Bilateral PKR On the other side

Thank you @mendogal will try to keep this in mind. :fingersx: ( hope this fingers crossed and not something else altogether! )

Oh and had to have 40 winks this afternoon when the energy drain hit… strange how it comes out of the blue like that.
 
That energy drain is real! I knew my overall body healing was well along when I didn't need to retreat to a recliner or similar resting place for a prolonged spell, awake or asleep, every day.
 
Week 6.
Day 47.
The physio is really pleased with me and said that I’m much further on than they thought I would be, especially for bilateral.

I have a new exercise to do for the left leg only. I have to rest it on a towel to let the leg relax fully and extend, I have already been doing this part, then the new bit is to engage my foot and ankle, bringing my big toe up as upright as I can up towards my knee and when that’s engaged to lift my whole leg 10x, 3x a day. This is something to do with being able to walk properly as apparently the left knee joint is just not quite engaging/working as it should, yet. They think only two or three days of this will make the difference. I’ll be trying 5 x first while I get used to it as it’s a bit uncomfortable.
I also have suggestions to help my back.

Continuing with crutches outside, and one on the stairs, inside depends on how I am so one, or none. Progress.
I’m going to see how I get on with all this, so long as it doesn’t inflame the knee and limit the range of motion because I’ve learnt that too much of anything can set off swelling and then set me back a few days so all in all I’m quite pleased.

Onwards.
 
Your last six words say it all - all in all I'm quite pleased. That's wonderful. Take it easy with the new exercise making sure you don't swell or anything. Great work.
 
Week 6
Day 48
Been ok today, just done left leg exercise a few times, not 10.
See how tonight is, last night wasn’t the best, but that happens every few nights anyway. I seem to have good sleeps followed by not so good, and as far as I can tell it isn’t always activity dependent.
Done my 3 lane walks, plus got into the studio, and did the next online shop, coming mid week, and some laundry.
Tomorrow I hope to walk a different route, ring the changes a little.
 
FWIW, my sleep disturbances lasted a good three months, with rotating sleep aids alternating with none, accepting that 1 night out of three would probably be restless and reading.... it DOES get better, and given how good your physical recovery is going my guess is the next couple of weeks you'll see real improvement with sleep as well.
 
Week 7
Day 49

Thanks @mendogal I haven’t tried any sleep aids. What suggestions do you have?

Today good so far, drove to my community group, a few miles away, and stayed for the 2 hours. So lovely to see everyone. Came home then a friend popped in for lunch, we had beans on toast. Easy peasy.

Afterwards I iced and rested for a while as I’m out again this evening for another local group thing. Won’t stay the full time. Tomorrow will be very quiet, hope I might get to the attic again. With the Autumn term and school starting the group activities are starting up again too, and I am more than ready for some connection.

To manage my energy I swerved the shower, did no extra jobs, and I have a poppity ping meal for tonight.

It does feel like progress. Yay!
 
Icing, elevating, napping.... All help, but you might also consider some nonprescription remedies....

If you're lactose tolerant, a glass of warm milk! If you're not diabetic, a teeny bit of honey makes it even more comforting... plus milk is high in magnesium! Helps us relax!

If you aren't a milk drinker, or want an easier way to, an evening magnesium supplement has been very helpful for some members.

OTC diphenhydramine, an antihistamine also used as a sleep aid (Benadryl) because it makes you drowsy; it's also included in some cold, flu, etc "nighttime" combination meds.

Low dose melatonin, sustained release - not for long term use but I have used for a week at a time without ill effect. It should be taken an hour to hour and a half before going to bed, and during that time stay in a dimly lit area to allow this hormone to activate.

Valerian root - an herbal remedy, it can be taken in capsule form but that dose might be high compared to my preference, herbal "sleep" blends that include a smaller dose of valerian and make me pleasantly drowsy. Plus the other tea flavorings make it nice tasting! Celestial Seasonings and Traditional Medicinals sell teabags by the box. Their sleep blends without valerian have never ever made me sleepy.

What finally worked for me: a mug of sleep tea with valerian followed by a 3 mg sustained release melatonin, immediately going into a dimly lit room and relaxing. When I got sleepy, turning off the light and lying down with my legs up on the Lounge Doctor. After a few hours I would wake, move the Lounge Doctor away, and sleep more.

Be aware: even benign herbals and supplements can interact with your routine or post op prescription meds, either making their effects weaker or stronger. If you're on meds you may want to check with your doctor or pharmacist, or even check online for interactions.
 
I haven’t tried any sleep aids. What suggestions do you have?
I occasionally use Doxylamine Succinate, which can be bought at numerous places. This is the main ingredient in Unisom.

It sounds like your recovery is going well with your sensible life!


​

 
Hello Legseleven, Happy Monday!

For sleep...My go to is Magnesium.
Magnesium supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)


An article on Magnesium -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

Now that you have a few suggestions, if you try any and one in particular works, please let us know as a community. Always helpful for other members because sleep issues are so common early on.
Have a wonderful week! :)
 
Interesting replies, thank you.
To clarify I have no trouble going to sleep, sometimes it’s the staying asleep in the early hours… ie: late onset waking that’s my problem.

I will try the magnesium supplement, although I’ve discovered there’s several various types available… I’ll do some more research.
Unfortunately, some of these other suggestions are not available in the Uk. We can’t buy melatonin and so on.

Thanks again :loveshwr:
 
OTC diphenhydramine, an antihistamine also used as a sleep aid (Benadryl) because it
Diphenhydramine is sold as Nytol in the UK. There are two strengths. The two a night version is actually weaker than the one a night.
I am actually pretty sensitive to Nytol and I find even half of the lower strength works for me. Too much and I get a bit of a hangover.
I also find herbal Valerian ( sold as herbal Nytol in Boots) also works for me.
I alternated these to avoid any chance of becoming tolerant.
In the early weeks once I was off any opiates I got my GP to give me a small prescription of sleeping tablets ( zopiclone). Again Ifound halving the 7.5mg dosage worked for me and made them last longer. GPs are very reluctant to prescribe Z drugs but many will accept recovering from a knee replacement as a legitimate reason. Especially as you have had bilateral operations.
Poor sleep is pretty universal after TKR.
Even small amounts of pain that can be ignored during the day are unpleasant enough to keep us awake. Good sleep really helps recovery.
 
You might be experiencing some low-grade pain as you sleep. My go-to in these cases is a dose of Tylenol (paracetamol). Try one or two 500mg tablets and see if that lets you get back to sleep more easily.
 
I’ll do some more research.
I will add that I only use Magnesium Glycinate because it is considered one if the easiest forms on the digestive tract. Gentle on the stomach less likely than other forms to cause diarrhea, or stomach upset, and who wants that?!! :nah:
 
Week 7
Day 50
Taking it very easy today, as last night my knees were bright red! Icing helped and they seem to be back to their recovering selves today. Weird! No idea why or how as wearing shorts, and not happened before.
Yesterday was quite a busy day, and diary management is challenging when there are things beyond one’s control; and needing to consider one’s whole self, and not just the knees, I know it’s vital to re engage with normality. I was out twice, for sedentary activities and company, and I rested and iced for several hours in between. Getting in/out the car was trickiest. Thursday will be another big day as it’s the OS review a hour away, but I’m being driven and mostly sitting so Friday will also be very quiet. Getting in the passenger side is easier too. Driving is absolutely no problem.
Still on pain meds. Paracetamol 3 or 4 x day and ibuprofen 2 x day after breakfast and tea, with an omprazole in the morning. I worked out that the rashes and madly itching hands and feet were just my body overreacting to things, it happens occasionally and a few days or sometimes a few weeks of fexofenadine resets it. It all started a couple of years ago after a long bout of AB’s after a nasty chest infection. We have never got to the bottom of it, but I seem to be able to manage it with the antihistamines. Perhaps the knee redness was another part of this, although there was no tingling or itching, just heat?
Have a great day.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] On the other side
    IMG_4143.webp
    34.5 KB · Views: 30
Hmm, interesting, I do see the redness. So assuming that photo was yesterday and your knees look better today?
It is common to see some redness in the area because of the increased blood flow to healing tissue, but generally I think it's more of an overall pinkish, or redness. You mentioned wearing shorts, were your bare knees exposed to the sun for any length of time I'm wondering? It doesn't sound like you were engaged in overactivity. You were active, but what you mentioned certainly sounds reasonable seven weeks post op. It was wise to snap a photo since you will see your OS in two days, you may want to show him and get his opinion so your mind is at ease if it happens again. I hope you enjoyed your time out yesterday!

Have you tried placing a garbage bag on the car seat making it easier to swivel front facing (windshield) after you first sit on the car seat? It works well if you haven't tried it.

I hope you have a great couple of days before your trek to the OS on Thursday. I bet he'll be happy for you and pleased with your progress. You'll have to tell us all about it.
Happy Tuesday, Legseleven! :)
@Legseleven
 
Thanks @Layla - no sun and there’s no redness today and I’m icing well after each exertion. Two walks outside so far and once to the attic. Stairs are becoming a bit more uncomfortable this week but as I have lots of them I’m just slowly persevering and always icing after. It’s a slight bummer as that was why I had them done, so I’m not yet better off, but as it’s only 7 weeks out of 52 I’m sure it’ll improve. It’s the coming down that’s worse, so I’m concentrating on how to use my crutch.
 
Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom