Bilateral PKR On the other side

Google says first walk was .45 mile. Still on 2 crutches outside as the pavements are diabolically uneven
Well done!
I know what you mean about uneven pavements. We have those in London too, with all the tree roots. Use the crutches for as long as you need them.
I then bought a folding walking stick and used it for about 6-7 months until I was 100 percent confident I could cope with tricky pavements.
I am still debating whether to take it for a holiday with a particularly rocky hike even after a couple of years.
 
I have a cane in my car for the 'just in case' moments. (And in various places throughout the house.)
This is years post op. But I'm sometimes just wanting that little bit of stability it give me. When we travel I have a folding one and it goes everywhere with me, for the same purpose. I chose to look at it like a badge of courage - look I'm out doing things, now get out of my way!

Falling is my fear. Do be careful always looking down though or you'll walk where you shouldn't.
 
Day 56 (week 8)
Regular hospital appt today, which the knee surgery date pivoted on, in order that I could walk to my regular 8 wk appt. :walking: Success.

Walked a bit, chair pedalled a bit, went up and down the 3 steps forwards and backwards a few times. You’re right @Layla it is a huge slog at times, often more mental than physical although at times, and some days are still challenging, I think because daily life is altered.
However progress has been made in that I can now sit in my regular chair easily, and my back prefers it, and it feels more normal and makes knitting easier. So far I’ve done 8 weeks of crochet.
Onwards.
Eventually it’ll all come right.
Still trying to strengthen the patience muscle. :heehee:
 
Patience is it's own kind of rehab, it is strengthening your ability to handle the slow progress of recovery without getting discouraged. All of your small gains are adding up though, Legseleven. Be proud of the great progress you're making. I hope you have a very nice week. :thumb:
@Legseleven
 
Week 8
Day 57
Currently lying with my feet up on the BS style 3 pillows after icing well.
Time will tell if I got away with standing outside for a task today for quite a while.
I was busy, it was sunny, and I didn’t much feel the knees, it’s a good test for them and as it’s 8 weeks I know it’s not likely to damage them. Done a few extra stairs today too. Didn’t sit down for about 3 hours as I pottered about. Longest ever.
Made my heart glad and I while I was busy I felt normal.:loveshwr: I’ll report tomorrow. Back to textiles and reading this afternoon.

PS forgot to say yesterday that I stopped all pain meds a few days ago to give the liver and body a rest. I was fed up with the weird histamine type episodes and have stopped everything including antihistamines. Any pain so far has been manageable with ice and distractions.
 
More progress...good for you! I hope you don't feel any negative effect for enjoying being busy yesterday.
I don't blame you for stopping the pain meds if you're able to remain reasonably comfortable and mobile with out them. Thank goodness for ice. I was pretty much an icing fanatic in early recovery. I understand it's not for everyone, but I was very thankful for it. I hope you have a nice Wednesday!
@Legseleven
 
Day 58
Okay so my knees told me last night I’d done a little bit much.
I did cave and take 2 paracetamol before lights out and used an emergency ice pack too. (The cryocuff stays downstairs).
But stiffer this morning, and just felt a bit more tired. So a good result really.
I long for the day when I no longer think about my knees before anything else. It will come.
So not to be downhearted or put off by trying to do a bit more, I have already had 2 outside walks today, wiped the kitchen worktops, emptied the dishwasher, and done 3 mins chair pedals.
I’m on my fourth icing session of the day while I write this.
 
I long for the day when I no longer think about my knees before anything else. It will come.
You will get there! I remember thinking the same thing. Now, I rarely think about my TKR. Unfortunately, I do have some discomfort now, but it's from my hip, not my knee, that's doing great! You are already closer to that day than you were a few weeks ago.
 
long for the day when I no longer think about my knees before anything else
I know exactly what you mean.
I remember really appreciating short bursts of not noticing my knee- like the first time I was able to sit outside at a National Trust coffee shop with friends for about 40 minutes with my leg down and actually enjoying myself.
It will come.
Now I only think about/ notice my knee after a really serious hilly hike or or a day with a shed load of stairs ( like escalators out of action on the Tube).
 
Day 59 (Week8)
So doing ok and progressing slowly. The stiffness of the joints is probably the top issue. I do a few mins on the chair pedals twice a day and keep walking, and a few other exercises, Increasing the walk distances and frequencies.
Sit to stand is still challenging….
See what physio says tomorrow. The hospital physios said after the op it was part of this particular PKR especially at 4-6 weeks, so I’m still hoping it’ll resolve.
I’m really hoping it’ll improve as stiff and sticking knees was one of the main reasons for the op.
The other main issue is the “Ow” in bed, frequent position changes needed to help with this. I still sleep ok, just wake say “Ow” move and go back to sleep.
It’s still early days and I hope and trust it’ll all pay off, and one day coming I won’t even have to think of my knees. I’m grateful for all your comments and prior experience.
Patience, patience…
 
progressing slowly.
As you should.
Healing continues for months, and improvements for up to a full year, many still noting improvement into their second and third years post op. I know you've heard this, so take comfort and continue reminding yourself. You're doing it right, Legseleven. Good luck with physio tomorrow! Let us know how it goes.
 
@Legseleven - catching up with your posts and hoping that you're progressing well. I've also opened a notepad file and copied what I'm calling Leg11's Greatest Quips. The first one on the list is "Exercising my patience muscle today" - permission to use in the wild, ma'am. Also, I'm writing this even before I've updated my post. Have you had many zingers? I had a slew two weeks ago, Monday night. I've honestly never been so happy to be woken up in the middle of the night (Wide Awake Club). I saw the redness pictures, and I had that too, also only temporary for me - hopefully the same for you. I also live in stairsville, USA. Multi-floor (3 floors for me) living is challenging for recoveries like ours. I look at each step and say "each step is physical therapy opportunity, and PT helps me heal". Corny, but it's what keeps me going. Best wishes, as I'm off to update my own recovery...
 
Thanks @Tosh30 I shall look for your thread update. I did read it before my op. Not many of us bilaterals about. Yes I’ve had zingers, more a wave of prickles going up/down legs. And a few sharp zings too.
Today I had a community cuppa in the morning for my first walk, and later my first ‘hunter gatherer’ outing into a supermarket for a top up of a few things. I had help with the trolley, I guess I’m not quite ready for solo shopping yet. I’ll continue with ann online order next week, as that’s working well and they carry it into the kitchen.
Still it was a day full of wet squalls so most of my exercise was indoors. On Tuesday I counted I did 124 stairs, that’s some PT. (Across the day, not all at once).
 
Thanks @Tosh30 I shall look for your thread update. I did read it before my op. Not many of us bilaterals about.
Now that you are further along in your recovery, you might want to check out other bilateral PKRs again. You might have a different perspective reading them than you did before your surgery.
 
Back from the physio.
Everything is good, and they’re very happy with my progress especially for bilaterals.
Everything is mechanically sound and I had a really lovely and thorough massage on the left knee, wow that felt so much better after.
I’m instructed to USE MY PATIENCE MUSCLE MORE, while continuing to gradually increase everything I’m doing, just as I’ve done up to now.
As the experts on BS repeatedly say there’s still a lot of deep healing to be done and all will be well in the end.
Meanwhile I walked .6 of a mile this morning and some more this afternoon.
Slowly does it. Next appointment in 2 weeks.
Onwards… thanks everyone.
 
What an outstanding report. Just think of everyone you are encouraging. Now, if I could just dust off my patience muscle and use it more!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom