loulou67 @sistersinhim @mendogal for your kind words.
Thanks also @Newhip_Pol the stew was excellent, there’s more for lunch today and some for the freezer too.
Yesterday was a very quiet day, lying flat at every rest, helped by Naproxen ( plus omprazole) and paracetamol. Today it’s a little easier so I have switched to ibuprofen ( plus omprazole) and paracetamol. I’m just trying to get mobile enough today to have a shower, hopefully a bit later on. I’m still in my pyjamas. Yup, it’s been that bad, but it's slowly improving.
Thank you all for your support too; it all helps, especially navigating the post op reality whilst living alone.
My confession :heehee: is how watching episodes of Honeymoon Island and Married at First Sight has helped pass the time, nothing quite like ‘car crash’ telly.
I’ve also ordered my shopping for next weekend, I have a delivery every 2 weeks, and that’s working well. And I booked my Christmas delivery slot in case I need it. I’ve no idea what’s happening at all but it can be cancelled/altered up to 20th December.
Onwards.
 
@Legseleven i hope you have a better day today x
I too have succumbed to MAFS…….. nothing like a bit of “car crash” TV, as you said .
If you have Netflix, House of Guinness is worth a watch. Happy Sunday x
 
I’ve also ordered my shopping for next weekend, I have a delivery every 2 weeks, and that’s working well. And I booked my Christmas delivery slot in case I need it. I’ve no idea what’s happening at all but it can be cancelled/altered up to 20th December.
When I was growing up, we had an organization called The Girl Scouts for young girls. Our motto was Be Prepared. That is exactly what you are doing! It always helps to Be Prepared!
 
@sistersinhim yup, did you guess? I was also a Brownie, and then a Girl Guide, so I’ve been preparing the whole way through this challenging new chapter of my life.
Research, planning, organisation, logistics all with a lot of help and info from BS. I think I got most of it more or less right too.
Nevertheless the ‘lived experience’ cannot be pre-imagined as we’re all different and our bodies and systems react uniquely to it all. It’s 11 weeks tomorrow for me, and my legs have had a break this weekend as I’ve had no choice but to rest the low back completely and do the minimum. Hoping tomorrow that normal service will resume. Either the knees, or the bad back, are enough to cope with on a day to day basis but both together is definitely a double whammy. I think my body just said STOP, and I had no choice.
I’ve managed the shower, eventually, and got dressed. Now lying flat on my day bed, wiggling my knees to provide ‘motion is lotion’. I do keep getting up and gently moving. Whatever the medics say, I know after decades of spasms this is how my body releases my back best for me.
 
Last edited:
I think my body just said STOP, and I had no choice.
It is always best to listen and obey our bodies!
I know after decades of spasms this is how my body releases my back best for me.
We most always know what is best for our bodies. When something is wrong, we almost always know it.
 
Week 11, Day 78.
The back improved over the weekend as I hoped it would and I was out a little bit yesterday and a bit more today. I even helped tie shrubs back in the garden today as I had some ‘one off’ help in the garden for a couple of hours to prune and weed before winter.
My biggest progress is that I can now go upstairs using alternate legs, either using the two hand rails or one hand rail and one crutch. I tend to use the crutch as I need it upstairs and for coming I down. I know the coming down consecutively will be a while, but that’s fine, I expected this. It’s not all the time I can do this, but it’s a huge step up :heehee::heehee::heehee: along the recovery road. And it must help strengthen the muscles too.
 
Last edited:
Cheers to continued progress as you soldier on! You're coming up on three months already, WOW:xmark:
@Legseleven
 
Week 12, Day 84. Update.
On the whole I think my recovery is a good one and going to plan, even if it’s not quite fast enough for me. The caveat here is clearly @Roy Gardiner had an exceptional bilateral recovery, probably due in part to his younger age, and his strong physical health and previous fitness.
I’m now regularly doing 5,500 steps a day and I can now go up my 32 stairs alternating the legs as normal, but still with a crutch. Every so often I will try a few downwards steps alternating the legs just to test them out slowly. Some days, like today, I even go up to the attic five or six times. That’s a lot of stairs. I’m hoping this will build strength and ease the stiffness. I don’t deliberately go up and down this number of times, sometimes it’s to answer the door, or I forget something.
I try to walk more than a mile a day outside on my crutches in split walks and I’m building up to a mile in one go. Today and on Sunday I did .08 mile before lunch, with a second little walk later.
I’m getting more chores done, and doing more crafty activities. I’m still using the chair pedals for short sessions of a few minutes. The physio said little and often is best on these.
I have the physio again on Friday, so we will see what transpires, there’s definitely been some progress.
I still have some discomfort, sometimes pain. The zingers have changed a bit and can also make my knees jump unexpectedly, however they don’t last. Nights are still uncomfortable with some bouts of pain waking me and I have to change my position, although I’m sleeping well enough. Moving, or turning over is all I have to do and the pain goes.
Work have been fine, and realised I’d be off a bit longer. I’ve found community things to go to most days, even if just for a cuppa, so that helps me with a purpose for my daily walks and gives me a bit of connection. The busier I am the less I think about my knees.
Thanks all. Onwards…
 
You're doing really well, Legseleven. Your mobility and strength are improving and you have a lot to look forward to as you continue your journey. Happy Tuesday!
@Legseleven
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom